Errors building the source code

Hi,

I am having some trouble building the source code.

I am running VS2013 Ultimate on Windows 7. I got the source from Git, downloaded and extracted the required dependencies into the UnrealEngine folder, ran [FONT=Courier New]GenerateProjectFiles.bat and started up the solution. I am trying to build the editor, so I set my solution configuration to build Development Editor on Win64. However, I ran into a number of issues.

First, [FONT=Courier New]zlib-1.2.5 was missing. I copied it from the precompiled engine into the correct folder in the source code ([FONT=Courier New]\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\zlib) and that problem went away. But since this was a problem in the first place, I suspect it may be because I did something wrong along the way. Right now I have 3 more build errors:

Error	1	error : Failed to generate code for UE4Editor	D:\Development\Unreal Engine 4 Source\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ 	EXEC
Error	2	error : UnrealHeaderTool failed for target 'UE4Editor' (platform: Win64, module info: D:\Development\Unreal Engine 4 Source\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest).	D:\Development\Unreal Engine 4 Source\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\		EXEC
Error	3	error MSB3073: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development" exited with code -1.	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets		 Line 38

Can anyone help?

Hi . The ThirdParty\zlib folder should have come in with Required_2of2.zip. I’m not sure why it didn’t show up for you. Is it possible it was a corrupted download or that the archive did not finish extracting completely? I wonder if the errors you are currently seeing might also be related. Maybe try extracting that zip again and overwriting the files that are already there (assuming you haven’t modified those files already).

Thanks, !

I must have messed up the zip extraction. I re-downloaded the dependencies and it built successfully.

I’m using Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate Update 4

LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ‘sicudt.lib’
ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealHelperTool.exe

It seems icu libs are only build for VS2013 By default. (Engine\Source\ThirdParty\ICU\icu4c-51_2\Win64\VS2013)

Anyone have the binaries for VS2012 version?
(I’m currently trying to build them my self but building icu seems to be a bit of a pain)

edit
Ou hang on… Optional.zip
Ehh… I really should pay attention to those instructions.
So problem solved.

I actually have that icu compiling atm. So just out of curiosity I’m going to see if it compiles.
But don’t mind me. Carry on. sigh

Hi,
I am trying to compile with Visual studio 2012, I’ve added requested 1 & 2 and optionnal
This problem looks like 's one so I redownloaded, reextracted and overwrited the zip file as sugested but the error remained, any suggestion ?

Warning	1	The referenced component 'DotNETUtilities' could not be found. 	Distill
Warning	2	The referenced component 'RPCUtility' could not be found. 	IPhonePackager

Error	6	error : Failed to generate code for UE4Editor	...\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\EXEC	UE4
Error	7	error : UnrealHeaderTool failed for target 'UE4Editor' (platform: Win64, module info: ...\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest).	...\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\EXEC	UE4
Error	8	error MSB3073: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Rebuild.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development" exited with code 1.	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets	43	5	UE4

I just realiszed I didn’t gave any relevent information, the missing component are **DotNETUtilities **and ****RPCUtility ****(I updated my previous reply), just checked from this thread that I should have in my Engine\Binaries\DotNET\ folder the RPCUtility.exe file, which I have. also I redownloaded all the .zip file for the the second time (3 total) and the problem remain, so it’s definitively not just an extraction problem.

Should I give up on vs2012 and get 2013 ? did I missed a step ?

Isn’t the source targeting VS 2013 only?! I didn’t even tried anything on 2012.

as stated in the readme file, I should be able to compile with VS2012, once the optionnal zip is added,
is described how to generate the solution: GenerateProjectFiles.bat fails for VS2012 because of UnrealBuildTool set to 2013 - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

edit:
I fixed the problem in installing DirectX redist as sugested in this thread

I had issues with build errors until I remembered that Windows 7 sometimes marks archive files as **Blocked **as a security measure. Before extracting any of the ‘required’ zip files, right click on them, select **Properties **and check to see if there’s a button labeled Unblock. If there is, click on it and then click Apply. I think this will prevent any issues with incomplete extractions that may result in build errors due to missing files such as, in my case, zlib-1.2.5 not being extracted properly.