C++ Plugin - Database connectivity

Hi,

so i am working for fun on a database plugin. Right now i am at a point where i am either stopping development (already had much fun in making it work) or pretty it up a bit and put it on the marketplace.

Features that are already working:

• connection through ODBC (so, any RDBMS is supported, be it MariaDB, Postgre, MSSQL, Oracle XE, etc)
  • works on windows and linux (through unixODBC)
  • Queries can retrieve into Result-Structs or into UObjects (where columnName=propertyName) incl. support for Vector, etc
  • Inserts and updates are done through one call, the engine decides which it is (based on an id-field)
  • inserts and updates can be done through plain sql statements or through directly persisting an UObject (again where propertyName=columnName)
  • a bit more secure since you dont have username/password in your Unreal project directly
  • pricing probably around 40$ with the option to have additional paid enterprise support (general documentation and basic support is covered by the normal marketplace license)
  • of course full documentation and tutorials on how to set up odbc connections on windows and linux. Good database design is a different topic and is not covered by documentation (many books on amazon on this topic ;))

IF there is actually interest into that, which features would you like to see additionally?

Please note beforehand that this is not made for usage on clients, but only on the server-side; you would want to have your database server isolated network-wise, and the only hosts that should be allowed to open ODBC connections would be the servers that have the UE server running.

If there’s not interest into that, i will probably either look into integrating various NoSQL servers into UE4 (MongoDB, Elasticsearch, etc) or doing a complete login/registration/user profile integration into UE4 (thinking of SSL connectivity, multiple authentication mechanisms, REST API for getting user information to your existing systems if you have any, of course with a fully secured web-server-backend incl. docker images).

Cheers,