Project:

In UE2 we had a simple but fun called a FluidSurfaceInfo. was a small, simulated fluid surface that you could place in your level, and would respond to the player running through it and shooting it. It was requested that we bring back in UE4. So I am posting the original source from UE2, if anyone is interested in porting it to UE4 as a ! I made a page on the wiki with the source code here:

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/FluidSurface_Plugin

is a CPU implementation. In UE3 we had a more sophisticated GPU-based fluid surface implementation, but I donā€™t really know that code, and I thought would be a simpler place to start. I would look at the CableComponent to give an example of how to set up a and render custom geometry each frame. is not intended to be an ā€˜ocean surfaceā€™ , but something useful for small pools of water (or, you know, toxic acid, lava, the usualā€¦). is UE2 source, back when we had .uc files, so the first job will be turning those into UE4 decorated C++ headers.

Iā€™m happy to try and answer any questions about here it here on the forums (if I can remember!) and Iā€™m sorry for the lack of comments :(. If anyone makes some progress, please post your branch here so others can check it out and contribute :slight_smile:

Just downloaded the code. Figured I would give it a shot as would actually come in handy for my project. Will post if I have any breakthroughs.

I hope someone figures out!

I do miss those fluid surfaces!

Thanks for bringing up !

:slight_smile:

That was amazing time, I remember my first ā€˜OMG! AWESOME!ā€™ reaction to UT2003 water. And then water splashes were attached in UT2004ā€¦ Still one of my fav VFX out there. Thanks, ****!

Iā€™ll also take a look at it, see what I can do. Thanks for posting it .

Need it badly

As Iā€™m the greatest Noob at the history of c++ xD

I need integration badly ā€¦but how could I ? !!! :frowning:

Iā€™ve started writing the based on the code from above. The first iteration will be a complete CPU based solution based on the above. Then I will improve it from there.

EDIT: So far basic rendering of hex grid done.

Wow that was fast, nice work buddy.

Another update. Testing ripples.

https://.google.com/file/d/0BzqpBc4MrAMXMUc5ZUh3aTJvN0U/edit?usp=sharing

More water rippling. Actor interaction.

Nice one! Looks good so far.

Wow thatā€™s looking awesome. Canā€™t wait to see the whole thing.

You guyz need to hook up with these guyz: JBaldwin - UE4 Content Preview Thread - Work in Progress - Unreal Engine Forums

Wow, nice! Is your work on ? Let me know if youā€™d like a review or anything.

Thanks , not yet, just added oscillators and Hit/Touch . Just need to clean up the rendering code a bit then will upload to

is awesome work, very nice

You need to put inside folder and compile again? Thanks.

Release v0.0.1

** Release v0.0.1**

Okay so I am not used to using , so I have uploaded the source code for the to my private fork. Youā€™ll find it under the branch in ā€œEngine/Plugins/Runtime//ā€. Link is https://.com//UnrealEngine. The contains the following:

• CPU Based fluid simulation (Based on the UE2 code originally provided by ) - Up to 255x255 grid, with variable spacing
  • Particle that play when surface receives damage or when overlapped by an actor supporting overlapping
  • Material Tessellation
  • A small Modifier framework (Can create new modifiers based off AFluidSurfaceModifier)
  • An oscillator modifier
  • An example rain effect modifier

There is still plenty of work to be done, so is purely still an alpha test release, use at your own risk. For now you will have to compile your own version (I will provide precompiled binaries later when the is more stable).

Here is a video that shows the features:
https://.google.com/file/d/0BzqpBc4MrAMXNm5nUU5WVWNoc1k/edit?usp=sharing

Now that the files are up on , feel free to review it, apologies in advance for the messy code.

1 Like

Nice work , that was really fast :slight_smile: Looking forward to what youā€™ll make out of it :slight_smile:

Niiiice! What a cool example of ā€œthe New Epic!ā€ I canā€™t wait to see where all goes :smiley: