Looking For Small Team to Co-Develop RPG

Hello, my name is Dalton Klein. I work in Finance & Accounting but my hobby is gaming and game development. Age 23.

I have been using UE4 for a couple years now, slowly learning the ropes one forum, tutorial, downloadable project at a time.
I, like most developers, have big ambitions of a great game but cannot do it alone.

What the game will look like:
I am looking to create an RPG (Medieval fantasy setting) with a nostalgic experience but modern graphics. To get a brief idea, this game will use components similar to Rust, Runescape, Oblivion, WOW.
The leveling (EXP) system will be similar to RuneScape or Oblivion. The map I started looks incredible. The current idea I have going (I am open to input) is to have large zones of PVE and large zones of PVE & PVP. For example villages will be PVE only where players can be friendly with one another, trade, chat, plan, etc. Once entering wilderness, skills can be developed and combat can be trained. I want to include non-combat skills but finishing the combat system and skills has higher priority.

What I have done so far:
I have assembled some components of the game, like working menu’s, inventory, equipment & interaction system. AI’s also have good progress. Health system is mostly set up. Basically where Im at you can run around, pick up items, loot bodies, equip and unequip items, attack animation sequences are there but no damage is delt as of now. There are passive and hostile AI’s and the hostile ones can patrol and follow, are somewhat intelligent and have memory.

What I need help developing:

• The combat system first and foremost. I would like to have a dynamic system with blocking and dodging, combo attacks, and different weapons using different animations and damage settings for different niche strategies.
  • Creating classes for combat is the next priority as I only have melee where I want to have ranged and magic as well. That means there needs to be many items created including equipment, weapons, food, materials.
  • Higher your combat levels= higher damage multiplier better armour equipped = incoming damage reduced equipping better armour requires higher skills
  • Character creation & customization system upon first time play.
  • I also want to implement item storage IE ‘banking’ system as well as a trading system between NPC to players (Shops) or player to player.
  • Non-Combat skills like fishing, logging, mining
  • Lastly making everything be able to be hosted on a server and saved properly.

If you want to get involved:

• First of all I am very open to other ideas on how to mechanics should work or what the game should contain.
  • I can front all costs related to the game like buying software licenses, content packs, etc
  • I live near Minneapolis so if by chance you live close I would love to collab. I am also willing to work with people remotely.
  • My aim is to split royalties among developers, artists, other contributors in a fashion that is fair, even, and we work out together.
    First the game has to be playable enough to release to alpha.
    -If this type of thing interests you let me know
    Text me: (715) 441- 1332
    Email me: klein853@d.umn.edu

Hi Kultured,

Like You, I’ve been learning to use UE4 for a couple of years, getting familiar with UnrealEditor Suite and Blueprints. My goal: develop a Concept Action RPG Dungeon Crawler (D$G) that’s been haunting me for a decade. Although D$G is much smaller in scope with a different theme/skin, your Medieval fantasy RPG has many subsystems in common. The differences are in development priority. My top priorities are Multiplayer and Customization systems development which are complex and impact the game’s design from the start. These systems are crucial to the game, and can also significantly simplify collaboration between Game Dev Members.

**** OPTIONAL READING ******************************************************************

I appreciate ambitious game concepts, but, what is often overlooked is the amount of content required. Ambitious games require more content creators. As a code-centric solo developer, I see this as a massive challenge (especially with nearly no 3D Modeling skills). So with UE4, I’ve set out on a mission to devise a solution to this problem, first and foremost.

There is a solution to this problem…

The 1st part of solution came to me while tinkering with the Spore Creature Creator: Assemble large number of entity variations for characters, weapons, vehicles, props from smaller parts… from inside the game. Well, I’m not 3D Modeler. The 2nd part of the solution came to me while browsing the Sporepedia. There are thousands of users creating and sharing new content. The 3rd part of the solution came to me while seeking means to collaborate D$G development in-game. The HeroEngine supported collaborative level building, why not UnrealEngine?

My solution: PROTOS, an In-game Multi-user Modular Entity Construction System, leveraging UnrealEngine’s Networking, Component-based Actors, and Graphics rendering.

With PROTOS, Game Developers can pre-fabricate levels and entities from a catalog of part and pass them to Dungeon Masters to create dungeons, quest, etc while in the game. They can construct levels/entities solo or distribute the workload by constructing them together. The are similar tools like Scene Fusion, but PROTOS goes one step further with collaborative Entity construction. Additionally, PROTOS provides a base framework to derive other in-game construction editors like the Character Creator, Weapon Crafter, Vehicle Tuner, Fort Builder, etc saving development time.

PROTOS Multiplayer foundation will be reused in the Game Play itself, conserving development time. Simply add a Game mode with some Weapons, Bot AI, Power ups and you have a multiplayer game in which you and the team can build and destroy :). Reverse the construction process for utter destruction, dismemberment, mayhem. Imagine the whole team working in the game world in real-time, creating content and testing game mechanics. Perhaps its a new genre in its own right: Tool Games.

Does this sound good to you? If yes, lets discuss it further on Discord or we can continue the convo here.

add me on discord: deklein#5961

Hello,
I am a Blueprints Programmer and AI Programmer (NPCs) w/ 3 years of experience. Check out my portfolio:
Sent you a friend request on Discord: I am

Can i chyme in for a second? I love RPG’s and I like your concept idea. It would be like if you mixed Fallout up with Elder Scrolls. Now I’m going to discourage you from pursuing this game idea, and I will tell you why. The second you start to impose anything where you have players on a network interacting with each other, you need servers. And a lot of them. Possible to attain. not hard at all. You also need moderators to keep those servers uncrowded and making sure they run smoothly. The scope of your project is too big. Im sure you have put in some effort and work into what you have now, but this project will not see the light of day if you don’t 1)downsize 2)be more practical 3)Sketch a design plan.

Ive made this mistake before. Attempting to make an overly ambitious game. I spent two years working with a group of guys in between school and work and we produced ****. But i did learn the ins and outs of UE4, and I am releasing my first project by end of year. My suggestion is to not scrap your idea, but make it more linear. Find a way to get from point a to point b FIRST. Put heavy focus on how the game plays. Ensure that you have a solid system set up. Make sure you are properly and progressively switching through game states. Lock down and drill in a solid level building system. Most of what the AI does in the game will determine how the player plays it and enjoys it. Make it a challenge but not too much of a challenge. dont take the fun out of it. And for the biggest piece of advice, when developing anything rpg, be small, so small it doesn’t almost even exist. I would put all the good stuff in engine, tighten up loose ends, make sure my UI is attractive and fits the tone of the game. Put that all together and just get a solid demo going. Get that solid demo out there, use that to recruit more skilled folks, or even use it to crowd fund the project.
You downsize your project to something feasible you will attract more help, and actually finish a project.Cant tell you how many projects on these forums don’t even scratch the dev surface.

Oh, and take your number off of here, can’t trust any private info in open space. Any questions feel free to ask. Im all up for helping someone chase their dreams. :smiley: