Annoying compile issue in 4.17 preview 3

I have Visual Studio 2017 version 15.2 (26430.16) installed and 4.17 preview 3 refuses to compile my project after one or two times. Below is the error message.

1>------ Build started: Project: HelixOrigin, Configuration: DebugGame_Editor x64 ------
1>Performing full C++ include scan (building a new target)
1>EXEC : error : System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
1>Parameter name: source
1>   at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
1>   at UnrealBuildTool.ExternalExecution.ExecuteHeaderToolIfNecessary(BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, UEBuildTarget Target, CppCompileEnvironment GlobalCompileEnvironment, List`1 UObjectModules, FileReference ModuleInfoFileName, ECompilationResult& UHTResult)
1>   at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.RunUBT(BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, String] Arguments, FileReference ProjectFile)
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(44,5): error MSB3075: The command ""D:\Epic Games\UE_4.17\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" HelixOriginEditor Win64 DebugGame "E:\Unreal Projects\HelixOrigin\HelixOrigin.uproject" -waitmutex" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.
1>Done building project "HelixOrigin.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.693

Workaround so far is to switch solution configuration from Development Editor to DebugGame Editor. Then it compiles but if I try to compile again, it fails with the above message for both solution configurations. So final solution is to close VS completely and start again.

I’m seeing the same thing - 4.17 preview 3 projects will only compile a few times before getting this error. After that, I have to clean the solution in order to build again.

Just had the same thing start happening here. Seems to tie into the Editor module of my project, but nothing has changed there.

Regenerating the solution also works, so I don’t need to do a full build then, at least.

Should be last observation on this. It does not impact hot reload compilation for me.

Still happening with 4.17 release version.

Yep, they managed to break UBT in a release build. Impressive.

Did you submit a bug report for this?

Getting the exact same issue here, anyone found a fix yet?

Best workaround I’ve found is to touch (just force a change to file write time by adding+deleting a character then saving) a module .Build.cs file to force makefile regeneration. It won’t result in unnecessary C++ compilation.

Yup. Here it is: 4.17 preview 3 refuses to compile C++ project after 1 or 2 times - Pipeline & Plugins - Epic Developer Community Forums

I’m getting this as well, but slightly different error.

I can’t do any work at the moment, and I haven’t been able to compile the project in any configuration.

I’ve tried modifying the Build.cs to generate a new makefile, I’m still getting the same error:

1>------ Build started: Project: ECGame, Configuration: DebugGame_Editor x64 ------
1>  Performing full C++ include scan (building a new target)
1>  Creating makefile for ECGameEditor (no existing makefile)
1>EXEC : error : System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
1>     at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
1>     at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
1>     at UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildTarget.Build(BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, CPPHeaders Headers, List`1 OutputItems, List`1 UObjectModules, ActionGraph ActionGraph)
1>     at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.RunUBT(BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, String] Arguments, FileReference ProjectFile)
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(41,5): error MSB3075: The command "C:\UE4_Builds\UE4_Eclipse\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat ECGameEditor Win64 DebugGame "E:\P4\JBaxter_Work\Eclipse\Eclipse_Steam\ECGame\ECGame.uproject" -waitmutex" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I have been able to resolve my issue, the problem was caused by dependency changes in 4.17:

Sorry guys. I’m not sure how this one slipped through the cracks.

It was a fairly late change we made to fix an issue with UHT not rebuilding script plugins from installed builds, and the properties it uses are nulled out when building from a UBT makefile.

The fix is on GitHub in commit 5b2a514bea74d4cb3bf0508ccecf49bba1752522. We’ll try to get a QFE up before the end of the day.

Thanks Ben. Could you also just quickly have a look into the issue I posted above yours? I’m not sure if it’s related, but improved logging there would have made it much easier to fix!

QFEs can be downloaded here:

Windows:
http://cdn.unrealengine.com/qfe/QFE-4.17-UBT-CL-3578350-PF-3578389-Job-7937603.exe

Mac:
http://cdn.unrealengine.com/qfe/QFE-4.17-UBT-CL-3578350-PF-3578389-Job-7937603.zip

Absolutely, will do. We should never be crashing without an explicit error explaining the problem.

I’ve submitted a fix for this to a development stream, but it’s not visible on GitHub yet. We’ll include it in the 4.17.2 hotfix (we’ve already stopped taking changes for the 4.17.1 hotfix to try and get the other issue on this thread out of the door). The fix is to insert a check that the Instance.Modules list doesn’t already contain a module in the UEBuildTarget.AddPlugin function here (in Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/Configuration/UEBuildTarget.cs):

// Create modules for this plugin
	UEBuildBinaryType BinaryType = ShouldCompileMonolithic() ? UEBuildBinaryType.StaticLibrary : UEBuildBinaryType.DynamicLinkLibrary;
	if (Info.Descriptor.Modules != null)
	{
		foreach (ModuleDescriptor ModuleInfo in Info.Descriptor.Modules)
		{
			if (ModuleInfo.IsCompiledInConfiguration(Platform, TargetType, Rules.bBuildDeveloperTools, Rules.bBuildEditor, Rules.bBuildRequiresCookedData))
			{
				UEBuildModule Module = FindOrCreateModuleByName(ModuleInfo.Name, PluginReferenceChain);
// BEGIN PATCH
				if(!Instance.Modules.Contains(Module))
				{
// END PATCH
					if (!Module.RulesFile.IsUnderDirectory(Info.Directory))
					{
						throw new BuildException("Plugin '{0}' (referenced via {1}) does not contain the '{2}' module, but lists it in '{3}'.", Info.Name, ReferenceChain, ModuleInfo.Name, Info.File);
					}
					Instance.bDescriptorNeededAtRuntime = true;
					Instance.Modules.Add(Module);
// BEGIN PATCH
				}
// END PATCH
			}
		}
	}

Thank you so much for fixing our issues Ben! :D. I really appreciate the quick fixes :).

I’m still getting this error after installing the QFE, at least when editing project plugin code. I have to generate project files every time i compile.