Material build with "dirt" (support need):

Hello everyone, i wish you are all having a great summer!

so i need help on creating on UE4 this specific material (created on VRAY 3ds Max), which will be applied on a wooden part of a furniture.

Attached i will send the full vray material scene and the rendered look so you can understand the materials behavior better , also the two maps included.

Some help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Vray dirt is basically a render-time ambient occlusion pass, that can be used as part of a material or material blend.

It would be theoretically possible to construct this in realtime, but it wouldn’t really be ‘realtime’, as performance would be appalling.

You’re going to need to bake the effect to a texture - either by actually baking your Vray material to the UVs, by baking out an AO map which you use to blend two materials in Unreal, or by reconstructing this material in ‘substance’.

Personally, I’d recommend the last one.

If what Scribbler said is true and The Dirt function is just using the AO pass to place the dirt, you can get that by using the node “Scene Texture” and setting it´s output to Ambient occlusion. You could then multiply the inverted AO with your Grunge Map and use the result to blend between the base Material of your Furniture and a dirt Material. That would run with out problems in Real Time

Grunge Map is definitely the way to go, you can also weight it so dirt collects faster at the top or bottom of the mesh, depending on if you want to emulate dust or other kinds of dirt. You can use a parameter or two to control the amount of dirt and the color, and adjust it in realtime.

Guys, i should speak out that i’m not as professional as understanding this only with words… so if anyone is willing to spend some of their precious time and try to build it simple in UE4 and share a screenshot to me pleaseeee :slight_smile:

You should look into the Render to Texture tool in 3ds Max, the issue will be that your material in 3ds Max won’t translate as it is to UE4 since it uses many unsupported features. But you can bake the results to a texture map that you can apply in UE4.

Make sure you create a new UV channel which will be where the result will be baked to, and since you’re using Vray, make sure to use the Vray labeled texture map options (Vraydiffusemap vs. diffusemap)

Indeed this one is the best solution ive heard till now, ive put it to work it really works :slight_smile: thanks mate :smiley: cheers!