Tutorial - RTS Style Camera Movement with Edge Scrolling

I’ve finally finished another tutorial for an RTS Style Camera Movement with Edge Scrolling. Check it out.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. C&C’s welcome. :slight_smile:

Tutorial - RTS Style Camera Movement with Edge Scrolling

Thanks mate. Do you have anymore RTS related stuff tutorials?

I haven’t no. Is there anything in particular your wanting to know how to do? If I know how to do it (or figure it out in a few days) I might create a tutorial for it.

I’m stuck at these atm:

1. Creating clickable UI for an RTS game. With move attack and other commands.
  2. Creating a selection box
  3. Creating actual units that can be selected and controlled at once.

Thanks Pattym ! It helped me a lot.

+1 Valkon :wink: I will be happy to have theses informations too.

I’d really love to help you guys on this since i already did that, but my project wont open due to this bug. :frowning:

Although i can share the selection box macro if you want. It lets you draw the rectangle on to the HUD. See these screenshots:

For those that might be interest this is a teaser video for my next tutorial I’m working on. It builds on to this tutorial I did. :slight_smile:

I am stuck on step 3.
I can’t wire the camera to the Start pin of the Find Look at Rotation node. I can’t figure out what the node is between the two.

The node between the two is Get - Relative location. This is pulled from the camera node, which you ‘get’ from the Camera you setup in the components tab.

That worked, thank you very much.

I’m having trouble getting the edge scrolling to work. I triple checked the whole thing and still can’t figure it out. Any suggestions as to why the edge scrolling won’t work? Keyboard into works just fine and I can see the overlay.

I had this problem too.
For me the problem was in the ‘GetHitboxType’ macro, in the ‘Parse Into Array’ node. The delimiter wasn’t splitting up the string. I deleted the coma and retyped it and it worked fine. I suspect I had a space in front or after the coma, and since there isn’t a space in the original string it wasn’t getting split up.

Ok, I got it to work. I did what you suggested however it didn’t work the first time. After deleting it and creating the Parse into Array node couple of time it worked. Weird bug. Thanks.

The Cam immediately makes a 180degree rotation on the z axis

had to set cam z angle to 180 to fix it