User Tag List

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [RELEASED] trueSKY Alpha for UE4: Complete Sky and Weather System

[RELEASED] trueSKY Alpha for UE4: Complete Sky and Weather System

I'd like to announce the imminent release of trueSKY Alpha.

trueSKY is perhaps the leading sky and weather middleware, to be seen in triple-A games from Ubisoft, Bohemia Interactive and many more.
    trueSKY Alpha is the indie version - it comes as a royalty-free yearly subscription, and is available to any individual developer, or companies of four people or fewer, for any project with a budget under $100k. The yearly subscription price is £150 per seat, reduced to £75 per seat if you buy before the official release date of 3rd September 2014.

As it's a plugin, it won't be available on Marketplace for a while yet, until then you can find it at our website.

Some coding is required! You'll find instructions here on what you'll need to do.

FEATURES

• Day-night cycle based on latitude, longitude, time-of-year
    • Fully real-time, everything is dynamic
    • High performance rendering
    • Dynamic volumetric atmospherics and fog
    • Fully volumetric clouds – no sprites, impostors or billboards
    • Moving cloud shadows on the ground
    • Clouds you can fly through
    • Real time weather changes – create keyframed weather sequences
    • Rain and snow – define movable precipitation areas.
    • Full integration: drive Unreal Engine’s lighting from trueSKY; drive trueSKY's properties from Unreal.

Name:  SimpleBlueprint.png
Views: 35478
Size:  50.1 KB

The first official release is 3rd September 2014; until then, licences are half-price and we welcome any feedback and bug reports. If you have any questions, I'm happy to field them here, or via email at contact@simul.co.

Roderick
    Simul Software Ltd
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Roderick Kennedy; 09-01-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Video added

Looks promising, got any video?

Yeah, it would be cool to see a video demonstration.

I'll post a proper product video in the next couple of days. Meanwhile, here's a short one we made to demonstrate the cloud shadows:

UPDATE: I've added the introductory video to the initial post!
    Last edited by Roderick Kennedy; 08-31-2014 at 12:58 PM.

awesome! sold in the first slider drag in the top video! I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick Kennedy View Post
    wow, this is a must have...

So no support for OSX at the moment? This is a deal breaker for me. I develop cross platform.

Looks really awesome. I going to give the trial a go !

Couple of questions:
    How's it look from above the clouds?
    and
    Can I evaluate it?
    and
    If I let my subscription lapse, can I still access the maps, etc? Or will those throw errors/ not load? How is that handled?

I'm evaluating it now, it seems powerful.
    But is it possible to access, at runtime from blueprint or code, at the keyframed properties of the sky and clouds?
    Last edited by ACCA software S.p.A.; 09-05-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Shannon View Post
    If I let my subscription lapse, can I still access the maps, etc? Or will those throw errors/ not load? How is that handled?
    same question, what happens when the subscription ends?

Promoter
    Everything looks nice but price.. 200 euro .

Same question, what happen when subscription ends?

Unreal Engine Developer
    Looks like a great plugin, guys! Thanks for integrating it into the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich.Thümmler View Post
    Acceptable!
    What's the performance impact?

this testscene works with 120fps on 760gtx

Luminary
    I really want to use that but that price...

Simply cannot afford it

Guess I should have been more specific.

Edit: Will you make an offering in USD opposed to British Pounds sterling?

Also like others have said - What happens if I let me subscription lapse?
    Last edited by HeadClot; 09-07-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post

Simply cannot afford it
    I have to agree. Also, the ambiguity about the licensing terms and lack of response from the developer in this forum isn't exactly giving me reason to plop down a chunk of money.
    It's tough to justify the price when the engine it's running in is about the same price, and it has a LOT more in the way of features :/

Luminary
    I have to agree. Also, the ambiguity about the licensing terms and lack of response from the developer in this forum isn't exactly giving me reason to plop down a chunk of money.
    It's tough to justify the price when the engine it's running in is about the same price, and it has a LOT more in the way of features :/
    Looks like they have updated their site with a 15 pounds sterling monthly subscription.

But still no word on what happens if I let my subscription lapse.

If I get to keep the tool and just need to pay for updates I am sold.

Looks like they have updated their site with a 15 pounds sterling monthly subscription.

But still no word on what happens if I let my subscription lapse.

If I get to keep the tool and just need to pay for updates I am sold.
    Totally. I'd be on it in a second if that were the case. I'm DYING to put my "Personal Jet" map to the test! My environment right now is pretty... lackluster :P

I am impressed with what I see but there is no reason to ask for a subscription for this. I would purchase this at 150 US even if that did not include the source. If it works and I can gather data from it for player information then no need for source.

No Sub please!

Would also like to know what happens when subscription has ended? Also the price in the Unity asset store is $50 and isn't a subscription, seems like a much better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitrec View Post
    Would also like to know what happens when subscription has ended? Also the price in the Unity asset store is $50 and isn't a subscription, seems like a much better deal.
    Interesting. On their website, it's $150 for the Unity version(on sale from $250!), but on the unity Asset Store, it's $50! But for UE4, it's about $195 (For some reason listed as euros where the Unity stuff is listed in dollars.), and that's a subscription.

I'm hugely interested in this plugin, but the lack of response, documentation and haphazard licensing, pricing and overall organization has pretty much eliminated any excitement I had about it :/

Get yo **** together Simul and take my MONEY!
    Last edited by Tom Shannon; 09-08-2014 at 01:11 PM.

I'm hugely interested in this plugin, but the lack of response, documentation and haphazard licensing, pricing and overall organization has pretty much eliminated any excitement I had about it :/

Get yo **** together Simul and take my MONEY!

I totally agree, i am also really interested in this plugin!

Yup, If we could continue to use what we've created with it after subscription has ended I would have subscribed the first time I saw it. Not sure If I would dare to buy it when they hardly reply at all, don't want to depend on a plugin in case it end up not continuing support for further UE versions.

Simply cannot afford it

Guess I should have been more specific.

Edit: Will you make an offering in USD opposed to British Pounds sterling?
    Selling in USD plays havoc with our accounting software so we're sticking with pounds until plugins are allowed in UE4 Marketplace. The pound is weak right now, so your dollars go a bit further than they used to!

Also like others have said - What happens if I let me subscription lapse?
    If your subscription lapses, you can no longer change the sky properties from within Unreal Editor, but everything else continues to work.

We also have a monthly subscription at £15 a month.

And here's a voucher code for 50% off a 1-year sub: 459adb12ef- it's good until Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitrec View Post
    Yup, If we could continue to use what we've created with it after subscription has ended I would have subscribed the first time I saw it. Not sure If I would dare to buy it when they hardly reply at all, don't want to depend on a plugin in case it end up not continuing support for further UE versions.
    Just to be clear - anything you create with trueSKY on a subscription will continue working after it expires. If you publish a game with trueSKY content, it won't stop working or expire. The subscription is for you, to use the tools.

Interesting. On their website, it's $150 for the Unity version(on sale from $250!), but on the unity Asset Store, it's $50!
    The Unity Asset store is taking their time updating from the early-bird launch price to the regular pricing; they're also a bit slow posting updates so we're ok with this while they've still sending out version 1.0 to customers.

For Unity - there's an initial product, trueSKY Alpha, at $250. There will be bug fixes, but not major updates. Any major updates for Unity will be a separate product, e.g. trueSKY Alpha 2.

For UE4, we're going with a subscription model, with continuous updates - so you'll always have something that tracks our latest feature-set.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCA software S.p.A. View Post
    I'm evaluating it now, it seems powerful.
    But is it possible to access, at runtime from blueprint or code, at the keyframed properties of the sky and clouds?
    This feature has just been added: I'll post some docs and a tutorial ASAP. Basically, you can control everything from Blueprint.

Looks brilliant Roderick! Now if only our game universe had clouds...! Keep it up!
    Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-source template)

Roderick,

Thanks for clearing all of that up! I'm happy to hear the reasoning behind the subscription model. It certainly makes a lot more sense than a single purchase.
    I'll see if I can scrape together the funds before Friday!

I'll see if I can scrape together the funds before Friday!
    Tom - I'd love to see an update of your Personal Jet demo with trueSKY!
    Roderick Kennedy

Just to be clear - anything you create with trueSKY on a subscription will continue working after it expires. If you publish a game with trueSKY content, it won't stop working or expire. The subscription is for you, to use the tools.
    That sounds great! We'll give it a try, thanks Roderick.

By the looks of it, I can't purchase a subscription without a credit card which is connected to my PayPal account, would it be possible to allow any purchase through PayPal, for example through direct debit and a connected bank account?

Haha, this blows my time of day setup out of the water! Well done man, those clouds are beautiful.
    Fully dynamic Time of Day System blueprint: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-of-Day-Setup Download it for free now!

Can ya'll add lightning?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakraid View Post
    By the looks of it, I can't purchase a subscription without a credit card which is connected to my PayPal account, would it be possible to allow any purchase through PayPal, for example through direct debit and a connected bank account?
    I can't immediately see why this doesn't work already: what message do you get from PayPal or the gateway?
    Roderick Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Sirhope View Post
    Can ya'll add lightning?
    Sure! It's in our main feature set, we just need to polish up the interface and UE integration.
    Roderick Kennedy

I can't immediately see why this doesn't work already: what message do you get from PayPal or the gateway?
    I am sorry for my late response, but here is the message I get when trying to purchase through PayPal:
    "Sie müssen eine Kreditkarte hinzufügen, um den Einkauf abzuschließen. Für diese Zahlung ist momentan leider kein Lastschriftverfahren möglich."
    As it's in German, I will translate it: "You need to add a Credit Card to complete the purchase. There is no direct debit available for this payment."

Banned
    Cool but why a year subsription? why you dont sell the asset and people will just have it? , this is like paying unreal engine so developers has to pay 20 us a month for unreal and like 10 or 12 us for the system? and we are talking unreal engine here not a system for unreal , this sounds unfair for most indie developers , dont help at all ....personal opinion although with all respect .

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast