Mapping an Unreal scape to a table in ARkit

Good afternoon,

Time to come clean, but bare with me! I am totally new to the world of app development but I have limited experience with several languages through pen testing (my day to day trade). I have an idea in which I wish to develop into a proof of concept in the coming months. Hopefully that PoC, coupled with the idea will enable me to recruit a handful of dedicated developers to push the project forward.

So, enough of the scene setting… Swift, ARkit, Unreal integration. I have been trying for a few hours to find some resource that can put me on the right path, but am unsure where to start. Ultimately I want to create a scene (a relatively low poly forest, village etc), have it roll out on a table in front of the user and have a simple pattern of life play out on the table. Coupled with a player that has a limited amount of movement. coupled with a few, triggered events.

Where do I start? I have no idea how much interplay there is between swift and unreal, so I don’t want to start down a path that I needn’t have walked. I understand that ARkit is new on the scene, but im struggling to find meaningful information that can get me started. Once im started, ill be on a roll… but the starting is proving troublesome.

I appreactiate your time greatly.

Thank you,

Pete

Anyone?

Ill pay for your time in banter and chicken

If your new to game dev. I would steer you away from vr and ar. Learn starting simply with a mobile 3d third person or side scroller. Understand shader complexities, draw calls, texture scales, cameras, angles, fps etc. a vr or ar game as a start will exhaust you to the point of being overwhelmed, and giving up like many people that come here, and leave in 3 months. PC game easiest. Mobile has limitations, ar, and vr have even more. A grey area is no place to start learning.

Make it beer and falafel, and I’m in!

Okay seriously, your shortest path is probably to start learning ue4 blueprint. Don’t worry about the specifics of ios/arkit right now- once you’ve got a handle on how to do things in UE4 with blueprint, you should be able to figure out how to use the arkit functionality available through blueprint. Right now it seems a bit hit and miss, so take some time to learn bp in general while the arkit stuff gets better sorted.

Also, you don’t need to learn swift to make UE4 games for ios, and that includes using arkit. You can make a game 100% in blueprint, and from what you’ve said I would be surprised if you ran into anything in your game that couldn’t be accomplished with blueprint.

I appreciate that, but right now I am just trying to build a PoC that will bring a small “tech demo like” solution to the table. That will hopefully enable me to kickstart some money to bring in some game developers. My website has just gone live, its a bit patchy and needs some more work. But take a look, you will see what I mean:

Beer and a falafel? You come cheap! I appreciate the response.

UE4 blueprint, I will take a look. Thanks. As I stated above, I just need to build a quick and dirty PoC tech demo initially. At the minute I am not in the business of learning to be a polished game dev, im a pen tester and info sec engineer with a passion for all things dorky. But, once the PoC is out of the way and the project starts to roll, I would love to get involved with the development proper. My intention is to KickStart cash to pull in Game Dev’s who can build this from the ground up. This is a very new area for me, so I am flying by the seat of my pants. But… I’ve gotta start somewhere… right?

This is what you’re looking for direction on, right? So the best place to start is by making some of this functionality, which can be done via blueprint. Placing it on a real-world table via ARKit is actually really easy (via blueprint).

Check out this video:

[quote=“dkloving, post:7, topic:98597”]

This is what you’re looking for direction on, right? So the best place to start is by making some of this functionality, which can be done via blueprint. Placing it on a real-world table via ARKit is actually really easy (via blueprint).

Check out this video:]

Absolutely, thanks. Placing it shouldnt be too hard, rolling a map out and giving it some"theatre" might be! Im getting there. Ive been working on it quite hard and am slowly getting to grips with the engine. The blueprint is fantastic as far as scrpting engines go.