User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Plugin] Ocean surface simulation plugin (VaOcean)

[Plugin] Ocean surface simulation plugin (VaOcean)

Hi there

I hope that's the right place to talk about own plugins.

VaOcean is the ocean surface simulation plugin.

It includes:

• Component that renders displacement and gradient (normal) maps in real time
    • Sample content, including water shader and grid meshes to be used on scene
    • Set of global shaders that perform FFT calculation and other tech stuff on GPU

Current version: 0.4 Alpha 6 Hotfix 1. Check the demo project!

Plugin is avaible under MIT open-source license, you can download it here (please read installation notes, unusual step required). Source code is available on Github: https://github.com/ufna/VaOcean

Preview videos:

Plugin is in alpha stage now, and I'm going to add and improve a lot of things next. Any tests, comments and reviews will be really appreciated

Btw, it was a great pleasure to work with RHI wrappers
    Last edited by ufna; 08-16-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    Developer. Bass player. Cats owner. Unreal Engine addicted. Check my.alyamkin.com
    [Plugin] VaRest - REST API with blueprintable JSON plugin
    [Plugin] VaTexAltas - simple way to use texture atlases for UMG

This is great! Thank you for sharing ufna!

This plugin seems very promising, good job!
    Unreal Development Kit/Unreal Engine 4 User

"You're not getting what you want? Then calm, relax, push yourself a little more and wait for your moment to arrive, because everything has its time."

Veteran
    Hey Ufna,

Looks great, but unfortunately I am crashing immediately upon trying to open a project with this plugin enabled. I've tried both 4.02 and 4.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Hey Ufna,

Looks great, but unfortunately I am crashing immediately upon trying to open a project with this plugin enabled. I've tried both 4.02 and 4.1.
    Did you copy shaders from plugin to the engine's shaders folder?
    Last edited by ufna; 05-03-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    Developer. Bass player. Cats owner. Unreal Engine addicted. Check my.alyamkin.com

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ufna View Post
    Did you copy shaders from plugin to the engine's shaders folder?
    Nope, because I'm a big dumb idiot who cannot read! thanks, working now. I checked the readme for instructions, and since I didn't see any there, I figured it was good to go.

The Rainbow Warrior

Red face

Wow this is amazing that you are sharing this with all of us!

thanks so much Ufna!

You are awesome!

Rama
    100+ UE4 C++ Tutorials on the UE4 Code Wiki, including UE4 Multi-Threading!

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

Visit www.ue4code.com to see lots of videos about my C++ Creations! ♥ Rama

Neither the SeaCraft or the VaOcean plugin work with the 4.1 version of Unreal. With VAocean plugin I got an error when trying to enable it after compiling saying it is not compativble with current version of the game and SeacRaft smapel said you need to recompile for current version of Engine but when trying to generate Visual Studio Project Files I got an error saying \trunk folder is missing 'source' folder.
    Last edited by DarkInfiktrator; 05-03-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks, guys! I hope that my works will be useful for community. It's fantastic that we can do such low-level code with UE.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkInfiktrator View Post
    Neither the SeaCraft or the VaOcean plugin work with the 4.1 version of Unreal. With VAocean plugin I got an error when trying to enable it after compiling saying it is not compativble with current version of the game and SeacRaft smapel said you need to recompile for current version of Engine but when trying to generate Visual Studio Project Files I got an error.
    I'm using the 4.1.0 "installed" version, and all my stuff works perfect on all three PCs I have for tests. I think you should check your installation or paths.

Thanks, guys! I hope that my works will be useful for community. It's fantastic that we can do such low-level code with UE.

I'm using the 4.1.0 "installed" version, and all my stuff works perfect on all three PCs I have for tests. I think you should check your installation or paths.
    I got an error saying \trunk folder is missing 'source' folder. I used svn to download SeacRfat content using the steps you provided in your site. Also I copied shaders from plugin to the engine's shaders folder and I copied the VaOcean folder to engine/plugins: I want to the plugin to be available for all projetcs and not just for one project that I must enable each time. then I revbuilt the entire ue4 engine and I got those errors.

BTW, I am using source version of UE4 not the installed one from launcher.
    Last edited by DarkInfiktrator; 05-03-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkInfiktrator View Post
    I got an error saying \trunk folder is missing 'source' folder
    I suppose you're speaking about SeaCraft, so you should combine code from github and content from SVN to make it work. Github stuff should be placed into trunk folder of SVN repository.

Infiltrator
    Very nice plugin, thanks you.

Looks very good! Will check it out later

Luminary
    Hey ufna -

Thank you so much for this plugin

Very nice work! Just out of interest: Are you basing your calculations on the Tessendorf system?

Cheers,
    Michael

Luminary
    Hey ufna,

Just curious - Do you intend to add more advanced features to this plugin?

For example -

Underwater caustics / Godrays - You could in theory base this off of the height fog for the caustics and how deep the god rays go.
    Link to what I am talking about Height Fog Link

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjon2040 View Post
    Awesome...Something that the community wanted since UE3.
    Heh, so true

Quote Originally Posted by IMX View Post
    Very nice work! Just out of interest: Are you basing your calculations on the Tessendorf system?
    Yes, Tessendorf's paperwork is a something like "realtime ocean bible" Btw, Bruneton's works were useful too.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    Just curious - Do you intend to add more advanced features to this plugin?

For example - Underwater caustics / Godrays - You could in theory base this off of the height fog for the caustics and how deep the god rays go.
    Link to what I am talking about Height Fog Link
    Sure, but first I'll add foam and rigib body reaction. As material is opaque for today, all underwater things are not in priotiry.

Hey Ufna thanks for this plugin

i am getting this when i open with VS2013 but it open anyways:

Plugin 'VaOcean' failed to load because module 'VaOceanPlugin' does not appear
    to be Compatible with the current version of the engine. This plugin's
    functionality will not be available. The Plugin may need to be recompiled.

and when i click on the Materials then the Unreal Engine close and then i got this:

UE4Editor.exe has triggered a breakpoint

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wizzkidsan View Post
    Plugin 'VaOcean' failed to load because module 'VaOceanPlugin' does not appear
    to be Compatible with the current version of the engine. This plugin's
    functionality will not be available. The Plugin may need to be recompiled.
    Plugin binaries are compiled for "installed" 4.1.0 engine version. If you're using 4.0.x or custom built version, you have to recompile the plugin from sources.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Actually, our intent was to allow precompiled binary plugins to load from custom-built engines "at your own risk". So for example, a plugin compiled for 4.1 should be loadable in an editor that you compiled yourself from the 4.1 source code, even if you've changed the engine in some way. Let me know if that is not what you guys are seeing. However, we definitely did not want to allow a 4.1 plugin to load in an older version of the installed editor, such as 4.0.

--Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fricker View Post
    So for example, a plugin compiled for 4.1 should be loadable in an editor that you compiled yourself from the 4.1 source code, even if you've changed the engine in some way. Let me know if that is not what you guys are seeing.
    Unfortunately that doesn't work. I've compiled plugin with 4.1 , but I can't use it in an editor that I compiled from 4.1 (or even 4.1.1) source code.

Mythic
    Great work! Works perfectly.

Just one question is there a way to read height and normal at 1/2 uv (in center of rendered texture)?

PS, i just read that stuff i am looking for is on todolist
    So in meanwhile i play with weather system
    Last edited by Nawrot; 05-06-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Unfortunately that doesn't work. I've compiled plugin with 4.1 , but I can't use it in an editor that I compiled from 4.1 (or even 4.1.1) source code.
    So is it broken in 4.1 then? Was having the same issue. I got it to compile with the editor but when I tried to go into the Modules and load it it would crash every time.

FYI. I'm on OSX 10.9.2.

I was wondering as the installation instructions are kinda vague/or assume you are familiar with UE4. So once you manage to get a binary plug-in is there a way to use it with the downloaded editor? would be great to know what the exact directory structure needs to be.

Not really understanding why it need to be put into a project and compiled if it is already binary.

BTW anyone else here on Mac?

Got it to load into a scene and but when I try to edit the blueprint it crashes.

Mythic
    I just copied all assets to my project folder, added to my ship_BP small sea mesh (for near ocean), and placed instanced mate on it.
    And that is all, it works, and because its world coordinate mapped my ship moves together with small sea mesh, effect is great.

You are on OSX, did you get OSX binaries? I think that is reason it crashes.

I compiled the binaries myself using 4.1.
    I did get it to load one of the ocean blueprints from the content folder but when I hit the edit button it crashed. The are no pre-compiled OSX binaries.

Quote Originally Posted by James Barnette View Post
    I was wondering as the installation instructions are kinda vague/or assume you are familiar with UE4. So once you manage to get a binary plug-in is there a way to use it with the downloaded editor? would be great to know what the exact directory structure needs to be.

Not really understanding why it need to be put into a project and compiled if it is already binary.
    Plugin is in alpha stage now, and it also means that developer should be a bit familiar with UE4 to use it.

Precompiled binaries are supplied for Windows only, and its installation is described in readme. If you've forced to use source code instead of binaries (f.e. you're on Mac), you should go the same way, but use content of repository instead of precompiled archive.

Unfortunately I haven't Mac to test the plugin on OSX. Shaders are cross-platform, but who knows. I'll take a look soon.

I compiled the binaries myself using 4.1.
    I did get it to load one of the ocean blueprints from the content folder but when I hit the edit button it crashed. The are no pre-compiled OSX binaries.
    Did you enable the plugin? You should see the plugin content: http://gyazo.com/372ac77df7b90618c752926b61e5532f

Nice work,

but could you explain what those shaders are? https://github.com/ufna/VaOcean/blob/master/Shaders/VaOcean_CS.usf

What is .usf? Is this a shading language from ue4? I saw that you load them like this https://github.com/ufna/VaOcean/blob/master/Source/VaOceanPlugin/Private/VaOceanShaders.cpp#L5

Quote Originally Posted by maikklein View Post
    but could you explain what those shaders are? https://github.com/ufna/VaOcean/blob/master/Shaders/VaOcean_CS.usf
    It is HLSL shader. Current one is Compute shader that updates spectrum each frame.

Quote Originally Posted by maikklein View Post
    What is .usf? Is this a shading language from ue4? I saw that you load them like this https://github.com/ufna/VaOcean/blob/master/Source/VaOceanPlugin/Private/VaOceanShaders.cpp#L5
    This just declares shader (you can read official doc about it). It used as shader in VaOceanSimulationComponent in UpdateDisplacementMap() function.
    Last edited by ufna; 05-07-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Yes I have enabled the plugin. Wich then required a restart. After that I verified that the plugin was loaded by going back to plugins and seeing that it was checked. I then loaded one of the blueprint sames wich opened an then things got very slow then crashed.

However after seeing the comment about the shaders above I wonder if that may be it. That the shaders are HLSL instead of GLSL or is this something that ue4 takes care automatically? Or are we going to need both for multi platform?

Anyway since you don't have a mac I would like to volunteer to do anything I can to further making this resource multi-platform friendly.

I can also test on the iOS and androids fronts as well.
    Last edited by James Barnette; 05-07-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Yes I have enabled the plugin. Wich then required a restart. After that I verified that the plugin was loaded by going back to plugins and seeing that it was checked. I then loaded one of the blueprint sames wich opened an then things got very slow then crashed.

However after seeing the comment about the shaders above I wonder if that may be it. That the shaders are HLSL instead of GLSL or is this something that ue4 takes care automatically? Or are we going to need both for multi platform?

Anyway since you don't have a mac I would like to volunteer to do anything I can to further making this resource multi-platform friendly.
    As ufna stated above, shaders are cross compatible, it gets automatically converted and compiled for opengl, and the editor can be opened in opengl mode on Windows to test the functionality.

It won't work on iOS or Android due to the use of compute shaders.

UE4 has cross-compiler to handle it. But I've just tested the engine in OGL mode and found that StructuredBuffers are not supported. It means that OGL version is under 4.3 or its support is not fully implemented yet. In result, plugin can't be used on Mac now

Mobile devices are not supported because of Compute shaders. As I know only future nVidia devices with Open GL 4.3 may be available to use it.

I would think that the OpenGL version is still at 4.0 or lower. As a matter of fact I thought I had read a comment somewhere that they were still working on bring it up to 4.x and that it was still something below that.

I would think that the OpenGL version is still at 4.0 or lower. As a matter of fact I thought I had read a comment somewhere that they were still working on bring it up to 4.x and that it was still something below that.
    Sad, but I'm definitely sure that it will be improved As I know, mobile demo of ShooterGame shown by NVidia uses OGL 4.3, so I hope its features are on the way.

Sad, but I'm definitely sure that it will be improved As I know, mobile demo of ShooterGame shown by NVidia uses OGL 4.3, so I hope its features are on the way.
    I think that was the OSX OpenGL version specifically. Not sure about Android and PC.

Veteran
    Hey ufna, great work here!

Do you plan on making this plugin compatible with packaging? I seem to have better performance with your plugin than with the fluid surface actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Do you plan on making this plugin compatible with packaging? I seem to have better performance with your plugin than with the fluid surface actor.
    Sure, it's alredy fixed in develop branch Also, I'll make new pre-build release with some new stuff in few days.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast