Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Twitch] Tools - May 1, 2014. Blueprints stream - May 8, 2014

Unreal Engine Developer

[Twitch] Tools - May 1, 2014. Blueprints stream - May 8, 2014

Thanks to all the folks who have dropped by our Twitch broadcasts so far! Following our format of Thursdays at 2pm ET, more info is below.
    *Bumping upcoming stream to the top of the thread*

When: Thursday, May 8, 2pm ET (find your time zone here)
    What: Future of UT! + UE4 Blueprint & VR update
    Who:
    UE4 Dev Community + Epic = The Future of Unreal Tournament
    Joe "Dr. Sin" Wilcox, UT Sr. Programmer, Steve Polge, Sr. Programmer / UT Project Lead, Stacey "Flak" Conley, UT Community Manager
    UE4 Blueprint, VR, Community Spotlight, Live Q&A
    Mike Fricker, Technical Director, Michael Noland, Sr. Programmer; Nick Donaldson, Sr. Designer, Alan Noon, Dev Rel Tech Artist
    Where: Twitch.tv/UnrealEngine

May 8th Agenda

Previous stream from May 1st
    What: Unreal Engine 4 Tools Livestream
    Who: Matt Kuhlenschmidt, Lead Engine Programmer; Nick Atamas, Sr. Engine Programmer; Nick Darnell, Tools Programmer

May 1st Agenda
    • Welcome & Latest News
    • Tools Topics
      1. What makes a great tool?
      2. How Epic works with the community on contributions, e.g., pull requests through GitHub
      3. UMG (Slate UI) - Unreal Motion Graphics - Goals and status
      4. Sequencer! Status and roadmap for the the successor to Unreal Matinee
      5. Blender support - Update on progress & how folks can help
      6. Additional features, e.g., Nick D.'s Blueprint copy/paste tool
    • Community Spotlight
    • Live Q&A

As a reminder, broadcast recordings are posted at this YouTube playlist within a few days airing live. Please ask any questions here in this thread!
    Last edited by Chance Ivey; 10-13-2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: special announcement

Sweet! More Sequencer news. I'll be there hopefully unless it gets all laggy again.

I'd like to hear what the plans are for opening up the engine and editor (and tools) to contributions via the marketplace? Specifically how are you planning on handling integration in a safe way, one that can be easily isolated etc.

I'd also like to hear about ways to secure key data, for instance a few people have been having issues with corrupted blueprints. Can we hear about how you plan to avoid that kind of corruption within the new toolsets? (i.e. my preference is an open file format that can be stored in a source control system).

Quote Originally Posted by crowl View Post
    5. Blender support - Update on progress & how folks can help
    Sounds very interesting
    Here you can find all my Unreal Engine 4 Video Tutorials: <<Klick here>>
    My Game Caede: http://www.throwntogether.jshubner.de/
    Add me on Skype: nasph96 (Philipp)
    Free Foilage Kit: <<Klick here>>

Yay for better Blender support!
    Fully dynamic Time of Day System blueprint: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-of-Day-Setup Download it for free now!

Four Nicks on the team hu?

/me changes nick to Nick.

Can I have a job at Epic?

Awesomeness. . I'll be there. Want to talk about getting some physics tools, or at least more user friendly ones

Hey Crowl, you mentioned that James Golding is going to be on one of these too,

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ll=1#post23076

Has the plan chnaged or his name is just missing in the post? (Or maybe he's *the* TBD, wink wink)

Thanks for the weekly streams btw guys.

Supporter
    First of all thank you guys for doing such an awesome job on Unreal Engine 4! It's a lot of fun to work with it.

Now for the questions:

1. Would be awesome if you can talk a bit about if you have any plans on supporting Area Lights in the future builds? I'm talking about an actual AreaLight component. So that you can chose the shape of it (rectagular, cylindrical, spherical, disc), size, color, intensity, apply textures to it (with support for animated textures) etc. Kinda like Guerilla Games did for Killzone: Shadow Fall http://www.guerrilla-games.com/prese...hadow_Fall.pdf (page 62). I think it would be a great thing to have!

2. Now that Lens Flare editor is gone in UE4 (or may be I'm a derp and couldn't find it. Which is a possibility ), is there any plans on adding something new to replace it or bringing the old editor from UE3 back? Because I'm like J.J. Abrams. I love lens flares and current per-pixel solution, while it looks nice, doesn't satisfy all my needs. I need more cinematic anamorphic lens flares everywhere!

Thank you!

Veteran
    Questions:

- Are there any news concerning the marketplace? Release date or something?

- As I heard some of you guys sat down with the guys from speedtree, can you share any infos about further implementations?

- Are there any plans to further develop the IK system?

- Are there any plans for enabling animation-retargeting on different skeletons?

Promoter

Awesome content, can't wait for details on the sequencer!

It would be interesting to hear about 2D support and on progress and plans for Paper2D. What are your goals with that? This is one of the few areas where Unity still clearly beats UE.

I know, who cares about 2D. But on mobile (and even on PC) I don't see 2D disappearing anywhere soon. For indies this will always be a valid choice and every game can benefit from the awesomeness that is Blueprints, Materials, Matinee, Cascade...

wow thats interesting , UMG - Sequencer - Blender

just tell us what you need and we'll help

got to ask but i know it's still early "vehicles" , i saw the button for the template in the last stream
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Epic is replacing Matinee? Is there any info on that already? What's bad with Matinee? I didn't use it much so far, apart from the most basic tutorials, so I really don't know. The UI is a little big "strange" maybe.

Infiltrator
    Cant wait to hear about plans for blender

My question is on the AI tools (Behavior trees): Do you have an eta on when they will be taken out of experimental and fully documented? Also, along those lines better navmesh documentation for programmers would be welcomed as well.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jaran View Post
    Do you have an eta on when they will be taken out of experimental and fully documented?
    They said in one of the previous streams that "Experimental" is not the best term, as some of that stuff is already quite fleshed out, but is still work in progress. I thing that includes BTs.

+1 for Blender support! I'm just starting to get my head around 3D modelling for my static meshes to build levels (last time I build levels for anything BSP was all the rage!)

Patron
    Since this live seems focused a bit on tools, I was wondering if there was any plan on upgrading/enhancing the current color correction tools ? I have in mind a live editing tool similar to what the Source Engine offer (see https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...lor_correction ). Or maybe bringing back the UE3 workflow that allowed users to tweak easily the scene colors (via Highlights, Midtones, Shadows) ?
    My UE4 game project "Exil" : https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...st-and-mystery

Fabrice Piquet - Technical Artist, Product Designer, Quality Assurance - Allegorithmic
    Twitter - LinkedIn - Portfolio - Maya Scripts

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Farshad12 View Post
    Hey Crowl, you mentioned that James Golding is going to be on one of these too
    Sadly I need to leave Cary on Wednesday so will miss the stream Would love to have made it, maybe another time! Nick and Nick will kick much *** though
    Lead Framework Programmer, UE4, Epic Games
    Twitter: @EpicJamesG

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Sadly I need to leave Cary on Wednesday so will miss the stream Would love to have made it, maybe another time! Nick and Nick will kick much *** though
    Ah, was looking forward to seeing you there, well, hopefully you'll be back soon for another one or two, thanks anyway.

I am looking forward to the support for Blender. I don't have the money for Maya or 3d Max. So this will be great!!

Quote Originally Posted by LcSweeper View Post
    I am looking forward to the support for Blender. I don't have the money for Maya or 3d Max. So this will be great!!
    It's great to see how Epic listens to the community. Professionals probably use Maya or 3DS, so UE never really had to bother much with Blender. But with the new affordable licensing a lot of indies are coming to the engine who will often prefer Blender over the other expensive options.

Quote Originally Posted by Bajee View Post
    It's great to see how Epic listens to the community. Professionals probably use Maya or 3DS, so UE never really had to bother much with Blender. But with the new affordable licensing a lot of indies are coming to the engine who will often prefer Blender over the other expensive options.
    That is what I like about Epic.

Champion
    Hey Epic Games,

I posted this on the Blender Artists forums as well as sent a news tip submission to Blendernation. Which I expect it to be going up soonish...

Thank you for supporting Blender. Expect more people showing up tomorrow for the LiveStream just to hear about blender support.

- HeadClot

Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    Hey Epic Games,

I posted this on the Blender Artists forums as well as sent a news tip submission to Blendernation. Which I expect it to be going up soonish...

Thank you for supporting Blender. Expect more people showing up tomorrow for the LiveStream just to hear about blender support.

- HeadClot
    Good idea. People over on the Blender forums seem to be interested as well. It might be a good idea to move this topic closer to the beginning for those people who are just tuning in for this part. Either way, this live stream will be very interesting, Blueprint pastebin, Slate UI, Blender, Sequencer.. nice!

+1 for better Blender Support!

On the topic of tools, I vaguely recall mention of there being some integration with Excel. If I'm remembering correctly:

How does it work? Does the engine read the .xls file or is it via OLE? Can we access the imported data via blueprints? Any thoughts on supporting other formats, such as OpenOffice/LibreOffice/Google Docs (via Google App Script formatting the data into json or whatever), or even just .csv, json, relational databases, xml, or whatever other formats people store data with?

Unreal Engine Developer
    Hi Drekmonger,

It's actually .csv import, so anything that can export to .csv will work; our designers use Excel. It's not currently exposed to Blueprints, you need to create new subclasses of FTableRowBase with the properties you want to import, and UDataTable stores/manages a collection of rows. We'd like to improve access to this data in Blueprints in the future, but don't have any immediate plans, although custom struct support will probably make it much easier now.

Cheers,
    Michael Noland

Please, give us some good news about Root Motion, because right now, it is a pain in the a** to use, and it is very unstable.

Video that show bugs with root motion:
    Last edited by Alex3d; 05-01-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Supporter
    (Question) Does UE4 support PS4 controller for PC? if not when?
    Last edited by F.A.R; 05-01-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Noland View Post
    It's actually .csv import, so anything that can export to .csv will work;
    Curiosity sated. Thanks for the answer!

Tools question: A Road editor???????????

Patron

Champion
    Hey,

I missed the livestream. When Will these be going up on youtube?

Just curious

EDIT: I found the video here
    Last edited by HeadClot; 05-01-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Thanks for posting that link, Headclot, I was just about to do so.

Our Twitch channel automatically archives streams so you can watch <1 hour after we wrap:
    http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/b/524849165

We'll also be posting a 'clean' version to YouTube.com/UnrealEngine by early next week.

Thanks for the stream as usual! Lots of exciting sneak peeks.
    Also thanks for making quality selection available for Twitch. I was able to watch without lagging this time.

Working toward better Blender support sounds awesome! Very exciting.

Question: what is the best way to share glitchy Blender assets with Unreal Engine developers? The forums? Some other system? What if I want to share with you, but maybe not as public as the forums?

Thanks!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex3d View Post
    Tools question: A Road editor???????????
    The spline tool does this as is. The content examples show the spline tool in use, with roads in specific.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    Working toward better Blender support sounds awesome! Very exciting.

Question: what is the best way to share glitchy Blender assets with Unreal Engine developers? The forums? Some other system? What if I want to share with you, but maybe not as public as the forums?

Thanks!
    Please see this post for how to submit blender assets: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...reporting.html

Note: Having the .blend file is extremely useful since often importing FBX back into Blender to test is a difficult process.

We are working on providing a way to submit these directly to us without being publicly visible but for now that isnt ready. If you can't share one of your production assets anything no matter how simple that reproduces the problem would be helpful.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-02-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Champion
    Questions for Thursday - May 8th live stream -

1. Are there plans for real time collaboration within unreal engine 4 editor for remote teams?
    Ideally:
    I would like to see a solution where we can host a dedicated server for other developers to connect to it.
    Have assets be populated into our content browser.
    When that is done we can start dragging out our static meshes, Blueprints, etc. and updates will happen in the editor in realtime across our teams computers.

2. Questions regarding Unreal Engines 2D Abilities -
    - Will there be support for various grid types for reference within unreal engine? Examples being - Hex Grid, Top Down, Isometric, etc. not just side scrolling.
    - Will there be a dedicated map editor similar to tiled map editor but taliored specific for Unreal Engine 4?

3. Will there be some form of Vehicle interior editor for Unreal Engine 4?
    - See: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...nterior-Editor

4. Would it be possible to Sandbox Unreal engine 4?

5. In regards to Unreal Tournament 4
    - Please do not make it free 2 play... I do not want to pay for hats, Weapons, and sixty dollar monocles.
    - Please Include mod tools as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast