[Tutorial] Getting Started With ARKit in Unreal Engine 4.17

Since there isn’t a lot (any?) documentation on how to use ARKit in UE 4.17 at the time of this post, I’ve created a video tutorial to serve as a quick start guide. I hope the community finds it useful!

Thx, you are the best, I subscribe now to your channel.
You only use a simple box. What if you want to use multiple mesh that appears all together on the plane?

Sorry for my English!

Thanks so much, Krxtopher! Not sure which step we were missing but this works perfectly. You’re the best!

I did get one error when installing the IPA. It fails at 30% with Error 0xE8000067. Turns out there is a missing iOS 11 case in UEDeployIOS.cs around line 285. The file is in Engine>Source>Programs>UnrealBuildTool>IOS. After copy-pasting the iOS 10 section and making it 11, you rebuild UnrealBuildTool.csproj and everything worked fine after that. We’re using Windows with a remote Mac.

Thanks for the jumpstart!

Extremely useful. Thanks so much for this.

Just a quick note - it’s important to realize that the precompiled version of the engine is being used. You cannot currently compile the engine with XCode 9 Beta 5. This will change in a future Xcode update.

Thanks so much for this - finally I was able to see the ARKit work with Unreal.

It works quite well with my Windows 10, Mac Mini Remote build setup (XCode 9 Beta 5, iOS 11 beta 6) - but I have a huge problem where the picture seems to be stretched on my iPad Pro.
This results in quite some movement with the placed object in space when walking around it.

I tried to put an aspect ratio constraint on the camera, but that didn’t fix it. (thought the camera might be trimmed to the iPhone ones)
Any ideas?

Thanks for the tutorial, really need more of those concering ARKit development. Gotta quick question, how should I approach ARKit development with only an iPhone 6S as a testing device and Windows PC. I can assume that getting a Mac would make things easier programming wise, however I need to get around with PC for the time being.

From what I was able to gather is that I can develop and test with my PC, however it’d be only Blueprint projects and no builds whatsoever ? Is there anything else I’d need to take into consideration ?

Thank you so much for this tutorial. It works perfectly for me with iOS 11 beta 6 and Xcode Beta 5. Don’t try to test it with an older version of Xcode Beta, it crashes

Are you using UE 4.17.1? Because this actually doesn’t work for me right now. My hit tests always return the same value when they succeed, and when I try to get scene anchors I get an empty array.

yes i use the 4.17.1 mac version.

What device are you using it with? I am testing on an iPad 2017. Otherwise everything seems to be the same, and I’ve followed the tutorial carefully several times.

Also under Project Settings -> Plugins -> AppleARKit

I have the defaults, although I’ve tried with others.
Plane Detection - None
Alignment - Gravity

I know that ARKit actually does work for me because I’ve used it with Swift and SceneKit to place items on to real-world planes, similar to what we are doing in this tutorial. My problem is somehow specific to UE4.

Thanks so much for the video. It’s sooo simple…
We need more videos like this!!!

Patrick, I have the same issue with the picture get stretched on my iPad Pro. Have you worked around the issue?
Cheers

No sorry, no luck yet. The problem is still there.

Perhaps the stretching has something to do with this GitHub commit? https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/42ffe8c364b0bfd8b5834cc0bd5fda24ca111236

As far I can tell this has no effect to set r.MobileContentScaleFactor=1.5

I also tried now the ARKitDemo on an iPhone 6S and it works there perfectly. I feel it has something to do with the screen ratio or something similar, but I couldn’t figure out how to fix this.

Upping my question to the OP.

If you look at the camera material from the original ARKit github sample, it did UV scaling to fix the aspect ratio and some color correction. That is why it is not simple to recreate. It is a big shader. Hopefully epic will include it in updates if not available now.

I have a question which goes beyond the tutorial.
If i want to do some picking on objects inserted in the scene , how to do this ? i tested it with the help of picking tutorials but i have the feeling that in input , it is not the classical “Get Player Controller” component which has to be the target of a “Get Hit result under Finger” component. But something near the GetArKitCamera like in this tutorial.
Someone have any idea ?

Thanks.

thanks a lot , but there is no solution for get light from camera , this is a feature from apple to use lights from camera on 3d models .
i think they called this feature “Light Estimation”

HI, I am new to Unreal Engine. Is there any possibility to Develop AR app for android mobile that have less Configuration, like Samsung S4, Motorola G4 plus… bcos Where AR kit and AR core supports only some device that have High Configuration, I don’t want even marker less I just want to develop Image target AR. plss share any tutorial page or any idea for my solution.

Thanks in advance