Yet another skylight problem

Movable Skylight doesn’t affect specularity beyond certain distance

Repro

1. Create a new level.
  2. Remove directional light.
  3. Add Skylight and set it to Movable.
  4. Create a large plane with 0.18 as basecolor.
  5. Move back and fourth and you’ll see a square following you. Skylight affects specularity only within this square.

Report: Movable Skylight doesn't affect specularity beyond certain distance - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums

I couldn’t reproduce this, you should share the scene.

I did more investigation and the issue seems to be visible only when you put r.LightPropagationVolume = 1 in ConsoleVariables file. Regardless of whether you are actually using LPVs in your level or not. So for the time being we can’t use LPVs without that square following us.

Well then its from LPV not the Skylight at all, the LPV is well know have problems and level of detail cubes, don’t have a good visual range for open worlds etc. But since its not a total final or supported solution idk

It definitely has something to do with Skylight since there’s no G.I if there’s no Directional Light but you still get to see the square as soon as you add a Skylight to your scene.

Here’s another comparison.

In first picture LPV Intensity is 0 and we get proper lighting all across the level.
In second picture LPV intensity is 1 and it looks like specularity is killed off anywhere beyond LPV size.

Edit: I have no idea what r.LPV.Mixing 0 does but it fixes the issue. Thanks for the help :x

The LPV is exactly what it says. A volume.
This Volume ends somewhere of course.
There’s a Fade Range parameter which smoothly interpolates the edge.

Great. Did you even read the thread?

This thread made me a bit confused. You found the problem (LPV) but you then bumped the thread with an image macro asking for replies. Isn’t LPV a dropped feature anyway? I’m pretty sure it’s not production ready in any case.

Anyway, to contribute something in this thread, you can type a console command and a ? after it to get an explanation for the command, this works for most console commands. Here is r.LPV.Mixing?:

HELP for ‘r.LPV.Mixing’:
Reflection environment mixes with indirect shading (Ambient + LPV).
0 is off, 1 is on (default)

Not sure what you mean. I asked for replies and then -edited- my post after finding a solution.

It’s not dropped. Was working okay-ish up until 4.15. In 4.16 they have done some minor changes to it and added few more parameters for it in PPV, but that’s where the square issue happened.

Thanks.
Should be definitely set to 0 to get correct results as in previous engine versions.
No idea why default is set to 1.