User Tag List

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by James Barnette View Post
    Bug!!!

Wave Set Time Multiplier locks to 0.0 if you try to change it.

even trying to manually type it in results in a value of 0.0. thus freezing the waves.

Great work thus far.
    This is a really weird and unnecessary bug... I went back and checked my master project to see what was different, and it turns out the ONLY thing was in the BP_OceanSystem variables, WaveSetTimeMultipler had a "Slider value" range of 0 - 0 when it should have been 0 - 10. I changed it back, and it works again. Looks like something went wrong when I migrated the content over to the demo project. Here is the setting so you can fix it on your end without having to download everything again, change the two values I have marked in the image below to 10 and then compile & save the blueprint, it should now work correctly.

Features request: A preset drop down for presets values that relate the Beaufort scale. This is a how the ocean waves are categorized.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I was planning to include presets for the weather as well, so I will add this to my list!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [Free Community Project/Plugin] WIP Dynamic Ocean & Calendar Based Sky
    New Features:: Highly accurate sun/moon position, and lunar phase calculations built into the plugin (base class for the SkyDome blueprint)
    In Progress: Weather simulation w/ volumetric clouds

Mythic

Ok,....2 more issues rendering related. In the image below the biggest one is that is seems that the mask for the foam is being calculated as a depth calculation similar to the way depth-fade is calculated. This has a very obvious flaw in its approach. as you can see the foam clips when it extends beyond the object. This approach will work fine for a shoreline but fails for anything that doesn't extend beyond the foam itself.

The mask for objects breaking the surface of the ocean should be and AO based approach.

The second issue and I'm not sure what this one is but I know it has something to do with Depth fade.. it appears that The depth fade calculation is somehow clipping you specular in the material causing it to mask out objects that are under the surface. this seems to only apply to mesh objects and not BSP or landscapes.
    Yeah the foam is no where near ideal, I left it in as I have not come up with a better system yet unfortunately. Do you have any more info on the AO technique? Moving it out of base color would help as I don't like calling DepthFade so many times along the line, it is bound to cause issues (maybe even the one you show in the image). Before I added in the foam the opacity depth worked much better, now it seems to only affect the color instead of actually fading by distance.

Thanks for reporting these issues!

EDIT: Looking into this a bit more it looks like the DepthFade is inverted somehow, the translucency should pull away from in front of the camera when the value is decreased, instead it is making the areas furthest from the camera translucent first, the lower the value, the closer it comes to the camera. I'm not going to upload a new version of this until I get this sorted out, the TimeMultipler fix is fairly simple, but this is not good at all...

EDIT #2: So after some more investigating the normal output from the wave calculations is causing major problems in the DepthFade for Opacity & Base Color. I have simply removed the connection from the 2 DepthFade node's and can see a big improvement to the overall look.

I will be updating the links shortly with this fix in place, it is not the answer to this issue but makes a big difference.
    Last edited by DotCam; 11-02-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: More investigating
    New Features:: Highly accurate sun/moon position, and lunar phase calculations built into the plugin (base class for the SkyDome blueprint)

Samaritan

I have to say DotCam, this is really incredible work! Keep it up. I love how easy it is to customize it to your liking. Seriously great!
    Full Time UE4 Tutor! www.tesla-dev.com
    Watch, Learn & Create using my tutorials here: *https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwqnA65RFUf-8xIFQYV8Zjziv4gUqjLZ_*

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I have to say DotCam, this is really incredible work! Keep it up. I love how easy it is to customize it to your liking. Seriously great!
    Hey thanks Tesla! I saw all of the requests for some kind of water system and decided to do something about it, it has been a great learning experience for me so far, but is still far from complete. Glad you like it though!

I'm just uploading the new files, there was a couple of bugs and rendering issues with the depth fade and opacity, they have been temporarily fixed, but will still be working on a permanent fix as well.

Your tutorials have been a huge help, I spent the first six months just leaning UE4 through tutorials like yours, so thank you for providing them!

Let me know if you have any ideas to improve the system!

Quote Originally Posted by DotCam View Post
    Yeah the foam is no where near ideal, I left it in as I have not come up with a better system yet unfortunately. Do you have any more info on the AO technique?

I know that there is a AO being done. But I don't know how you can access it . it is available as a buffer. It would need to be inverted and have its contrast adjusted but in theory should provide a perfect masking solution for object penetrating the water. the other solution would be to do the math and calculate it yourself to give you more control.

I did find this. But honestly it is way over my head. http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/graphics-programming-and-theory/a-simple-and-practical-approach-to-ssao-r2753

Not sure if that would work though you are prolly going to need a solution that avoids self occlusion and only calculates for other objects.

Also note that this is not practical for the shore line and that the depth based approach is prolly more effective there.
    Last edited by James Barnette; 11-03-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: additional information

Mythic

I know that there is a AO being done. But I don't know how you can access it . it is available as a buffer. It would need to be inverted and have its contrast adjusted but in theory should provide a perfect masking solution for object penetrating the water. the other solution would be to do the math and calculate it yourself to give you more control.

I did find this. But honestly it is way over my head. http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/graphics-programming-and-theory/a-simple-and-practical-approach-to-ssao-r2753

Not sure if that would work though you are prolly going to need a solution that avoids self occlusion and only calculates for other objects.

Also note that this is not practical for the shore line and that the depth based approach is prolly more effective there.
    Yeah I think that's too far over my head as well for now, but I can see how that system would help. I was also thinking about recreating the mesh (which I am doing anyways) to use a separate material near the shoreline, only difficulty is not everyone's shoreline is going to be the same shape. I'm also looking into constructing multiple smaller panels through the construction script, just not sure how difficult it would be to construct them so they follow the landscape (or whether that would even work in the first place - never mind the performance implications). The material is in WSC so multiple panels will line up properly and can overlap, I'm just not sure if multiple overlapping sections are possible with the translucency issues noted previously.

Anyways thanks for the info, will test out these ideas this week.

Ok So it looks like the AO can be pulled in using a SceneTexture Node. You can then go into the list and select the AO buffer.

Not sure if this means that you just also have to generate a foam pass and then use it to mask the 2 passes after the fact or what. That part is a little beyond me. I know that is a offline rendering world we would do it that way and put it together in post.
    Last edited by James Barnette; 11-06-2014 at 12:09 PM.

hi
    I really like this but when will Buoyancy be added to it?

Name:  HEROTPP.JPG
Views: 4418
Size:  35.2 KB

Please can you add some water reac/impact flash at HeroTpp body character. Thanks.

Jesus Christ, this is the most intimidating material set I have ever seen. My mind melts just looking at it.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by danielpeles View Post
    hi
    I really like this but when will Buoyancy be added to it?
    I will be adding buoyancy very soon, along with a couple other new features

Quote Originally Posted by Peude View Post
    Please can you add some water reac/impact flash at HeroTpp body character. Thanks.
    This is another feature I have been working on, creating particle effects for splashes (as well as rain), I am working out the details but this should also be in the next release with buoyancy.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenGingrich View Post
    Jesus Christ, this is the most intimidating material set I have ever seen. My mind melts just looking at it.
    Ha! lol...Yeah I know it is fairly complex, even with everything placed into parameters & functions it is still a large material (over 600 instructions). If your mind isn't melting enough from that, have a look at the math involved (this is for calculating a single Gerstner wave)

Name:  GerstnerEqu01.jpg
Views: 4393
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  GerstnerEqu02.jpg
Views: 4394
Size:  21.8 KB

I just wanted to say thank you DotCam for all the hard work and making this project a reality!! It just looks sick and cant wait for your next version!! Best of luck with the next release!

Luminary
    Any ETA on Buoyancy?

EDIT: Had to edit my post to ask another question.

How would I go about syncing multiple Water planes together in the world composition tools to look like they are one mesh?

Just curious,

HeadClot
    Last edited by HeadClot; 11-18-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Former Staff
    Nice work, the weather really makes it come alive. Particularly the lightning! Also love the foam off the rocks. As I posted on another ocean shader post, would love to see some ocean spray here and there... Still awesome without it though!

Name:  HEROTPP.JPG
Views: 4418
Size:  35.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DotCam View Post
    I will be adding buoyancy very soon, along with a couple other new features

This is another feature I have been working on, creating particle effects for splashes (as well as rain), I am working out the details but this should also be in the next release with buoyancy.

Ha! lol...Yeah I know it is fairly complex, even with everything placed into parameters & functions it is still a large material (over 600 instructions). If your mind isn't melting enough from that, have a look at the math involved (this is for calculating a single Gerstner wave)

Name:  GerstnerEqu01.jpg
Views: 4393
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  GerstnerEqu02.jpg
Views: 4394
Size:  21.8 KB
    Thanks.. for this free project you made.. i hope this will add to UE4 Modes at Landscape thanks for your answer.. Good luck

Just wanted to say thank you for the awesome work. I can't wait to see what you have planed for the next release.

Former Staff
    Bug!!!

Wave Set Time Multiplier locks to 0.0 if you try to change it.

even trying to manually type it in results in a value of 0.0. thus freezing the waves.

Great work thus far.

Features request: A preset drop down for presets values that relate the Beaufort scale. This is a how the ocean waves are categorized.
    If you feel this is a bug please report this on the Answer Hub: https://answers.unrealengine.com/ and include a link back to this post. That is also where you would want to post a feature request.

Thanks!

Absolutely amazing work, when everything is tweaked right you can create some truely fierce storms. I wish I could help but most of this is beyond me for the moment, can't wait to see how this develops.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    Any ETA on Buoyancy?

EDIT: Had to edit my post to ask another question.

How would I go about syncing multiple Water planes together in the world composition tools to look like they are one mesh?

Just curious,

HeadClot
    Gah! I just noticed your post now... Ugh... sorry HeadClot.

But some good news!! Buoyancy is almost ready, I found I was calculating the wave incorrectly from the OceanManager BP, got that fixed and I can get something to float a bit finally. It still needs a bit more work but it should be any day now!

I am creating a BuoyantMesh blueprint base classes that will allow you to set any static mesh you want, and it will calculate the mass and center of mass offset of the input mesh. It will be adjustable as well, but by default it will create 4 debug spheres around the COM of the object that get used for applying gravity or buoyant forces to each sphere so it can rock back and forth with the waves.

Regarding multiple water planes as it stands right now, you can add a second Ocean BP right next to (or even overlapping) so long as they have the same settings. But that is the least performant way of doing this, I am planning to add a Mesh Spawner in the Construction script to create multiple meshes in a grid format. The material itself is in WSC so there shouldn't be any problems getting them to line up correctly, you can even overlap them if you need to.

Also I have been working on getting an LOD system functional to avoid the performance issues I just noted, I will have some more info on this later, but if you have any ideas you'd like to pass my way I would be all ears!

Thanks HeadClot!

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hardister View Post
    Nice work, the weather really makes it come alive. Particularly the lightning! Also love the foam off the rocks. As I posted on another ocean shader post, would love to see some ocean spray here and there... Still awesome without it though!
    Thanks Steve, I have ocean spray on my list, but it's a long list

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hardister View Post
    If you feel this is a bug please report this on the Answer Hub: https://answers.unrealengine.com/ and include a link back to this post. That is also where you would want to post a feature request.Thanks!
    This actually was a bug worth mentioning, only problem is I can't get it to happen again. The issue ended up being that the Slider value range for one variable got set to 0 when it should have been 10 after I migrated out the content from my master project. Somehow this value got changed in the process, it ended up forcing the value to 0 when I tried to adjust the value, freezing the ocean waves in place.

Anyways if I can get it to happen again I will be reporting it on AnswerHub.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
    I just wanted to say thank you DotCam for all the hard work and making this project a reality!! It just looks sick and cant wait for your next version!! Best of luck with the next release!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternus Nox View Post
    Absolutely amazing work, when everything is tweaked right you can create some truely fierce storms. I wish I could help but most of this is beyond me for the moment, can't wait to see how this develops.
    Thanks.. for this free project you made.. i hope this will add to UE4 Modes at Landscape thanks for your answer.. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by DestructDez1 View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you for the awesome work. I can't wait to see what you have planed for the next release.
    Thanks guys! new version should be out very soon.

"Thanks guys! new version should be out very soon. "

Cant wait!!! Thx DotCam!!!

Samaritan
    DotCam, I sent you the code to my BuoyancyMovementComponent. It allows you to add buoyancy to any BP without a base BP. It's C++ though since we cannot create MovementComponents in BP yet.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Handkor View Post
    DotCam, I sent you the code to my BuoyancyMovementComponent. It allows you to add buoyancy to any BP without a base BP. It's C++ though since we cannot create MovementComponents in BP yet.
    Handkor! Good to see you bud!

Responded to your PM as well, but I will give this a try over the weekend and let you know how it goes, thank you very much for doing this! A BP only solution to this is proving to be exceedingly difficult, I wanted to try so it would be accessible to all, but the performance hit is too much.

Just an FYI for everyone reading this, this project would not have been possible without Handkor. For anyone wanting to know more about how this shader works I highly recommend watching his tutorials and checking out his thread on the topic, he explains in detail how and why it works, it was a huge help for me to understand it all. You can find more info on this here:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?7440-Dynamic-physical-ocean

Thanks again Handkor!

DotCam my good man, epic work you've done with this. i wonder, could i trouble you for a 4.4 compatible version? i'v played around with it on 4.5.1 and absolutely love it, my problem is, when i convert my project from 4.4 to 4.5.1 all my colors for my sky sphere get real messed up and i cannot reproduce it how i want it.
    Last edited by ixicalibur; 12-02-2014 at 07:05 AM.

As far as licensing goes, Is there any fees, royalties, or agreements that we have to abide by if we want to use this in a commercial game? I ask because I want to use this on a project that will hopefully be completely or nearly complete in half a year and I don't want to abuse you're amazing contributions to the community.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by DestructDez1 View Post
    As far as licensing goes, Is there any fees, royalties, or agreements that we have to abide by if we want to use this in a commercial game? I ask because I want to use this on a project that will hopefully be completely or nearly complete in half a year and I don't want to abuse you're amazing contributions to the community.
    There is absolutely no fees/royalties/agreements or anything else like that, it is completely free to use for anything.

One caveat is the Moon textures and the Milky Way night sky texture are downloaded from a website where they were labeled free to use in your project. I have not looked into it any further for commercial games, so to be safe I would make sure to replace these textures.

All other content was either from the free example games from the UE4 Launcher (Epic allows us to use these in commercial games) or were created by me, with Handkor providing some code as well (not yet released).

So there shouldn't be any issues with this aside from those textures, but they can be replaced if you are using the sky blueprint as well.
    ------------------

To everyone else, I have been working at this as best I can, but have been going through a difficult time lately and haven't been able to work on this as much as I would like. It is still in the works though, I hope to have an update very soon. Thanks for understanding!

As far as a 4.4.3 version goes, it is very difficult to do (needs to be recreated entirely). There are features in version 4.6 that will be necessary for further development of the shader, the biggest one being 128 texture sampler's instead of 16 in 4.6. Since so many of the samplers are used by the engine itself, currently I can only use 6 textures in 4.5.1 and before. So I will be moving this to version 4.6 in the coming update, since most of the project is already in 4.5.1 it won't be as difficult to back-port the parts I add in, but the shader will not be updated for the reason I mentioned.

Thanks everyone!

Visionary
    Keep up the good work. Take all the time you need, we understand. =)

Just came here to say It's a very good job I've saw here.
    Migration to my project was super easy (right click on Ocean folder -> migrate), and in just a drag n drop, it was functionnal.

Thanks !
    Yup, proudly writing in European B2-class English.
    All grammar mistakes are under copyright protection from my english teacher. Thank you for her.

Infiltrator
    It stopped working for me in the 4.7 preview. Is that expected?
    Last edited by Crafty; 12-30-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    It stopped working for me in the 4.7 preview. Is that expected?
    Hey Crafty,

Unfortunately it is expected at this time, the root cause of this is a known issue in 4.7. This is from the 4.7 Preview page:

UE-6745 - Values in Material Parameter Collections are not carrying over
    Right now MaterialParameterCollections just don't work in 4.7. :/ To get around that limitation would mean moving all of the 50+ parameters from the collection to the 2 material graphs as instance parameters, adding more set params to the blueprint for the 2nd material, replacing every set parameter in the blueprint, and other misc fixes... It would be quicker to start over really.

I am hoping this will be resolved for Preview #2 coming soon. It's really not worth it to convert all of these parameters if it's going to be fixed in the next version, so for now I am going to wait it out. I'll let you know if I hear any updates on this though!

Thanks
    Last edited by DotCam; 12-30-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: add more info

Awesome Job DotCam! I hope the Team at Epic will get those 4.7 bugs dealt with quickly so that you can continue your work on this awesome project.

As well, thanks a lot for this contribution, it looks great and since water covers a bunch of the earth and we see it a lot, having more realistic water and simulation is important!

Thanks

Infiltrator
    Can't wait for buoyancy! Great work!

Im having trouble with loading the OceanDemo. It stops at Initalizing (9%).
    Heres my projectfolder-setup: Attachment 21596
    System
    ASUS G550JK - 12GB ram, Nvidia GeForce 850 2GB

ArtStation
    Artwork thread

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Frequia View Post
    Im having trouble with loading the OceanDemo. It stops at Initalizing (9%).
    Heres my projectfolder-setup: Attachment 21596
    Which version of the engine are you trying to load it in? I created that project in version 4.5.1, but it will work in the newer versions as well. All you should need to do is UnZip it to a folder and run the shortcut.

If you can't get the demo to work, try copying the ProjectName\Content\Ocean folder into a new project's Content folder, then open the project. You should see the Ocean folder in the content browser, select it and then drag the "BP_OceanSystem" into your level.

Hope that helps

That worked! Thanks And this is the toonish-water I have tried to create for a couple of days:
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 3197
Size:  97.0 KB
    Last edited by Frequia; 01-04-2015 at 06:26 PM.
    System

ArtStation
    Artwork thread

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Frequia View Post
    That worked! Thanks And this is the toonish-water I have tried to create for a couple of days:
    Add in a skylight to your level, you will get a MUCH more realistic looking ocean, it allows for some reflections and increases the specularity.

Here is what mine looks like with the above mentioned settings:

Name:  0before.PNG
Views: 3438
Size:  932.9 KB

****EDIT****
    Does it look like your image after the shaders have been compiled or does it look more like the image I attached above? Once the shaders are compiled does it look better?

****EDIT 2****

If you are going for a toon shader look then I guess you don't want it too look super realistic...

You don't even really need transparency if you are going for a toon syle look, I'll test out some ideas on that soon and see if I can make a separate shader that works the same, but has a toon style look. Let me know if you need any help getting it to look just right, there are a lot of parameters to adjust which can make it confusing... So feel free to PM or add a post here anytime
    Last edited by DotCam; 01-04-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Yeah, I know the shaders arent compiled, I just took a screenshot to show the water I have tried to create the last week. Its this water Im trying to recreate with your system
    Name:  Princess_Peach_s_Castle_Courtyard_SM64.jpg
Views: 3155
Size:  119.9 KB
    I also have a little problem: The water dissapears when I hit "play from here". Im using the third-person template. The player spawns just fine and everything, but the water is gone.
    EDIT: By the way, I subscribed to your thread
    Last edited by Frequia; 01-05-2015 at 04:23 PM.
    System

ArtStation
    Artwork thread

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast