A STRONG case for a Infiltrator Demo Release from Epic by Christmas!

I asked this question once in a stream and never got a direct answer other than stay tuned from Dana (who is a wonderful person :p).

There’s so many benefits and potential for this demo in terms of learning, prototyping with AAA quality assets and editing.
I just got the plat-former demo and i’m excited because i’m currently using it to prototype a third person shared open world system. I’m already finished working on the remastered animation blueprint and setting up the new controls for the plat-former character. Will perform other things such as texture remastering for the character and environment.

But Infiltrator Demo is on a league of its own. Below I will list why it should be released and why i would pay $59 for it.
Its not a tech demo, its a game. And When its released. I vow right here right now that i wont sleep till i make it playable.

This literally the only demo with AAA graphics that could be considered a game.
others are mere tech demo or 2d or LQ game.
The graphics in this demo is by far better than any released next gen game outside of Ryse: Son of Rome.

Lighting

The way lighting is setup here is interesting and worth learning.
The use/amount of spot/point lights. Their range and values.
Techniques such as offsetting light color to set tone, interesting light bounces…
How to achieve the overall look of the map.

Hologram

Amazing hologram effect seen at the early of the demo.
Would like to see how that is put together.
Also the mirror like cloak and visor effect.

LENS FLARES “jj abrams” Lens Flares

How lens flares particle effect were setup.
It was used in the entire scene with different colors, brightness and length, on lights, boosters for the flying robot, eyes, and so forth.
cooking flames particles behind the robot aswells.
Lens flare is one of the most used effect in games and movies today.
check out Destiny with its brilliant use of lens flares.

Material Wetness Quality

The wetness look of the entire scene is well done.
would like to know if its universal or done individually to each asset.

Characters

Amazing high quality character assets.
Second to none. These are AAA quality characters that can be used for prototyping.
I was disappointed by the characters released in the matinee demo.
Infiltrator is where its at.

Hair Simulation

There is some kind of simulation going on here.
It bounces and moves. How is it done?

Post Process

I think this is the most amazing part of demo.
The image quality beats any next gen game released so far.
Idk if its the result of the post process technique.
The color correction value, soft image (not sharp).
How is that possible? The softness reminds me of Watchdogs 2012 E3 Reveal.
Is it blur? what are the values?
How many color grading texture is used?

**Animation
This is prime target for hacking (I havent touched on keyframing and editing animations, I assume you would be able to edit animations used in cinema and cut them out for playable use).
So many potential animations there;
Walking, Running, with/without gun.
Walking with Gun pointed
That slick realistic turn around to see if someone is there.
Jumping,
Climbing,
Hanging,
Reloading,
shooting from hip,
aimed shooting,
holster weapon,
sliding,
cover mechanics
different dying animation

So EPIC if you could make a statement on the future of the infiltrator Demo.
A timetable perhaps? if not can you start a preliminary talk about it to the team or put it on your Trello RoadMap.
Have people vote on it or something. Maybe work on it during your free Fridays.

This would be the best Christmas present. I would literally pay for it if i had to.

Who wouldn’t like to see this made available? I know it’s been spoken about a few times, but as of yet nothing is confirmed. I’d also love to see the Samaritan demo made available - though, I believe that runs on Unreal Engine 3, if I recall correctly. It’s also been spoken about on the prior Twitch streams; so hopefully they’ll port that one over in the future as well.

Fingers crossed they’ll release this one soon, though! :wink:

yeah would be cool if one of the EPIC staff confirms it. the reason for the list is because some in another thread said there wouldn’t be a point in releasing the demo since we have access to the content examples.
almost blasphemous. so i had to post the list above outlining a few reasons why.

All the demos that has been hinted on or was up on the marketplace as coming soon is here.
There are no more confirmed ones. Plat-former was the last.

It makes me worry about the infiltrator :confused:

As i heard Samaritan was made with pimped UE3

I agree. Even if its an exaggerated setup, messing with it would inevitably learn from it. Personally I’m most interested in the materials, the cloak effect and the light. Additionally I highly suspect I can find reusable assets for my project as well.

Please spend a couple of days cleaning the demo project so we can all upgrade our skills and make prettier games.

Would love to see this on the marketplace :smiley:

The Character has just been rigged with some bones that are set to use simple physics.
That’s why they chose dreadlocks, they are easier to rig. :wink:

It’s the same way Owen’s cloak is done.

Hey Bladerskb, it has been discussed internally many times, but I’m pretty sure it’s currently up in the air. I’ll look into what’s going on with it now and see if I can get a more definitive answer.

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Also, that last image is actually from Watchdogs, not Infiltrator. Not sure how that got in there.

Infiltrator is such an awesome demo. If Epic release this on Marketplace that would be AAA Epic!! :smiley:

Maybe we can make a little game out of it with that level demonstrated in the video…Multiplayer Infiltrator :smiley: :smiley:

Thank you, will be anticipating the definitive answers.
Also yes I did put that 2012 image of WD on purpose. Just to show and compare the post process.
WD back in 12’ had the same soft image quality, soft colors and and sort of de-saturated look that we see through out the infiltrator demo.
This is in-contrast to alot of sharp IQ we see in some games which are not realistic.

A good comparison is this video of project cars in 2012 versus project cars in 2014.
The old graphics were alot softer and realistic, while the newer were sharp and game-like.
Plus notice how alot of people wanted the 2012 version because it looked more realistic despite the fact it was 2 years old.

Again, its good to know its been discussed internally. There alot of good techniques, content in that demo and nobody wants to see it go to waste.
Will be anticipating the definitive answer concerning this.

That would be brilliant indeed. Would be a fun project for the entire community to take part of.

As has probably figured out, Infiltrator is a massive project that was not optimized for public release when we first made it. If we were to release it, it would be a massive undertaking. Even compared to Elemental. In fact it is much much larger than Elemental (Hint: none of those buildings and cities in the background are painted on).

That being said, we actually would like to one day optimize it and make it a part of some kind of big announcement. That day won’t be soon, so don’t hold your breath for it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi,
What do you mean by “not optimized for public release”?

http://www.ovuline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/sad-baby.gif

interesting knowing the city environment weren’t faked. just as asked, would like to know what optimized mean.
does that mean cutting features such as the rendered city and painting it or simply reiterating on them and making them more efficient, streamlined, and organized?

hopefully that day comes by Q1 2015. :confused:

I can understand the optimization issue. Thing is, I think a demo like that should be left for relatively high-end machines. I am pretty sure the demo ran on a GTX 680 (correct me if I am wrong about that), but I think if the demo is able to support like a 660 Ti or higher, then that would be good enough. This demo is a high-end demo by design, and that shouldn’t change; it would defeat the entire purpose.

It would be even better if Epic did a poll and ask if users care if this demo is optimized or are users happy to get their hands on unoptimized version of it.

This would be awesome! I really hope it becomes available some day!

i concur. i rather have the original but streamlined and organized demo than a optimized one that greatly reduces the visual fidelity.
alot of the demos released so far I would classify as low end or mid-end demo. Only the elemental demo i would consider high-end in terms of IQ and graphic demand.

Looking at the WIP section and results from weakly UE4 search on youtube. You would think UE4 was made specifically for arch visualization.

There’s are large volume of ArchViz work flowing right now. but very few, almost countable by the fingers of game art viz.
Why? Because the Realistic Render demo really paved the path for arch visualization.

One of the reasons why there are few game environment visualization is you need to accurate place dozens (sometimes in the triple digits) of lights. You are not dealing with just one directional light. You also need good PP and color grading to get the movie/game look.
Some visual effect technique like lens flares, volumetric light, lit smoke/mist/dust/steam to get a AAA-que game environment.

I would like to see more game art viz. and i think the infiltrator demo would be the igniter.

To clarify that, it was made without the user in mind. There is little in the way of comments or notes for making sense of things. You could infer ideas, but you would really be doing a lot of guess work. Also orphan nodes, unused materials/textures, extra bits that got thrown in and not removed entirely bog it down a bit.

Releasing it “raw” would just lead to us spending even more time talking to users about what they are seeing and why things happen.

It’s not impossible or off the table at all, it’s just a time/energy/priority thing. Focusing on that project would take away resources and we are working on a critical build right now. Keep tuned in though, we really want to give the community all the resources possible. Does that all make sense? I don’t want you all thinking I am saying “never” when really I am saying “yes, it will just take some time”

EDIT:

Nope, we’d be doing it to the stuff you can’t even really see. All the “stuff” you see would appear the same, but it would be easier to open it up in the editor and take it apart.

Hi, thank you for your answer. Really appreciated.

My thoughts:

1. Release to the public raw with disclaimer saying that Epic will NOT answer any question regarding inner-workings of that demo due to the reason you’ve given:“Focusing on that project would take away resources and we are working on a critical build right now.”

2. Create separate thread dedicated to Infiltrator Demo, where community would work on it and its ins and outs and answered questions to each other.

Those two points have the significance that you (Epic) would not have to spend time and resources on polishing this demo (make it ready for public).

Could somebody make a poll on how community feel about what I’ve just suggested?

Thank you.