Testing the new UE4 features

Wow, this new engine is really amazing!

After just a few minutes playing with shaders, shadows and lighting effects, here’s the result:

http://www.gixer.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/udk4_first_test.png

I’m really impressed with all the cool new features, and how quickly changes can be made.

Wait til I get used to this beauty =]

PS.: It?s a Hi-Poly model, just 4 tests…

Dude!!! the lighting is so amazing!!! This is gonna be epic! haha

That came out awesome!

The lighting looks really great, especially for a mockup

Awesome work Juno! Welcome to UE4.

looks good:)

no more vert limit for static meshes, you’ve got to love it;)

any chance you can share the project files later? id love to see it. I only got to play with the chair basic basic scene so far but the graphics are very nice. :slight_smile: downloading the sample content now :wink: cant wait to see whats done!

Looks like a picture (perhaps one made with Instagram and some filter effect applied) Great start and welcome!

Really cool stuff, I bet we’re going to see some amazing things in the next little while.

gotta say loving the graphics i dont have a beefy system but the demos run fine for me and its pretty amazing :-).

Love it! The lighting looks really natural and grounded. Is it ‘baked in’ or real-time?

I think this is a real picture, you bluff !!!

Looks like a real photo…
I don’t think this is a screenshot from UE4

If i should be wrong im sorry for that :wink:

Wow that is a great indicator of UE4’s capabilities.

This looks great, nice job!

Hello guys .

Thanks for all the comments! Yup, I can share this project, no problem. I just need to see how to host the file in my server (the photos are hosted on a wordpress).

And yes, it is running in real time with instant preview game. Without anti-aliasing, it runs at 120fps. Of course the scene is with very few elements: The room that we use in a short film, the pedestal Zelda style, few boomerangs, and a table with some more boomerangs. Oh, and several dynamic lights.

Yesterday I was playing with my model, testing some types of lighting. Here’s my photo to compare.

http://www.gixer.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Juno_UE4.png

I put a lot of effort on the eyes, but still is rather artificial. Make hair still sucks in this generation… I mean, still is a tedious and long work, so I skip it. Hooray to the end of dumb normal maps that make everything look like polished chrome. The skin is very close to the ideal thanks to the new shaders, much better than last generation. During the Witcher 3 demo that I saw at a convention, the skin tone is even better than this, with all the scenery running along. But with a few more days I hope to get there.

As in the previous scene, only this one model is being rendered, making it easy enough for the engine time to apply all the lighting effects, shaders, bump maps, etc. When adding complex scenarios, I will definitely have to lower specifications.

I still have much to discover, especially when more complex elements come to the scene. Today I gona play around with different types of clothing fabrics. In Metal Gear Ground Zeroes for example, the clothes are awesome in PS4. The leather draws enough attention. But all the relatively “easy to reproduce” materials, such as metal weapons, looks pretty artificial in the game…

By the way, some comments made ​​me remember the first time I saw this screen.

http://all-things-computers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Mario64.jpg

Mario was real. Mankind had found its apex. Not sure how the graphics could evolve from this moment on… =]

Great job Juno, as for the legend of zelda boomerang \shield scene.
The eyes looks acceptable,( sorry but the screen is a bit too small to say some more), but it would depend on the lightning of your level and how the the light will be accumulated on the eye cornea/irises and how it should apply with a dynamic lightning.

The skin looks really nice but the back light is very intense, there is some SSS applied on the skin at that time ?

we need more works in progress people! there are only 4 threads. id think a ton of people would have gotten the engine by now :wink: guess they are holding out or just busy looking at the videos and docs. this is a really great engine and it even runs decently on my pc (not 120 fps) but good enough to work with :-). even at ultra!

Really amazing your test. You did everything from scratch?