Server Tick Rate Affects Character Mesh Physics

Hi,

I have a need for a pretty high server tick rate. Physics actors work fine but the Skeletal Mesh and/or animation for characters gets wonky.

I want my characters to be able to kick around the ammo/weapon pickups. That works fine in the editor and on the server when it is running with a normal tick rate.

When I increase the server tick rate, however, the character kicks the pickups with much more force than it should. It seems like the server tick rate isn’t being accounted for somewhere.

I put up a question on AnswerHub in case I’m just doing something wrong. That can be found here.

There’s no way I can do what I am trying to do without a high tick rate on the server, so without this problem solved, I’m kind of hosed. If I have to edit the source to fix it myself, that’s not great but I’ll take it. So if anyone can at least point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

I’ve been seeing this happen to. Are you doing AddImpulse ? I’ve seen this run into problems when framerate change, since the initial impulse seems to take into account the current framerate, and increase the impulse to account for the delta of that frame. But if the framerate then speeds up after the impulse, it gets “overapplied”, and results in a much stronger impulse than intended.

I don’t know if you’re using blueprints, but the physics nodes like Add Force are all framerate dependent.

Thanks for the info guys. I’ll look into it.