Help with getting Mixamo characters into Unreal

Hello I am going to receive some tutorial lessons using the unreal engine with Mixamo characters. However at the moment I am having some trouble getting Mixamo files into unreal with animation. I switched to Mixamo from iClone since it didn’t seem like many people used it here. There our many options for exporting animation files even several with FBX format. For example, there is a unity option that exports the file and even includes a script and a character controller automatically. There is no such option for unreal. So I am having trouble getting the characters into unreal with animation and I don’t know exactly the order and the proper options to use. I was wondering if anyone can share how they have been using this. This would save me a lot of time so that I can do preparation ahead of time. Basically also the videos seem outdated regarding this matter. So if possible if anybody knows an updated video tutorial that directly talks about exactly how to export your character from Mixamo and animating it in 3rd person mode, or they do not cover enough do get you on your feet. I would be extremely grateful, or any other hints or small pieces of advice would also be of extreme help. The pass for Mixamo cost me a lot of money and I would really be upset if I could not properly get characters set up in the unreal engine. Thanks so much and I appreciate your guys time and responses on this forum. Thanks and I hope to hear from some of you exports :slight_smile:

to be honest i just did this with few problems, i bought Fuse a while back on a Steam sale so i thought i’d give it another look when i saw your post.

1. create your character in Fuse
  2. upload to mixamo and auto-rig
  3. add your anims and download

ok the problems i mentioned are

1. the auto-rig doesn’t have a “root” bone at 0,0,0 this could cause problems in game
  2. the locomotion anim set (now free) is well not much use, the anims import fine but are ca:- 600 frames long must be a problem from the mixamo end as they show this length in the autodesk fbx veiwer
  3. having some material problems , parts flickering not too sure why atm

feel free to ask more, i’m not to sure where your stuck

There are so many questions at each step of the process, such as which features to import, etc I was kind of wondering if a step by step tutorial existed because it seems like just one wrong checked or unchecked feature can ruin the whole thing. Does such a tutorial exist or is it just a matter of making mistakes over and over until I get the proper import. I am sorry I seem dumb in the process, its just I’m used to everything already being setup in Unity, so I never really understood what happened behind the scenes…sigh…If you can send a link or refer me to a video that would be great. Thanks again!

ok i’ll see if i can do you a video tomorrow, i’ll just run through the workflow as i’m limited on how many auto-rigs i can do

I had some trouble importing the free locomotion pack .
but finally, I donwloaded it as a zip file and then i imported the animations with the option “animation time”.
The problem with these animations (i dont know with the other Mixamo animations) as GeoDav says, is not having a root bone associated.
the animation of this free pack arent eligible as “in place” , so you will end up dealing with Anim Montages (which is an agony for a non artist programmer like me) and you cant use blends (comming in next updates i think).

Thanks so much Geodav! You will be doing me a favor, and I think also a service for the whole community for sure. Please keep me updated!

I hope Geodav can explain where this issue shows itself in the process. I must admit though, I am quite SURPRISED that there is not a step by step detailed tutorial for getting characters from Mixamo and setting them up for control in Unreal given the fact that Unreal is one of the standard accepted engines in Indie development(and also non-Indie), and also that Mixamo is also widely used. Because if you go to the export part in Mixamo, it has a special fbx that it exports for Unity, WITH a script and a CONTROLLER!!! I think Unreal deserves this same treatment!!

You will have trouble with the following parts when you go from Mixamo Fuse to Unreal:
You will need to MANUALLY (they said they will fix this in an August update) remove eyelashes into a separate material. You need to make this a translucent material. Hair will also not render correctly, but it will look mostly fine if you use translucent ONE SIDED materials.

I got most of this working, but as Geodav pointed out - autorigging is quite expensive by them and has some weird issues. However, automatic weights option in Blender doesn’t appear to work for me for some reason with these meshes (it appears that they aren’t exactly mirrored). If anyone has managed to skin the character in blender themselves that was made in mixamo fuse I would like to see some tutorials if possible. (Even if it would be manually painting weights I guess).

This is a bit upsetting for me, because I was really going to rely on Mixamo for a project. If there is not going to be a straightforward solution I guess I can use Unity in the time being :frowning:

Guys,
The folks at Mixamo are very aware of the flickering materials problems and are looking into some models I sent them about two weeks ago to determine just exactly what is causing the problem. I know that this started after Fuse 1.1 and Unreal Engine 4.2.1 hit the streets because that’s when it started happening to me. If you have any problems, talk to Chantel Bensen or Georgeson at Mixamo. They have bent over backwards to help me with my characters. I know that they are busy working on solving these problems so hopefully there will be a solution shortly. Also, they where both at the Unreal developer meet in SF about a week ago.

One of the reasons to purchase the FUSE program on steam is that you get two free rigs a week for fuse characters if I remember the deal correctly.

uploading now, a run thought of what i found when using Fuse/Mixamo , shows some of the issues with the anims, atm not a lot i can do about fixing them

Guys,
I sent an email to Chantel Benson at Mixamo about this thread and the issues and here is her response

Bruce,

Thanks for alerting us to the thread! We are actually putting together a workflow for this this week! It should be up on Thursday and good news is that the most recent version of Fuse, to be released next week, has fixed some of the issues - eyelashes being one of them.

Root motion is still dealt with differently but we’ll address that in the workflow.

Thanks!
Chantel

That’s great news! It must be what Dana mentioned in the last stream about an animation related surprise for the next stream. :slight_smile:

Hey GEO!
I watched your video with great interest today. One thing I noticed on the Blender Website is that for the 2.72 release that is scheduled to hit the streets end of August that they are working on adding .FBX import into blender for models with armatures and possibly animations! So we might be able to bring these things into blender in the near future and work on them and then re-export them out to .FBX format soon. FYI.

Thanks for the heads-up GeoDav, looking into the fbx length, I was able to repro it and I do think it’s on our side, created by the motion pack. There are no extra key frames so it’s fairly benign, but still a pain in the butt. Individual motions appear to have the correct length. I’ll forward it on to our devs \m/ :cool: \m/

Hello, I’m not an artist by any means but I picked up Fuse as well on that summer sale and have had some amusing experiences in blender, In the end with a few tools I can use parts of free mo-cap data out there for some basic animations on the Mixamo rigs. This is a rough way to get it to work:

First until the fbx importer is working better I use the one from this article and it gets the mesh and skeleton into blender.

I export the mesh/skeleton unmodified to fbx with the built in exporter, not the one above. EDIT: (I stopped using the directions from that page after it got the file imported, ignore the rest of it about exporting)
Then, I import that into UE4 and allow it to create a skeleton asset.

For the bvh mo-cap I find some free ones that sound like what i’m trying to represent and use this useful tool to adjust them:
http://www.bvhacker.com/

Then finally I use blendertools from makehuman to load and retarget the bvh file to the Mixamo rig:
http://www.makehuman.org/content/download.html
I fumble around in blender a little to adjust the animation then export to fbx selecting only the armature.(I also don’t export the “Default Take”, unsure what it is useful for but it adds extra clutter to my fbx)
Unreal Engine doesn’t seem to detect it’s an animation on import. But If i select animation and tell it to use the skeleton Unreal Engine created on the import of the result of the first step.
And that seems to work ok.

Other issues:
I had flickering materials on some of them but seemed to get resolved with importing tangents and normals. Also selected that on blender export as well, not sure if that made a difference.
I had to import the Mixamo FBX file of my character straight to get the right textures and then reassign them to my blender imported model because it was missing normal maps.
Still have the eyelash oddity but that could be fixed in blender if I knew how haha.

That is my experience so far, I’m really looking forward to the improved workflow.

now thats the type of support i like :slight_smile: , looks like i’ll be using it some more in the near future then, it really is very easy to use so i’m looking forward to see-ing an improved workflow for the none artists.

yes Demo i’ve tried the recent nightly build of blender the fbx import is getting there but still has some issues like meshes being rotated or it doesn’t import anything, tried the herottp mesh which i exported from ue4 but blender doesn’t like it atm

edit:- just tested blender to see if would import the fuse fbx :frowning: atm no so we’ll have to wait and see if they can fix the import

The clip length appears to be an issue with the FBX SDK extending the Take length past the actual key frames. A lot of big stuff happening this week and next, but it’s on the radar.

Another potential solution for working in Blender is using the Collada download until Blender has more robust FBX support. If you download our free Loco Pack and change the download format to Collada (.dae zipped), it will download a zip of individual animation files. Just tried it in 2.69 and also FBX viewer, and it looks good.

never thought of that since oi haven’t use collada for years, i’ll give it a go, thanks for the tip