[Twitch] Unreal Engine 4.4 Release - Aug. 14, 2014

WHAT
Unreal Engine 4.4 Features, UMG, and Marketplace

Continued discussion around Unreal Motion Graphics UI system, as well as more features we’re releasing in 4.4, such as Paper2D improvements! We’ll also give you an update on how to become a Marketplace developer.

WHEN
Thursday, August 14th @ 2PM EST - Countdown]

WHERE
www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
**, General Manager
Mike Fricker, Technical Director
** Ivey
, Community Manager

Feel free to drop any related questions into thread! See y’all Thursday.

EDIT: Recorded Stream is now up on YouTube

Awesome! 4.4 is week!?! Just wanted to say you guys are doing a great job at pumping out these updates, seems like 4.3 was just a couple weeks ago!

Looking forward to hearing more on the UMG updates! :wink:

Don’t know if related but are you guys working closely with the Oculus guys on the new Oculus VR SDK? For example direct to hmd mode and such? If so any time frame?

Oculus provides an integration of the sdk 0.4.1 (not a typo) with direct mode.
https://github/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine/tree/4.3

I pretty sure the new integration missed the 4.4 deadline.

Does UMG easily support proportional layouts? ie. The UI will look the same on all resolutions of the same aspect ratio, just scaled up or down as appropriate.

How user friendly will UMG be in terms of translating and supporting localized versions of a game? For example if you want to provide English, French and German menus?

Thanks, somehow I missed that integration! Thanks for telling

Yes, watch previous session.

Question for the stream/earlier.

How does one enable the Android Extension pack to get performance like was shown in the Google I/O build? I have a ADT-1 (should be the same hardware used for the demo) but all I can get are standard Android builds.

Thanks for the incredible effort/updates EPIC!

Anchoring to the centre =/= making a proportional layout. The controls did not resize when the resolution was made smaller or higher.

Anything you can tell what is in store for 4.5 ?

Question: Are you guys excited about OpenGL 4.5? Any plans to move to 4.5?

[QUESTIONS] Regarding the Marketplace:

1. What are the differences between adding free stuff and adding purchasable content, regarding both the process itself and the requirements?

2. Do we need to link a credit card/paypal account to our unreal account to start selling something on the Marketplace (hoping it’s more flexible for us to use)? If yes, does it have to be the same card/account we used to subscribe?

3. And last but not least, Regarding the contents that need updating for new engine versions, is the old version (of the content) going to be still available for anyone who isn’t using latest version of the engine? (you know, like some of the sample games)

Thanks in advance. See you on stream.

will Bitcoins be accepted for subscribing UE4 in the future ?
:slight_smile:

Any progress on the Twin Stick Shooter template? I have a base system working for my current project however I would love to see something from Epic in how you guys tackle setup thanks.

SIMPLE 2D PHYSICS CONSTRAINTS

Can’t wait to see in action!

Awesome!
I really hope that the Hot Reload improvement is coming soon, so we don’t need to re-open the editor all the time…

I can’t wait until thursday! :wink:

anymore info on google cardboard vr support ?

Off Topic: Water
1 Any news on the support for out of the box water/ ocean?
2 Way have Epic totally ignored oceans support out of the box in a next gen engine?
3 Is a priorety for you guys?

Please don`t ignore , i feel the community is not getting heard on one.
We get replyes you can do, and that but no real good exampels like you have for everythiing else.

I would like to create 3D application (for example GIS) using UE4 and Slate. Can i have UI controls around 3D viewport in my application? If it is possible where should i inject my root UI controls? Can UMG help me in my case?