Terrain painting - How to?

Hi all,

See I have created my terrain in world machine and extracted my base color map and masks.

http://www.xum.ir/images/2014/07/08/Untitledcb2df.jpg

1. How do I apply my color map on the whole terrain?
  2. How do I use the extracted masks to paint textures on the whole terrain?

Using image from UDK I was able to make the splat map working:

However, mine tiles across the landscape

http://www.xum.ir/images/2014/07/08/Untitledb3ac6.jpg

Any help is appreciated,
Alireza.

Maybe check the texture coord UV index on the TexCoord nodes, It’s been awhile since I messed with Landscape UV coords, but I think the I had was that each landscape component had it’s own UV space instead of the whole landscape itself.
Also check LandscapeLayerCoords Node.

Thanks for the reply. My achievement you see up there is with a tiling of 0.1 in the TexCoord node. It will be a very small number and a lot of time to find what value would apply it on the whole landscape. I believe it’s not the proper way. Any other tips you got for me?

Thanks a lot.

We meet again! I’m known as CamDev on the CE forums, I’ve seen a lot of previous CryEngine users on here since I switched in April.

Welcome fine sir, I look forward to seeing more amazing scenes from you on here in the future! Loved your work in CE3 as well! :slight_smile:

As for your problem, sorry can’t help you out on , I’m having similar issues though, so I will be watching thread!

Ok, I tried it out and looks like Coordinate Index 5 is the mapping coordinate for the whole landscape. Index 3 is for each component, Index 1 and 2 seem to be X and Y projected coordinates, and Index 0 (the Default) is what your using now.
You can change the Coord Index in the TexCoord node, first parameter.

The ‘proper’ way would be to use a LandscapeLayerCoords node and set the mapping scale equal to your landscapes size, e.g. 505, 1009, 2017.

@, Thanks mate, trying UE4 until CE is heavily upgraded.
@MadMikeDe, For me with index 5 tiles just became bigger, but still tiled. But thanks for the time.
@, It works! Many thanks.

As for applying the color map on the whole landscape I’m up to do something on my own, but if I fail I’ll bump the thread up.

Best regards,
Alireza.

Hello again, I’ve been doing some material editing and I’ve come to the point of confusion.
The color map for terrain holds the color information of course. Detail textures have their own color information too.
Connecting the color map to SubSurface doesn’t really do much good.
Multiplying it with detail textures still adds a lot of the color information is detail texture and ruins the color map.
Desaturating the detail textures before multiplying them with the color map looks a tiny bit better but what about the grassy parts in a soil detail texture? then they are desaturated too.

What’s the best approach?

Thanks.

Not sure what the best blend method would be, but have you tried using a Lerp with an Alpha of .5? That should get you a simple average of both texture maps.

It becomes a little blurry. I’m after DICE quality ^^

Use the Blend_Overlay function and desaturate the texture you want to blend with the color map first.

Thanks a lot! I’m done with both those 2 Qs.

Now lets say, I want an underlying texture for my detail texture, as we go close to the ground detail texture appears and the underlying texture fades out. I always used in CRYENGINE but being new to UE4, anybody can help?

Thanks a ton!

You can fade out detail textures based on pixel depth,

I don’t see ‘FadeDistance’ and ‘Falloff’ nodes in my list.

These are simple scalars promoted to a parameter. Use a ‘ScalarParameter’ node or a ‘Constant’.

God bless you.
Will bump it up if a new question appeared.

Many thanks.

Hello again.

I’ve moved forward until I faced new question. When terrain is textured using the splat map there are certain areas which still need to be painted by hand. I noticed using a landscape blend layer node wouldn’t work. What do you suggest me to do in order to be able to paint another layer manually over the terrain regardless of the textures that are already applied using splat map?

Edit:

I just found out DICE did the exact same thing with blending. Thanks for that. :slight_smile:

Why don’t you import the “splat maps” as raw files into the terrain UI instead? It’s a waste of 2D sheets to have them inside of the material since you’ll be very limited already with the amount of textures you can use before you reach the limit in the shader.

Having them inside of the material must have been outdated years ago, I set up my material back in UDK without that at least two years ago and it’s all in the official documentation. Just read : .unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/Materials/index.html

I read those links someday ago but when importing the opacity was too low, I just noticed click on Re-import for several times solves the. Therefore the problem I mentioned in the previous post is solved too.
It’s a lot fun trying to catch up with BF3 type of map design. Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

Edit: What you are suggesting would appear to have kind of setup when importing raw files in terrain UI.

.unrealengine.com/latest/images/Engine/Landscape/Materials/Landscape_MaterialBlend.jpg

Then how do you blend it with terrain color map?

I had the same problem when importing maps a few months ago, no idea what’s causing it and since I won’t have to do it many times I just did it until they weren’t transparent and didn’t investigate further.

Yes that’s how you would set it up, but you don’t need to have height for them, that’s only if you want to let them blend between each other using a mask rather than just fade. For example you could have a height map that masks out the ground between rocks so that when blending between the rock layer, and lets say sand you will get sand between the rocks.

If you want to blend in a color map I would suggest using the Blend_Overlay function and use that with every layer you want to blend with the color map.