Gauntlet clone: This newbie went from zero to prototype in twenty-five hours

Hey all! Just wanted to compliment the Unreal team for their work on a great engine.

I’m a primarily lone wolf developer. After spending nine years writing my own game engine and editor, I switched to Unity and released a few mildly successful games. Now I’m in between major projects and thought I’d try my hand at the Unreal Editor with the goal of helping a friend write a Gauntlet clone.

After watching the first few tutorial videos, messing with the sample projects and lots of googling, here’s what I was able to create while still new to the engine and editor:

Couple points of interest:

• The assets were from the Cave Effects demo and the MixamoAnimPack. Both are freely available on the marketplace.
  • I’m well versed in C++ but used blueprints for everything. I really like the concept and visualization!
  • There’s no AI; the enemies spawn and b-line to the player.

I’m really impressed with how quickly I was able to put this together after getting over the tough first-few-hours learning curve, even if it is just mostly eye candy.

Good job Unreal team!

That is nice, man. Way to get up to speed. “. . .after getting over the tough first-few-hours learning curve, . . .” No messin’ around for you. Can’t wait to see what you come up with in a week or so.
Keep truckin’

Really impressive nicely done