Is there a way to import an uasset file?

I can copy the file into the content folder but it makes some problem for me .
There is any way i can import some name.uasset file ?

What kind of problem are you having when you copy&paste a .uasset file in to the content folder in explorer?

Hi

Copying should be fine as long as you copy all dependendies as well.

Do you get any errors?

Cheers,
michael

Well i’v been playing with the new releases of ue4, so i started in 4.01 and than opened the project in 4.1 preview release and then there were bugs so i installed 4.02 and reopened it then and then ( lol, a lot and then ) the map got ****** because it said that the map is from a newer version so i reimported the map ( basic example map ) but for some reason the character asset isn’t there anymore even though the file itself is there :expressionless:

I did some work on it and it is a shame if i will have to redo it all :S

Btw thanks for the super fast responds XD

Ouch… :wink: I haven’t played with 4.1 yet, so I’m probably not much help here, but out of interest: Do you have this right when you load the project or only with (one or more) map(s)?

About the newer version message ? it says so only about the map.

Im not 100% sure what youre trying to accomplish, but if youre trying to take an asset from one project and put it into another you have to right click on the asset in the content browser and chose “Migrate”

Then browse to the content folder of the correct project, and it will import all the associated files of that asset into the folder of a different project of your chosing. This is especially helpful when wanting to use Epic’s assets from their demos in your own projects.

2 Likes

Thanks, i will try that out .

How about if I downloaded some assets from the internet? It’s a few files, all ending in *.uasset
I have no idea what engine version they were made with. I cannot “migrate” them. Dragging from windows explorer to the folder to the content browser results in “Failed to import ###. Unknown uasset extension”. This message surprised me quite a bit. Importing them through “import” cannot be done, because apparently uasset files are not importable (they don’t show up when I browse to them).

I can imagine that importing such files in the project may require some kind of conversion, since they may not have been created with the same engine version, but there surely must be a way?

Anyone else with a similar problem?

P.S.
The assets I am trying to import are these:
From this post: https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?58179-Infinite-ocean-shader-download

2 Likes

When you download an asset from the Marketplace it is not part of a project so how can you Migrate it. This is really the biggest flaw in UE4, if you copy a uasset into a project Content folder it will be broken, what is needed is an “import” option for uassets.

You can close your project and manually copy your uasset files to content folder, when you reopen your project it’ll be working normally, it’s a workaround but works.

2 Likes

But when you do it this way, you will have to keep in mind that you might lose some references -> it’s better when you do it with the migration tool :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But you can’t Migrate the item INTO your project. Just OUT of it. I think we’re trying to figure out how to get an external UASSET file (not in any projects) INTO our project.

1 Like

It’s the same, you can migrate it into a projat and out of it (e.g so that you have it on the desktop) :wink:
Then just drag and drop it into the content folder and it should show up in the content browser (as long as you use the same version) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Am I the only one who realised this thread was already dead?

yes this thread was dead, but i also have this issue with this content: https://www.unrealengine/marketplace/force-field-system

one blueprint and one bpinterface won’t load into version 4.8. they were saved in 4.9 and then upped. placing them into my content folders won’t work, because unreal 4.8 cannot read them. dragging them from the folders into the enginge content browser gives me the above descrived error “…Unknown uasset extension…”

does anyone have an idea how to solve this? current plan is to download 4.9 to get it open, then copy all contents of the blueprints into a new blueprint in 4.8…but my download takes ages…sigh :wink:

it is really strange that it is no basic Feature of Unreal to be able to import ist own files from it’s own different versions.

1 Like

omg i was legit stuck on the same thing in my game for a week, now i fixed it by importing a later uasset <3 ty everyone (mostly the creator of the thread so people could answer)

I know this is an old thread but I think this is worth mentioned.
When you open an uasset file with a text editor you can see the engine somewhere inside all that mess.

For 4.8 it looks something like:
++depot+UE4-Releases+4.7

Then you can make a new project using that version, dragging the content folder in there, and then you got it working.

4.11.2 trying to follow the tutorial:
Landscape Quickstart page 4

1. migrated .uasset files can not be seen by the content browser.
  2. creating new folders from content browser does shows newly created folders inside the content browser, but in windows explorer (so those actually were not created)
  3. as previous poster suggested, those uasset files are “++UE4+Release-4.11” so it is not the case

also i noticed, that content browser supports importing a lot of different filetypes of any kind, but not the .uassets, so i can not follow the Quickstart tutorial properly (in this case can not at all)

Update:
migrating files entirely through Content browser (without manual folder management through windows explorer) does help here

a second potential workaround is to “export” those assets (they are extracted away from .uassets in this case)