(updated) Minecraft Cathedral in Unreal Engine 4

I didnt make the cathedral just imported it, tweaked the lighting and did the camera movements. Due to not figuring out how to do UV maps for a large model like that. not optimal lighting but works well enough for a video (also not pratical for “real time” due to the polygon count of the import 2+ million) but thankfully with video rendering in the engine not a problem :-).

Just out of curiosity how long did the import take?

Is this a single mesh or modular? Also do you plan to make a Minecraft type game with this or?

It’s cool and all, but what is the point of it? All you’ve done is imported your Minecraft model and put a camera on it and some lights. It’s cool and all but I don’t really see the point in it. Especially with that many polygons. You could do the same thing but with Unreal’s block brushes.

EDIT: I also read on Reddit that you didn’t make the Cathedral yourself. I really don’t see the point in this: http://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/22bx5p/minecraft_cathedral_in_ue4/

just to make a video :-p its a single mesh and to be honest it is not pratical framerate wise do it being like 2 million polygons actually didnt take that long to import. but if the minecraft build is larger it can take longer yeah it may be pointless but thats the fun of Unreal Engine 4. playing around with it :slight_smile:

hm, really? I a programmer and I created my second model in blender which is 70k polygons and it took around 40 min to import. It got some weird artifacts in it. Probably the blender fbx file is messed up then.

Interesting, I imported a 350k environment the other day to test size, and it didn’t take longer than 5-10 minutes.

this model itself has around 2.5 million triangles. It may be due to various factors to maybe how many textures/materials you have per model and such too? i do not know. i know i had another model a cathedral that had around 4 million triangles and it took 3 hours to import so i guess your results may vary. the fbx importer seems to be a tad sketchy at the moment too. sometimes files exported by the same program using the same settings one will crash the editor and the other wont :-p.

due to the model polygon size and lighting it wasnt partical to use in real time so i rendered it to video (note i have some motion issues personally so thats why the video is at 20 frames per second…as you can output the render to whatever frame you want.)

I really will say that is nice because for people like me who are using the engine to make some more cinimatic videos its nice that to do so isnt dependent on your set up, with the detail in that scene.,got low framerates when the settings were on high but one tip is to change your settings to low (i think in one of the options at the top panel) to set things up. then switch to high to see how it looks you can set the quality back to low and when you render out the video it will render to high settings without a problem really great for people who just want to make cool videos using the engine and do not care about “real time” :-p.

2.5 million triangles? That is almost 5 Million polys. Holy $#@!

Looks like you had fun working on this. Good work

I’d really like to hear the experiences and how much of this kind of conversion can be simply automated.

The point of it some are asking?

Half the kids on lower-elementary school are playing/building all kinds of things in Minecraft. Some part of that building is already being used/involved in modding for elementary school and various other activities. Building things in Minecraft can be considered trivial compared to creating a meshed model.

The whole point of this kind of thing is that ANYONE can make ANY MODEL in Minecraft, yet it is possible to auto-convert it to make it become part of virtual reality. Again, try to combine full-detail meshes in world, compared how trivial it is to combine Minecraft building into Minecraft world.

Denmark (the country) just recently pulled off auto-creating Minecraft world for their whole country. Converting that to UE-engine edible world (and then running real models with real physics on that) is one example of making real-virtual-reality majically simply, because there is existing massive (1TB total) model already out and free to use.

When Minecraft modding is combined with UE4 based, blueprint-driven modular worlds - there is big opportunity to explode the amount of people capable of participating in such virtual-reality modding…

My personal involvement is already with those elementary school kids, trying to see how we can modularize Minecraft creation. This fits right to that concept :slight_smile: