User Tag List

Thread: [WIP] A Star Falls - Pandagon Studios Inc.

[WIP] A Star Falls - Pandagon Studios Inc.

Pandagon Studios Inc.

Name:  PandagonLogoSmall.jpg
Views: 3378
Size:  193.7 KB

Name:  who we are.jpg
Views: 3323
Size:  47.2 KB

Pandagon Studios Inc. is a small dedicated indie dev team consisting of 7 employees. Due to their passion for video games and game development, these employees are working on the studio’s first title code-named A Star Falls. From the beginning our mission was to make the most of design and functionality, to give players of our games the best experience possible.

Our website http://www.PandagonStudios.net

Name:  The Game.jpg
Views: 3308
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  ASF logo 3 with background (WM) small.jpg
Views: 3376
Size:  226.5 KB

A Star Falls is set in Atlanta Georgia. It is a first person sci-fi horror game that focuses on stealth, puzzle solving and melee style combat.

Backstory

A meteor has fallen and the city is now in complete chaos. You play as Johnathan Albright, who has just woken from a coma in the hospital. John has no clue what has happened, only possessing the desperate need to find his daughter. Players will be tasked with guiding Jonathan through the horrifying city, surviving whatever that crosses his path, not knowing what lurks around the corner or if the people you meet are friend or foe. Hidden messages and files will offer clues fleshing out events that have unfolded around you, and background on the corpses littered around the city.

Development

The game is in the currently nearing the end of the prototype phase of development. We already have most of the game mechanics ironed out, but still in need of testers to receive feedback.

A Star falls is being developed first on PC but depending on funding, either through Kickstarter or by way of a publisher, we would like to distribute the game digitally on other platforms. Our main focus right now is to develop a demo that will show off the majority of the game’s design before we begin the crowdfunding phase.

Name:  the team.jpg
Views: 3297
Size:  46.1 KB

Zachary Bracker: President/ Game Director
    Years of experience: 6

Daniel Beaty - Vice President/ Lead Level Designer
    ​Years of experience: 4

Laura Stuart – Lead Concept Artist
    Years of experience: 8

Tim Clague - Game Writer
    Years of experience: 15

Jaime Marcello - Sound Designer/ Composer
    Years of experience: 4

Jennifer Green - 3D Environment Artist
    ​Years of experience: 3

Matthew Gillmeister - Character Artist
    Years of experience: 4

Open Positions
    [1x] Blueprint/ C++ Programmer
    [2x] 3d Artist

You can find out more about the open positions and apply on our website, http://www.pandagonstudios.net/jobs/

Name:  the art.jpg
Views: 3286
Size:  44.7 KB

Hospital Hallway 1
    Name:  Hallway 1 (WM).jpg
Views: 3381
Size:  472.0 KB

Recovery Room 1
    Name:  Recovery Room 1 (WM).jpg
Views: 3346
Size:  426.4 KB

Break Room 1
    Name:  Break Room 1 (WM).jpg
Views: 3340
Size:  555.9 KB
    Last edited by Panda256; 07-26-2016 at 10:57 PM.

We Are Hiring 2x Environment Artists/ 3D artists, and a Lead Blueprint/ C++ Programmer. https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...249#post134249

Fantastic concept art, cant wait to see it come alive...

Aaron Tofani - Antisocial Games

I really like your logo, haha. Panda + Polygon = Pandagon

Banned
    Intense art! I hope the game is that atmospheric!

Quote Originally Posted by reok View Post
    I really like your logo, haha. Panda + Polygon = Pandagon
    Haha thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Dorman View Post
    Intense art! I hope the game is that atmospheric!
    Thnaks, yes we plan on it! The things that we love about classic horror games was the physiological effects that it had on the player. Were focusing less on jump scare tactics, with our main focus on sound design and artwork/ environments, to create fear.

Unreal Engine Support
    Howdy Panda256,

Fantastic Concept Art! This game is going to be very intense just by looking at the few pieces that you are showing. I am very excited to see how this project progresses. Be sure to keep us updated as you do! Have a great day and keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Gribbin View Post
    Howdy Panda256,

Fantastic Concept Art! This game is going to be very intense just by looking at the few pieces that you are showing. I am very excited to see how this project progresses. Be sure to keep us updated as you do! Have a great day and keep up the great work!
    Thanks. Really appreciate what everyone has said so far. We will tray to update weekly as best as possible.

new concept art.

Name:  hospital room 1 (WM).jpg
Views: 3725
Size:  715.0 KB

UE Community Manager
    Well this certinly will help me sleep tonight :|

Hello Unreal Community,

It’s been a while since our last update in our WIP page, so we felt like we needed to keep you all updated on the development of the game. The team is currently working on the prototyping and testing phases of the game, involving gameplay mechanics and AI. We also have a few teaser trailers in the works. There not ready to be shown off yet but hopefully we can soon. We are just a small team of people working together on our spare time as we all already have full time jobs. This being one of the hardest parts of development we want to make sure that we have nailed down many of the game mechanics before moving on.

During the last 2 months we been giving out prototypes of the game to many of you in the unreal community, and so far we have received great feedback. If you would like to help us shape the game for the future we are opening up our applications to even more people. Please fill of a form if you wish to play.

https://www.pandagonstudios.net/playtest.html (still working on website)

Sadly we can’t show off gameplay yet, but we do have more concept art for you all.

Name:  Hallway 2 (WM) small.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  279.0 KB

Name:  Waiting Room 1 (WM) small.jpg
Views: 2474
Size:  245.3 KB

Name:  Hallway 3 Gate No Blood (WM) small.jpg
Views: 2389
Size:  161.5 KB

Name:  Lighter (WM) small.jpg
Views: 2338
Size:  152.1 KB

Thanks,

from the Pandagon Studios team

Luminary
    Nice. I love the concept art ... can't wait to see what you have planned and watch it come to live. 8-}

Quote Originally Posted by qdelpeche View Post
    Nice. I love the concept art ... can't wait to see what you have planned and watch it come to live. 8-}
    Thanks! We cant wait to show it off.

We are hiring for these positions:

1x Lead Environment Artist/ 3D Artist
    1x Blueprint/ C++ Programmer
    1x Audio Engineer/ Sound Designer
    Last edited by Panda256; 07-09-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Hello Unreal Community,

We have been pretty quiet lately, so we wanted to give everyone a update on the game. The team is hard at work at implementing and prototyping new and improved gameplay mechanics along with advanced procedural A.I. We have also converted our 3d modeling pipeline to include photogrammetry based assets and fully physical rendered materials. So this switch took us back a few steps by learning this new workflow but overall we have great results.

You can learn more about the game on our projects page of our website, http://www.pandagonstudios.net/projects/ .

The team would like to thank you for the great support and feedback we have received from the unreal community. We are still needing the help of additional people to test and give feedback on the updated game mechanics and A.I. If you are interested please fill out a application on our website, http://www.pandagonstudios.net/playtest/

We still are not ready to show off any gameplay publicly, but we can tease some of the early character art.

Name:  Male Crazed #3 (WM) Small.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  215.3 KB

Name:  UE4 Male Scrub Test 1 (WM) small.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  UE4 Male Scrub Test 2 (WM) small.jpg
Views: 1786
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  UE4 Male Scrub Test 3 (WM) small.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  122.5 KB

Thank you for your support.

From the Pandagon Studios Team
    Last edited by Panda256; 01-13-2016 at 09:04 PM.

I was wondering how far the projects modeling has come, like if anyone could see a little bit more then have then in the past few months to give us enlightenment that this project isn't dead. I'm very curious as it is kind of bothering that there hasn't been any recent update on the development and I see a lot of members posting around to work for others.

Quote Originally Posted by xSoulSpectrumx View Post
    I was wondering how far the projects modeling has come, like if anyone could see a little bit more then have then in the past few months to give us enlightenment that this project isn't dead. I'm very curious as it is kind of bothering that there hasn't been any recent update on the development and I see a lot of members posting around to work for others.
    As we are finishing up prototyping and playtesting, we have been very quiet about the game. I can assure you that everything is still on track and progressing greatly. We are preparing to show off some in game work soon along with a few trailers. So please stand by.

We know it has been many months since our last official update, and would like to apologize that we should be more active on the forums, then we have in the past. We would like to let the community know that we are still actively developing A Star Falls. Furthermore, we will begin posting frequently to update the community about the game’s development, starting with this post.

Since our last update, we have hired a few talented people into the studio such as, Matthew Mangini. Matthew was hired as our Lead 3D Artist. He last worked for SOE, working on Planetside 2 as an environment artist. He has been able to dramatically increase production of 3D art assets. We will share one of those assets today and plenty more in the coming weeks and months. As with all game content we share, we are open to constructive feedback on the art asset.

Name:  QDfRIx9.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  lGMAyyv.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  2msCP5A.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  89.6 KB

Lastly, we are currently in the process of restructuring the studio, and as a result of this process, we now have 5 open positions. You can find out more about the open positions and apply on our website, http://www.pandagonstudios.net/jobs/.

Open positions:

[1x] Blueprint/ C++ Programmer
    [1x] Character Artist
    [2x] 3d Artist
    Last edited by Panda256; 01-29-2016 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Issue with website link

We wanted to start out this week's post highlighting another staff member, Jaime Marcelo, our Sound Designer/ Composer. Jaime is a performer, composer and audio engineer living in New York City. Last year, he performed at Lollapalooza, playing guitar for the band Atarah Valentine. Before that he was performing in Off-Broadway productions on violin and guitar.

Today we would like to share two pieces of content. The first being a music track created by Jaime. You can listen to the track in its entirety on soundcloud. The second being a textured render of a hospital bed, created by our Lead 3d Artist Matthew Mangini, who will explain a little bit about the creation of the bed shown below.

Name:  UMRgALd.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  btZq5sY.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  143.5 KB

Name:  MdqtAy5.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  146.9 KB

My hospital bed represents a classic 90s design, and is set where our story begins, inside an empty patient room. I began with several photo references and sketches of a 90's style hospital bed. Using Maya, I modeled the high poly meshes for all hard surfaces and the base mesh for fabrics. The meshes were then moved to Zbrush for cloth sculpting and final details. The textures and baked bitmaps were created with Substance Painter and Substance Designer, then imported into Unreal 4 for the final results.

The Physically Based pipeline is somewhat new to me, as it's my first time using the new set of software, from Allgorithmic Substance Suite. I’m still exploring new territory within the Substance Suite and have been especially impressed with its powerful set of features allowing for greater flexibility during projects. I’ve been challenged to quickly learn and foster these new skills and continue to look onto to other artists for more inspiration. - Matthew Mangini

This week has been a very busy one for us. We started working on prototyping our newly re-envisioned Multi-Action Interface mechanic, that we hope to be a better fit for on the fly quick interaction with objects. This also means that we are beginning to look for more playtesters for our next round of playtesting. The playtest doesn’t have a set date yet, but we hope to have it in the hands of our playtesters in the coming weeks. If you’re interested in playtesting A Star Falls, you can visit our playtest webpage to apply. We will post more info about the playtest when it is available in this thread, on Twitter, and our Facebook page.

This week will be a quick update. First off, we just brought on board an award winning BAFTA writer to help us flesh out the game’s story and characters. We are very excited to have him on the team and look forward to sharing more info about him and his works in the future. Next, our lead 3D artist Matt would like to show off a WIP couch model he is working on. As usual your constructive feedback is always welcomed.

Name:  a3Vggwg.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  pOuybBL.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  90.6 KB

The prototype has made steady progress this week, and we are on track to having the Action Interface mechanic completely prototyped this week. However, the Action Interface’s development hasn’t been completely smooth. Below, Daniel Beaty our lead Level Designer, will briefly discuss a problem he had during the mechanic’s development and how he overcame it.

One element of the Action Interface blueprint is the Text Render Component. As I’ve found out, the text component can be quite buggy, especially when it comes to updating properly in the viewport (map and blueprint viewport). For example, I would change the text but this change would not be reflected in the viewport, as you would expect. Meaning the text being rendered in the viewport is not the same as the text in the details window. Thanks to the help of AnswerHub, I discovered you can get the text to update properly in the viewport by renaming the text component or duplicating the actor it is attached to. Another bug I have encountered is the Get Text World Size function will not output the correct size in the construction graph when you change the text. This is very important as I’m using the text world size to wrap the collision box around the text. I’ve got around this bug by just wrapping the collision around the text during runtime instead of the construction graph. - Daniel Beaty

This week we would like to highlight our newest staff Tim Clague. Tim is a BAFTA nominated scriptwriter and an advocate for greater emotional depth in games. Tim also has accreditations as being a judge on the BAFTA Games Awards Panel. He has worked on a variety of interactive projects, from small web-based games up to being Senior Creative Designer for the large scale action MMO, “APB”. He has also created narrative based trailers for Lego, Chaos Reborn and Creative Assembly. Tim also works in ‘old media’ with his most recent feature film being the children’s mystery movie; “Who Killed Nelson Nutmeg?”.

Next, to keep up with our weekly updates, here is a finished update to the couch model we showed off last week, modeled by our Lead 3d Artist Matthew Mangini. As usual your constructive feedback is always welcomed.

Name:  kxK4kn5.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  124.9 KB

Name:  4Q6LHwm.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  124.4 KB

Nice to see this continuing to progress, great job

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
    Nice to see this continuing to progress, great job
    Thanks DarkRider

This week has been a busy one for us. Our game writer, Tim Clague, has been hard at work branching out the story of “A Star Falls”, along with creating a new narrative design document, (NDD). This document outlines all the elements that influence and affect the story of “A Star Falls”, including the plot, characters and themes.

In this week's post we wanted to show off something a little different. Our lead artist Matthew Mangini, has been working on some materials this week for the hospital level of the game and would like to show a few off. Both materials were created in substance designer/ painter.

Tiled floor material

Name:  q9eb3UH.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  192.5 KB

Name:  NwTLWCv.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  328.6 KB

Painted plaster wall material

Name:  8UMAn11.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  115.1 KB

Name:  rFa0ZEb.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  279.1 KB

Progress on the playtest has been steady. We finished creating all of the mechanics that will be in the playtest. Most of these mechanics revolve around how the player interacts with the world. Now all that is left to do is to create the level and implement all of the interactions we will be testing.

If you’re interested in participating in the playtest, you can fill out an application on our playtest page.

This week we have been heavily working on the playtest. Currently, we are blocking out the level and figuring out ways to test out the interaction mechanics.

We want to keep up the weekly art updates, from our lead artist Matthew Mangini, with a untextured model of a dresser on wheels that will be used in the playtest and in the patient rooms of the hospital. Constructive feedback is always welcomed.

Name:  vKE1VbS.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  147.4 KB

Name:  Ct65wUU.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  137.3 KB

nice i like it sketches very good (=

This week we have made great strides to both the art assets and the playtest. To keep up with the increasing need for pushing out art assets we opened up a Shader and Texture Artist position for the studio. This person will be responsible for creating and optimizing PBR shaders and textures within the project. To learn more about the position or to apply please visit our jobs page on our website.

Next, to keep up with our weekly updates here is a finished update to the dresser model we showed off last week, modeled by our Lead 3d Artist Matt. As usual your constructive feedback is always welcomed.

Name:  YCTaJC0.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  162.4 KB

Name:  FVZfrFx.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  147.0 KB

If you’re interested in participating in the playtest, you can fill out an application on our playtest page.

The past few weeks we have been working hard to finish the playtest, and we are happy to announce that we expect to roll out the next playtest within the coming week. With that said, we still could use a few more playtesters, so if you are interested in becoming a playtester for us, please fill out an application on our website. Once the playtest is ready, we will send out an email to all of our playtesters with instructions on how to download and perform the playtest.

We would like to thank everyone who completed the playtest so far. The second round of invites have been sent out today. If you are interested in becoming a playtester, please fill out an application on our website. If you are selected, will send out an email to you with instructions on how to download and perform the playtest.

We would like to thank everyone once again for your playtest responses and feedback. The feedback we received has helped us to improve the feel of the interaction system.

Over the last month and a half things have progressed quite nicely. We welcomed two new staff onto the team, Joshua England as our Jr 3D Artist and Matthew Gillmeister as our 3D Character Artist. The studio has also been experimenting with photogrammetry using Agisoft Photoscan, and we look forward to showing off what we have been able to produce using photogrammetry, in the near future.

In this update we wanted to showcase one of our new employees Joshua England. Joshua is currently an Environment Artist at Funcom helping to create content for “The Secret World”. Joshua will be providing his talents to help create the mood and atmosphere of “A Star Falls”. One of the first assets he completed was the lighter that will be used by the main player.

Name:  dzkdvbp.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  214.7 KB

Name:  COPGtCe.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  280.7 KB

Name:  B3UuEfY.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  GQH7hcR.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  179.5 KB

is this project dead?
    Current Projects:

• Email: tessaro.unrealdeveloper@hotmail.com
    [LFW][PAID] Blueprint specialist, send me a PM or email if you need help for your project.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipeTessaro View Post
    is this project dead?
    No, we have been very busy the last few months working on the game.

Over the past few months, all of our departments have made great progress on the game, which we hope to share with you in the future, but today we would like to show off a few screenshots of 3D meshes that our recently constructed photogrammetry studio has been able to produce. All screenshots were taken within UE4. Also, we are proud to announce that we have begun development on a demo, so if you’re interested in playtesting our game, you can go ahead and apply to become a playtester on our website.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version