Vive or Rift

Can you walk through a space using the Rift in VR? or only using the Vive?

I’m trying to figure out what headset is best for our work and process. We do VIP suites so I would love to walk through them in real-time with VR.

Thanks
Alex

Do you mean Room Scale VR…? Both headsets are capable of doing this, but the Vive can do this across a bigger play area. You may also need to buy a third sensor for the Rift too; the Rift is capable of Room Scale VR with 2 sensors in opposing corners but you’ll get a bit of occlusion when one of the Touch controllers is hidden from both cameras. Having 3 sensors is pretty much flawless though.

And with the Rift currently being half the price of the Vive plus an extra $60 on top for the third sensor getting a Rift over a Vive is a bit of a no-brainer tbh.

Rift is a much better value.

Apart from needing maximum room scale size, one reason to consider the Vive is that it’s larger size makes it easier to wear with glasses.

The Vive is superior hardware, a larger install base, and free from Oculus’ bad business practices. However, it comes with a higher price. As a full-time VR developer, I don’t waste my money on Rifts. If a client wants Rift support, they have to provide one for me.

The Vive is better in some regards but also got aspects where it is weaker than the Rift. In most areas they are very close in capability. Beware of anyone who proclaims one to be clearly superior.

I work with both and I have demo’d both to a good hundred people and I can totaly say that if it is walking around you want then Vive is realy honestly the only option. The three tower thing that Oculus offers is okay but not great. Also, I can only last about 15 minutes tops in the Oculus where as the Vive I could spend hours in. Rift is cheaper yes. I realy honestly dont care to chose a side as I want both to do realy well. But to be totaly honest again, about 90%+ of the people I demo’d both to, chose the Vive.

As best as I can understand the Oculus tracks via a similar system to the X-Box Connect so it sometimes can be a little floaty but not realy noticible unless your in for a long long time. The Vive uses spinning laser towers to triangulate the headsets exact position. They both use some different tricks to buffer the 3d worlds they are in in order to reduce the latency of the head movement through space.

Please dont take my word for it though. I would realy realy beg anyone that asks this question to please go try both out. Check out The Lab - Portal Glados interaction game for the Vive and then check out Robo Recal on the Oculus. Dont so much playt the games as move around and see how it feels. Stay in each of them for at least 20 minutes.

Just thought of one other thing. If oyu are only doing static geometry you could totaly get away with useing a gear VR with the bigger galaxy phone. The new one has suprisingly good quality and as long as you are only moving through a static geometry, baked out scene you can do some pretty impressive stuff. I just got one and was plesantly suprised that its pixel desity makes the image clearer than both the vive and oculus, buuut there is a bit of warping around the edges they still have to compinsate for. Just an idear.

Hmm i think werx60 means that he wants to physically walk around in 6 DOF, you can’t really do that (easily) with a Gear VR…

Right right. Totaly correct. My brain pooped.

Vive, but better to wait for new release later this year or next year. If you can’t wait get the Vive