Video #2:
https://vimeo.com/104020816

Older videos:
Video #3
Video #4
Video #5
Video #6
Video #7

Hey everyone, I’m an indie games programmer as well as a professional C# developer and I’ve been working with and learning UE4 for the last few months. I have previous experience coding games in C++/DirectX/OpenGL and working with Unity, but I am still relatively new to UE4 although I have been learning it intensively.

I recently started a project with a working title of “Wilderness Survival” and as you may be able to guess, it’s yet another survival game. I intend for it to be multiplayer and persistent, with equal emphasis on PvE and PvP. There will be a basic crafting system allowing the player to create primitive tools, weapons and other items useful in a survival situation. The idea is to keep the game simple, approachable and infinitely re-playable through emergent gameplay. The goal of the player will be to survive as long as possible in a harsh environment with other players by foraging, hunting, gathering resources, crafting and building a camp/base. The only story is the one you create yourself by playing.

I will be working on this aggressively for the next 6 months to try to give the project some legs and have already begun prototyping basic gameplay systems.

My reason for posting is to offer an early glimpse to gauge interest level and to potentially recruit team members.

I’d like to keep the team very small. I believe the scope of the game is small enough that 2-3 skilled developers could pull it off.

I’m looking for a talented artist to work with that knows about modeling (3dsMax, Maya, or Modo), sculpting (ZBrush, Mudbox), PBR texturing (dDo or Substance Designer/Painter) and PBR materials (UE4). Ideally, I would prefer to work with someone who is capable of doing character art, props, and environment art.

I could also use an animator skilled with Maya, 3dsMax or Motion Builder to create a few biped and quadruped animation assets. It would be great if this person has experience with UE4 as well as they may be asked to create basic in-game cinematics (for promotion) and VFX.

The eventual goal here would be release to the PC platform via digital distribution (Steam).

See my recruiting post for more information and get in touch with me here through the forums if you feel like you’re the right person for the job and you’d like to express interest in one of the aforementioned roles.

Everyone else, feel free to let me know what you think of the videos which represent early glimpses of the potential game environments.

Howdy coreyx,

Great work so far on your project! Hope to see more updates in the future. Looks to be a very interesting game so far. You have implemented a couple of interesting features so far in your project. Have a great day!

Sounds very interesting, I’ve sent you a PM.

Interesting!

Awesome stuff man. If you’re looking for help, you can always hit up our Looking for Talent Forum.

Keep up the rad work :slight_smile:

Hi coreyx. No Zombies? Just kidding. One of my favorite Survival TV shows is Naked and Afraid. You know where I’m going with this. I say add more friends and more threats. Keep up the good work!

This sounds very interesting indeed!

Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot for the kind comments!

I’ve updated the original post with some new videos. I’ve been working on tweaking the lighting systems because dynamic lighting and day and night cycles are critical to the game idea. I want darkness without a light source to be disabling but not crippling, if that makes any sense. It will get very cold at night and if you don’t create fire, you’ll likely suffer negative effects or die. Dangerous animals will also be roaming around at night and the only way to protect yourself will be your fire and/or whatever weapon you have managed to craft from the resources you can find scattered about in the wilderness. One of the first animals I am going to implement is a wolf. You’ll be able to see those glowing eyes and hear their howls at night.

Here’s one of the new videos:

https://vimeo.com/104020816

Note that in my more recent videos I have modified and am re-purposing the recent Landscape Mountains environment from Epic for prototyping purposes (although it is good enough to potentially become one of the environments in the game). Thanks, Epic!

These will be your worst enemy at night:

I call this The Wolf Waltz:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IghdpxvUmgs