Real Life sound attenuation

Greetings folks,
I am trying to simulate flying a drone with FPV goggles on, but the problem I have is that when I posses the controller (Drone) I hear the sound as if I were inside the drone. I would like simulate real-life attenuation as though, if the drone flies away from you the sound gets fainter and vice versa.

Anyhow, if someone could let this me know how this would be accomplished or give me an example, I would be greatly appreciative!

Thanks!

Can you simply control the volume by multiplication (or rather division) with a parameter that is based on the distance between drone and controller?
Or create a curve that goes from 1 to zero, where 1 is associated to “0 distance” and zero with “100 m distance”, for instance. Plug in the distance between drone and controller to find the value that corresponds to the respective distance. With the curve’s falloff you can control how much “quieter” (does that word exist???) the drone becomes when it flies away.

I haven’t had much time to play around with it lately so to answer your question, I don’t know…yet. Hopefully I’ll have some time over the weekend to fiddle with it more - I’ll let you know what I find out. Thanks!