Vive controllers don't track/doesn't move the meshes

I will start by apologizing, I’m a complete noob at this stuff. I will try my best to describe my issue.

I’m working on a UE 4.16 project for my company and trying to integrate the Vive controllers. I’ve followed several tutorials but I always end up with the same results.

The tutorial I found had me go through the following:

1. Enable SteamVR Support in plugins
  2. Create a gamemode blueprint “VRGameMode” and create a pawn blueprint “VRPawn”
  3. Set Default Pawn Class of the game mode to VRPawn
  4. Open VRPawn and add a camera and 2 motion controllers to each and a static mesh to each controller.

1. Set the static meshes to use my controller mesh (I’m using the basic Vive controller mesh from the steam folder)
  2. Set one controller to the right controller because the default is left.
  3. Open map file and in global settings set Game Mode Override to VRGameMode
  4. Run game

Every time I run the game, my controller meshes show up at my feet and won’t follow the Vive controllers. I know this isn’t a hardware issue because if I hit the Steam Home button the controllers appear and work just fine. I don’t know what I’m missing.

Thanks for the help!!

I found one issue, I didn’t have the controllers nested under the Camera in VRPawn and the meshes are no longer showing on the ground.
Also, I’ve found that there are square/blurry shadows of my controllers on the ground that is tracking the controllers. As I move the controllers the shadows move but I still can’t see the actual controllers.
I went to my controller model and disabled shadows, the shadows disappear so it is loading that model to some degree.

Well as soon as I asked for help…I figured it out. Well got it working, not sure what I did to fix it. I did figure out though that you don’t want the controllers nested in the camera. They should be nested right under root.
I have to go though this process a couple more times. Hopefully I can figure out exactly what I did wrong and will share.