Ludum Dare work-in-progress

Figured it’d be fun to share this. I’m using UE4 for a quick ludum dare “game” as I get to grips with learning more about it. Although today has mainly been about doing silly materials and models and messing around with particle systems. Tomorrow is going to be about AI and responding to physics checks (which I’ve no idea how to do! ;))

Music was procedurally generated in DroneFX and somehow seems to suit. **** I need to find somewhere with a nice chime/bell sound for when you find something! arrg sounds :slight_smile:

Here’s the wip video:

[QUOTE=zoombapup;23757]
Figured it’d be fun to share this. I’m using UE4 for a quick ludum dare “game” as I get to grips with learning more about it. Although today has mainly been about doing silly materials and models and messing around with particle systems. Tomorrow is going to be about AI and responding to physics checks (which I’ve no idea how to do! ;))

Music was procedurally generated in DroneFX and somehow seems to suit. **** I need to find somewhere with a nice chime/bell sound for when you find something! arrg sounds :slight_smile:

Here’s the wip video:
?v=mv0QEtF91YQ[/QUOTE]

This is cool, i haven’t gotten into studing fx yet just level designing, so far still lighting stage and texture works.

Looks very nice!

How do you light up the buildings? Is that a material or is the yellow circle a big decal that colors the buildings too?

Its a decal yeah. Those “buildings” are actually foliage. :slight_smile:

Hah, okay. Cool idea!

Very cool stuff!

wow nice!!!

Pretty cool!

No idea what you do in this game but it looks really cool so I’d probably buy it

Can you explain how you accomplished the ‘scan’ vfx? Is that a particle?

Its a blueprint derived from “Actor”, with a sphere component and a decal component. If you go to the blueprint components part and look at the “add component” dropdown you’ll find decal. Basically I set everything to 1 in terms of scale on the decal and the sphere. Then I have a blueprint tick that scales up the whole thing over its lifespan.

I’ll post an update soon-ish, but basically the scan is a “ping” that can be reacted-to by a bunch of other classes. In the initial case, I have a “PingSpawner” class which spawns another object when the ping overlaps it. The idea being that you “ping” the world and underneath the world (from the LD theme being “Beneath the Surface”) a bunch of creatures exist, so when you ping them you uncover new items to interact with. But of course some of those things aren’t quite so friendly.

I was going for a “Journey” kind of thing with it. So it’ll go in that direction a fair bit. My plan is to play around with different kinds of ping-instigated interactions. Maybe have different amounts of energy required to ping with, or a “build up” of ping energy or something.

Anyway, glad you like it. Probably wont release it until I’ve figured out something a bit more fun in terms of interactions, but I’ll post some more vids as and when I find some new things out.