MyProjectCompletelyCorruptBecasuseOf4.16.3Update

1.July 31, I woke up and found that last night editing my project can not be opened, UnrealEngine show this error message:
SerializationError:ActionNeeded.From the last successful opening and closing of the project, I did not make any changes to the system and programs.

2.On August 2, after I had a few days of emergency backup and hard disk maintenance work, I try the repair file and found that all my backup files have collapsed.
a.My June backup project can be opened on July 31 with 4.16.2, without prompting any error messages. However, on August 2, I reopen it with 4.16.3, my most critical files-all My GameCharacter, GameInstance, GameController folder error and can not open anymore.
b.My latest project still can not be opened with any version(4.16,4.17), and the version I can open in 4.14.3 was a few months ago.

3.I have developed this project for nearly a year, and I don’t know any kind of programming language, I will only use the blueprint for editing, and did not use the VS or other programs, there is no way to solve this problem by myself. I have Very desperate now, hope EpicGames provide a solution!

Can you open another project? I.e. can you create a new blank project?

If no: you should try to reinstall unreal Engine (It’s a problem from Unreal)

If yes: Unreal automatically backs up your data in ProjectFolder/Saved/Backup, try to find the files that may be corrupt.

You may also try to rebuild your Project. Right Click on your Project and click “Generate Project Files”.

Thanks for the reply, Unreal Engine can open other projects, only show Error Message on the project I am working on.
this just one problem, now my backup project show error on all the files are OK on 4.16.2 was devastated me, because I can’t recover any thing now.

Forgot to say that I have tried to reinstall 4.16.3 the result is the same.
I would like to make it clear that I have given up on my recent editorial project, but try to use the file I backup a month ago to repair.
The backup document I was open normally in 4.16.2 July 31, there is no error situation.
However the same file, I opened with 4.16.3 now, all important documents become error(my gameInstance, gameController, gamePawn), and disappear in the editor inside Unreal.
I only use blueprint and there is no way I can edit these files!

I want to say that this project I have personally working on for almost a year, and it not the first time project crashed, but it the first time all the backup files have corrupted.
I am going to officially release the pre version of My VRGame in August, but now I can not open all of my project files!

Did you try to remove common UE4 cache also? Files you have in project folder it’s only small part of the whole cache
Open C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine - remove all the gigabytes stored there. Maybe some dragons live there.

You’re hard drive could be damaged too.
I’d simply try to open project on another machine.

Also I’d strongly recommend you to use any version control system in future. It saves you from disasters like this :slight_smile:

Did you try to remove common UE4 cache also? Files you have in project folder it’s only small part of the whole cache
Open C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine - remove all the gigabytes stored there. Maybe some dragons live there.

You’re hard drive could be damaged too.
I’d simply try to open project on another machine.

Also I’d strongly recommend you to use any version control system in future. It saves you from disasters like this :slight_smile:

Thanks, I will try. But I think this problem it not that easy, may no fix by replace historical files.

I check my crash log and find out a terrible thing, All my normal file before in crash log says “LogLinker:Warning: Can’t find file “and “LoadErrors:Error: Error /xxx(file name) : Can’t find file for asset.”
I guess all my files are suddenly became wrong?

.””

And Epic Games never give me any support. It has been a few days, I just got an auto reply.

In addition, except opening some built-in VR plug-in(SteamController, OpenVRExpansionPlugin, VRExpansionPlugin), I did not install any other plug-ins, and all has been working properly before.

Did you check that those animation files within the AnimStarterPack directory are still there on disk? If they somehow got deleted, you may just need to copy them over from another project that you install the pack to.

Failing that, if you don’t mind sharing your project, if you want to upload it and send me a link via PM, I can quickly run it through the debugger and maybe find out where the problem is. It’s highly unlikely that all your files are corrupted.

Thank you for your reply. I can guarantee that all the files are in place, this files from my last edit are without any changes.
This project file contains a large number of unorganized resources, most of them are spare, the project files a little bit big(10G).
I am not very willing to share the file before release, but I have no choice in this case. I will be looking after for a second-hand server when I waking up in the morning, see if I can use.
Thank you again.

Don’t take this as me being mean. I was in your shoes not too long ago. It’s frustrating, and all you want to do is blame someone else for your own actions. I was there. It’s a terrible lesson to learn, but almost everyone learns it at some point.

This to me would suggest a disk error. Since you opened it and saved it the previous night, everything was fine, you leave, you comeback, and it’s messed up.

So what kind of maintenance work did you do? Disk maintenance?

Source control exists for this exact reason. You only realize you need sc after you lose a project or a huge portion of a project to an error, be it a disk problem, os problem or actually the engine messing something up.

To say it’s purely 4.16.3’s fault is a little ridiculous, it could have been any number of reasons. I mean you are the one that failed to back up your project. You even said yourself you didn’t back it up for a few months. You were just asking for your project to die and it did.

Any self respecting developer uses sc, hobbyist or professional. Why? They understand that their time is worth far more than either paying for a server or the time and space it takes backing it up locally off dev machine.
I mean why would anyone waste time developing a project and have the audacity not to back it up unless they were fine with it dying?

When my hard-drive containing organs and arms died and i lost over a years worth of work, was it epic’s fault, the engines fault, the powers fault? Hell no, it’s my own damned fault for thinking i didn’t need source control anymore. Take some damned responsibility for your actions. I mean I did and so should you…

Based on the description that was given I too think it may actually be a hardware fault.

I would try copying the entire project (and everything else that might be important) from your drive i:\ to some other physical drive. Then try to run checking & recovery software (best from the drives manufacturer) on drive i:
(I took the drive letters from your logs, adjust where needed)

The next thing I would try is to create a new project and move the blueprints in, one by one and fixup the redirectors to make it stop barking about it :slight_smile:

Best of luck.

Edit: for good measure: run complete & up-to-date anti-virus scan, specifically for those encryption trojans that made the rounds lately. just saying.

I was having a very similar issue as well with 4.16.3 everything worked in 4.16.2 and I have similar errors. I have it up and running now thanks to doing what

**kjustynski **

Suggested and I nuked the cache

“Did you try to remove common UE4 cache also? Files you have in project folder it’s only small part of the whole cache
Open C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine - remove all the gigabytes stored there. Maybe some dragons live there.”

I still have a few errors after being able to open, but they should be easily enough to fix.

I am very sorry that my English expression was too weak, maybe you do not understand what I mean. Let me re-describe my situation:

1. My recent edits project show ErrorMessage:SerializationError: ActionNeeded. My search on the internet are tell me only can find UnrealEngine customer search for solution.
  2. My June project file has 2 backups: first in my other hard disk partition, the second in my mobile hard disk. I confirmed that the June copy can be normally open in 4.16.2, then I started the hard Disk Defrag and backup work(I am sorry that all of our country’s IT industry giants provide software that is a virus, such as my usual using one:BaiduCloud, it makes the Windows’s clipboard no response for copy large files. So the whole maintain and backup process was very painful).
  3. After the maintain, I saw UnrealEngine already have 4.16.3 new upgrade. I just want to have a try, see if it can open the “SerializationError: ActionNeeded” project, so I update it.
    But this proved to be a very wrong decision, because not only the wrong project can not be opened, even the June project which I prove can open in 4.16.2 without any error message, are crashed. The two backup project form different disk are have the same issue, I dont think it a disk problem.
  4. If I say somthing make people feel that I’m blaming UnrealEngine, I am very sorry. But I would like to emphasize that: a. the development of VR are very hard, I encountered countless times of crashs, and inexplicable can solve and can not solve problem, and I have never complained publicly; b. UnrealEngine in this case of crash, Did Not Provide Pure Blueprint user for any emergency solution.
  5. If not talking about whether my project can be saved or not now, I am very sincere advice UnrealEngine can provide Blueprint users a way to solve this kind of problem.
  6. I am very grateful that UnrealEngine invented the blueprint, give such a person like me have the opportunity to develop a game.
  7. What I mean “Disk maintenance”, is because BaiduCloud made Windows10 can no copy and paste large files, so I think may be have some disk problem. I just waste a lot time find out where the problem is, and finally just simply delete the BaiduCloud and problem solved, all the disk tests looks fine.

The left one is the project file a few months ago, you can see the original files in this folder. The right one is after updated 4.16.3, the only left files in the UnrealEngineEditor, all the others are suddenly become an error file, and disappeared in the UnrealEngineEditor. As a blueprint user, I did no see anything in Editor, what can I do? (the error log are on the top attachment)

I just do not want to publish all the details of my project in the forum, so I did not paste too many things like a crash log or other details, but I have had it sent to the support mailbox.

I am sorry I may be a bit agitated, maybe I just met a situation never encountered before, and can not be resolved. Anyway, I was looking for help here.

First try to remove the content (blueprints etc), you were working on last, then if this doesn’t let you start the editor, make a new project and copy one folder a time to the new project content folder, and see if you can access the contents.

Very good advice, thanks for that! I will immediately try it but must download a 4.16.2 at first, because if 4.16.3 will make my backup file error, then it will also make the process of recovery full of error. Thank you very much.:rolleyes:

i.e. Just want to chat a little bit, another case. In early July, my HTC VIVE suddenly not work too, the two base stations can not be identified. Then I look for help from steam support, I ask why just because of SteamVR updated version, my VR device just not working right now. And then Steam customer constantly made me provide my System Info every each day, a week later none of the problems resolved. I reinstall my system it still not working. Finally, I use the HTC VIVE website package, there is an old version of SteamVR inside, and problem solved. I have been used that version from then, and I have no guts to update SteamVR from Steam now…I guess this kind of thing may leave some kind of psychological shadow:)