MakeHuman Antima try 1

well guys, I made a beautiful main char…One of 4…And I imported her great from Make Human…Her Skeleton is great too, BUT her eyes didnt do right, And I added the Idle Anima from Hero TTP and this is what I got…

SOoooo…Does that mean I have to make a new one from Scratch? :frowning:

I think you’ll have to make a new animation. I think you can only recycle animations on characters that are using the same skeleton. Were you using the default rig? And which version of Make Human are you using? Sometimes Make Human will act up with a rig once it’s exported.

1.0.1, I just noticed I have WAY more bones and face bones…Where do I go to Animat? Blender or ue4?

Make Human has a simplified game rig that might be better to use when you are exporting your characters. Very complex rigs are great for making film animations, but in a real-time game you want to limit the number of bones as much as possible.

You will need to animate them using the animations tools in Blender (or Maya), and import them into UE4. If you use the same skeleton for all of your character–like Make Human’s gaming rig–then you should be able to transfer the animations between them without a problem.

That weird result you are getting is because the skeletons don’t match. Animations re-targeting between skeletons is on the UE4 road map so it may be available in one of the upcoming versions of the engine.

Thank you CaptainScience

Actually FWIW I use the more complex MakeHuman skeleton (since I wanted fully articulated finger control) and it doesn’t really have a negative performance impact as far as I can tell.

The MHX rig, no matter how you set it up, only has a pretty limited number of bones with vertices skinned to them (the DEF bones, which define the actual mesh binding). Every bone has multiple copies, but most of them aren’t actually doing anything in terms of what’s being rendered on-screen or the movement of vertices.

Take your right hand main bone; DEF-hand_r is what actually has vertices on it. Hand_r only exists to constrain DEF-hand_r to its position, and it in turn is controlled by either hand_ik_r or hand_fk_r depending on whether or not the rig in Blender is currently in IK or FK mode for that arm.

This can make things a bit complicated in terms of real-time bone control in Unreal (using in-game IK solvers, for instance, you must solve the hand_r chain, then use Copy Bone to snap the DEF bones to the new position of the control bones, since the DEF bones aren’t connected directly in the hierarchy) but in terms of just playing back animations, the hit is fairly negligible. If you’re designing a player-controlled character or important NPC, and you want that additional level of control, going with the more complex rig isn’t the performance hog you might expect.

Thank you Rhythm :slight_smile: