[REQUEST] Ability to use Custom BP Splines with Landscape Splines

Hey Guys! :slight_smile:

I have a request regarding Blueprint Splines having the same ability to transform the landscape raise/lower to create a flat road grade.

is a continuation from a question after mentioned I should fill out after we had discussed it HERE (near the end).

The current system requires you to use the Landscape splines system, which allows you to attach a mesh, and use it as a type of Road Tool. is great, but is extremely limited when it comes to formatting the meshes ans materials attached to the spline.

I have created myself a custom Blueprint Spline based Road Tool based on forum user 's tutorial (SEE HERE), which works great! There is an added to road tool that allows you to change the spacing and blend the tangents between 2 meshes connected to the segments, which allows you to create perfectly rounded sweeping corners, and works great! I would like to use instead of the landscape tool, currently all I can come up with is to do the process twice, level the ground with landscape splines, then run my custom tool and place points in the same spot along the spline, but is a hassle and doesn’t always work.

I had planned to supply screenshots here, but I’m having an all of a sudden and cannot open my project :frowning: But essentially, the corners were treated in the landscape tool as only turning every 2000 units (my mesh is 2,000 long x 1,000 wide each). So the corner would look look blocky (angular like the edge of a stop sign) no matter how many points I added, it wouldn’t change the look.

But to sum it up, I would like my custom BP spline Road Tool to have the ability to affect the landscape in the same way by raise/lower the terrain to match the road surface. It would be much simpler, and depending on how much more I add too the tool (I am trying to come up with a way of creating intersections, and splitting a lane off of the road tool that as a freeway exit, and more). So any where I can adjust the landscape to fit would be great! I can think of many other uses for BP Splines that are able to modify the landscape, such as a river tool, where you are able to adjust how much of the terrain is gouged out below the river spline, and many more. And I would love to see happen as it would open up the spline tool to some interesting uses!!

Anyways, I hope you guys like the idea, I think giving the BP spline’s some more power would be an awesome addition! Thanks Guys! :smiley:

Sorry I am unable to post images, my project got messed up and I am just finishing restoring it, I tried to take a screenshot in a separate project but wasn’t getting the same results.

But I am wondering if kind of functionality could be added for a blueprint based spline? Essentially I want it to be able to act like a landscape spline, but be a BP spline that I can edit, modify, and add new functionality too.

Thank you.

Not to necro and old thread but based on : Procedural Road And Highway Tool With Simple Vehicle Traffic in Blueprints - UE Marketplace - it definitely seems possible. No idea how it’s done though.

I don’t know when it was added, but it’s been in the editor for a while now. http://api.unrealengine.com/INT/BlueprintAPI/LandscapeEditor/EditorApplySpline/