Stereoscopic Red/Blue Glasses

Hi guys!

I know that today we have much better technologies in UE4 (such Oculus), but the company that I work was making a little advergame to use with the old R/C 3D glasses.
So I came to show the process of what we manage to do for the case that someones out there decide to make to.
We think in two techniques, but this have the best results, but lower quality… So we have to think a little more hehehe.

Here’s the first result…

And the process…

We create 2 SceneCapture2DCamera to simulate the eyes, and 2 Textures RenderToTarget2D…

And within a 3D Camera we put a Post Process Material in the Blendables Slot that separate the channels of the two render textures and append then together in the final render.

The performance seam to be the same, but the quality was lower than the normal render of the camera.
We have to try to increase the quality, size of the render targets or whatever solution you guys can manage to help us… eheheh

Thanks

1 Like

I’m interested in Anaglyph 3D as optional display feature in addition to Oculus support. 3D graphics cards provide drivers for it. A procedural stereoscopic technique would provide another option in the arsenal.

I’ve previously experimented with dynamic stereoscopic techniques. Most revolved around the idea of using two cameras to represent Left/Right Eye, alternating between the two frame renders, updating the 58 FPS (24 FPS film grade). In my opinion, Depth Focus Adjustment plays a role in natural vision, and is better suited for ‘moving pictures’ vs a static image. I simulated auto Depth Focus by calculating the distance between object center of viewing frustum and cameras using a line of sight algo, adjusting the Left Right Cameras spacing and yaw angle. Finally, I adjusted RGB Channels of each Left/Right Frame display for tint balance between Red/Cyan, Magenta/Green, Red/Green combination. I personally feel Anaglyph 3D is harder on the eyes, then other techniques using Full Color.

1 Like

Fantastic, I was thinking about this yesterday :smiley:

Great work, I’ll try to replicate this later today :slight_smile:

Hi TechLord, thanks for the explanations.
I´m use this kind of glasses on a scene for about 2 minutes and my eyes almost goes blind hehehe It’s really very hard for the eyes to handle this eheheh But that’s the way will gonna be… ehehe

I also try a different approach with just one camera, and two amounts of offsets of the render screen… Them I lerp those offsets by a Scene Depth… But the result was to fake… I’ll try to do getting the objects distance from the camera into account.
Thanks a lot!

Thanks, remember to share with us :wink:

Looking Good! I’m currently writing up the design doc for my game concept. I’ve plan to add multiple stereoscopic features. I will be keeping eyes (pun) on this thread. Keep up the great work!

Hello again!

I just like to show and share to you the final version of this saga eheheh

I uploaded a little project (with Ue4 Blueprint Rolling template) with my “system” to create a decent stereoscopic effects in UE4 with little performance issues and some customizations and possible even more in future.

If anyone needs, feel free to use.

The link for download the project is in the video description.

Thanks

Thank you very, very much Maico G.

Are any new tutorials available for anaglyph 3d

Love It!