Computer specs for game designing?

Hi people! I’m looking into a good pc for developing games, 3D modeling and art. So my pc gotta be able to run zbrush, ue4, photoshop ect. My current is getting too old n i have trouble running even my 2d painting programs sometimes so i think it’s time for a new one. And this time I’d like to invest in something good.My question is: what specs should my computer have? I have been looking around some threads but all i could find were some outdated ones.

But based on what i could find, here’s what I’ve been looking at:
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x16GB 2400 Mhz
PSU: FSP Hydro Gold 650W
SSD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3,5" 7200 RPM
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3,5" 7200 RPM
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IX Hero
Graphic card: MSI GTX 1080 AERO 8G OC

Most of this is the highest available stuff from the company building it for me, so is there anything i could go down on, is it fine or is there something i should upgrade? The current build is around 2.533 USD rn and im still a student so this is A LOT for me, so if there’s something i could go down on, i wouldn’t mind. rn i’m mostly wondering about the motherboard and psu since they’re both very expensive and probably the things i know the least about,

My current one got:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460S
RAM: 8GB
the rest idk

I guess i could upgrade some parts of it, but since my old pc is from 2014 and was not bought as a gaming pc, i thought it might be better to invest in a new abnd good one, instead of having to replace my pc in 2 years probably.

If I were you I would try to upgrade the old computer. Apart from the GPU desktop computers haven’t advanced that much since 2014.

Do you got unused memory slots?
How powerful is your PSU and how many 6 and/or 8 pin connectors does it have?
Do you got an SSD? Size?

His CPU is a low clocked 4-core Haswell part. He can reduce his build times a lot by getting a stronger CPU.

If you’re based in the US, I managed to assemble the following build which is quite more powerful (specially for build times) for considerably less than you quoted:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($609.84 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($59.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: MSI - X299 SLI PLUS ATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($212.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($234.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2176.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-14 15:24 EDT-0400

This article gives a great baseline from the performance gains to be achieved by going with X299 instead of Z270. Take a good look at compile and lightmass baking times:

+1 for 8-core intel i7-7820X. (im pretty satysfied with my 8 core ryzen when using build in UE, it using 7 CPUs at max load)
i7-7700K is for gamers mostly.

YuLeven recommendations are good. if i have to change something, its ssd -> to 1 TB and ram 2x 16 gb (instead of 4x 8 gb)

Extra SSD would be truly awesome if OP can afford it. +1 to it.

As for the memory, I recommended 4 sticks because the i7 7820X supports quad-channel memory access. I’m not entirely sure how much that would affect Unreal build times, but since the price difference is not that big from 2x 16GB and that would still leave another 4 empty banks on the MB for future upgrading, I thought it would be a good thing to have.

As crazy as it sounds in my opinion 2tb is not enough storage over the longhaul. I had some what the same configuration and with in a year I was running out of free space for my projects and art supplies. Keeping in mind UE4 does not have a workable CMS solution so you can not cherry pick the right asset for the job from the asset pool and has to be visible to the project so they tend to bloat as to what you need. If UE4 ever gets a solid CMS different story.

I would also consider adding a NAS to the mix. Personal cloud servers are not all that expensive and I run a local SVN back up. Get the right device you could host the entire team project off of it…Until you ISP catches you. :wink:

Seems like if you have the space one tends to fill it :smiley: