nvidia FLEX

looks amazing, want: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXxjleVS6pE#t=27 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF1_Lo3Z3G4

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

We have a great working relationship with NVIDIA and are constantly talking about which features make sense to integrate into the Engine. As you can see, we already have APEX destruction and clothing integrated. I look forward to more cool stuff in the future :smiley:

Wow!!!

Note that currently this only works on PCs with NVIDIA GPUs (though this may change) and requires a powerful graphics card. I’m genuinely curious about how important a feature like this would be to our developers, given other feedback we have seen about ensuring the engine runs well on a wide range of hardware.

This is really exciting, even if it comes in the form of a plugin (for pc only type compatibility). I know it will take a desktop grade dedicated graphics to run this. But it certainly would be very beneficial to have, because it can really have a new genre of games.

I would like this to run on a wide range of hardware not just Nvidia hardware :slight_smile:

When I think Unified I think AMD and Nvidia

Looking at it now, I’m only interested in HBAO and Shadows integration. That would have been nice effects to have honestly (;.

Unfortunately, NVIDIA hasn’t adopted an “open-standards” policy, even to the point where certain developments like G-sync are at the brink of worthlessness. I love NVIDIA’s technologies and fully support Unreal Engine 4’s integration with NVIDIA apex and physx, but, in reality AMD is highly competitive in its GPU line and still holds somewhere around 40% of the GPU market, and Intel’s integrated GPUs also hold some market share, as they get more powerful, they will be gaining even more of that market. Unreal Engine is, at it’s most basic point, a developer “enablement” tool, meaning it allows customers like us to create games and make the decisions. So, while I do support integration with FLEX 100% I would also like to see some integration with AMD’s products, namely Mantle. Though this may seem like a big virtual middle finger to NVIDIA, in reality, if NVIDIA is offended over such a thing, than the partnership is highly one-sided, as that would show that NVIDIA is only interested in their own market share over the success of their direct partners. Epic should not take any direct stances to support either side, they should enable their users to develop the best possible products for ALL of their prospective players.

Can I suggest a Poll/Wishlist as to what new tech we would love to see incorporated ? This will make it easy for the developers to see what is important for the community all in one central place (forum/website/trello ? )

The reason that FLEX is not on our roadmap (Trello) is that we don’t yet know if we can integrate it in a cross-platform way. We don’t want to put things on there that we can’t do :slight_smile:

Hopefully NVIDIA will provide the DirectCompute version so that it makes sense to implement in UE4.

I don’t know about others, but as a small time indie developer, these types of features are immensely important to me. They allow me to take my games and assets closer to a AAA level without the large amounts of art expense usually associated with doing that. Also, implementing stuff like cloth/destructibles is doable by non-artists, which is great (I’m a programmer myself, so not having to involve an artist to get great cloth effects = saved money and time).

For instance, APEX clothing and destruction are two core reasons why I love UE4 - having those features out of the box allows smaller devs to compete and add features that players expect from games these days… having a physics cloak, rather than a rigidly animated one, instantly puts your cool factor way up, and that’s very valuable for small devs. I had planned to integrate APEX myself (having experience implementing PhysX into engines before), but that is a ton of work in any source-available engine without those features in mind, and any time spent on it was time I wouldn’t be building gameplay. So having those in UE4 was a big win for me.

I feel that FleX would be well in line with that goal, while also allowing for a LOT of new gameplay that you just couldn’t handle in a decent way before. It might not be practical to use widespread in the near future, but in 1-2 years it could be very approachable for players on mid-range hardware, which means it would be really nice to have soon, so that developers can start targeting it now.

Just my two cents.

PS: Maybe you guys at Epic could hint-hint at NVIDIA about the DirectCompute (edit: or an open compute lib?) version?

Edit: Just realized there would need to be some non-DirectX version or something too, in order to support *nix and Mac. D’oh.

all that things looks very good, but hear that its better.

I like the idea someone wrote above. Making it a plugin. Optional.
Because it could really help out the quality of PC gaming, but if you wanted to make a mobile game, you could just turn it off.
If that is possible, of course.

Quick question, is there anything legally within Nvidia’s SDK that can stop us from porting APEX/Flex/CUDA/Physx into UE4? I mean they make the source files available to do certain things, wouldn’t it be just a case of making a plugin and adapting the code for UE4?

Sorry might sound like a real noob question.

I disagree with implementing unilateral-hardware stuff, if it won’t run on AMD and NVIDIA, shouldn’t be implemented.

Man, That is just to cool. Can’t wait to play around with all that fun stuff.

Flex is definitely going to open the doors for a lot of new experiences! That’ll be great if NVidia works on getting this multi-platform support. They are working on a lot of great things lately even though AMD’s GPU’s are found on the XB1 and PS4, hopefully they make the investment to get their tech implemented on those platforms. It will pay off big time for not only them but the gamers as well. Thanks for posting this video!

It’s cool tech, but I would rather focus on HBAO+ and dynamic GI (Epic must be getting tired of hearing about that one by now), as well as Niagra (and generally better particle effects support) and improvements to translucent shading. With those things, I would be set with rendering features for the most part, and then I would be more than happy to get some cool physics stuff in there.

I develop physics-based serious games(running on high-end PCs) for educational workshops, so the multi-physics features of Flex is absolutely critical to the design of my game-play(particularly with regards to realistic depiction of a wide range of physics phenomena for educational purposes).
So I’m still on the fence about using UE for my projects…waiting to see if Flex will eventually be integrated fully into UE.
Perhaps UE could consider the possibility of having Flex as some optional plug-in(even if it comes with additional costs) for CUDA-capable hardware?