Advice needed

Hi all,

Not sure how to describe this but I have wall paper on a wall (obviously) and the wall paper material distorts depending on where I am in the room if that makes any sense :slight_smile: I have attached a screen shot. Any advice would be great. Thanks people.

Also not sure, what to respond wish you were more accurate describing, it’s not about “any sense”,it is rather about phrasing it. IF you mean the vertical lines, of the hexagons getting “lost” compared to the diagonals, that could be antialiasing settings. That could happing if your Basic Color texture (diffuse) has very thin vertical white line and is low res. Say the vertical is one pixel wide, the diagonal is made up of overlapping whitish-grayish horizontals (zoom in far enough), because you can’t get a single pixel diagonal at 30deg. So… when you apply that to a wall and at a distance as the pattern becomes smaller, the engine has to interpret that with few pixels and it fades into invisibility, before the diagonals. (Go far away enough and you will not see either)
A couple things you can try:

• use a larger texture map for Base Color, say 512X512 or larger
  • check you build quality, try High or Production
  • any other antialiasing settings (someone help?)

And try both at once

Thank Christos, You pretty much understood what I was typing :slight_smile: Will follow your advice update: texture map is 3800x3800 and build quality is on high.

The issue would be anti-aliasing, since the vertical lines are becoming smaller than a pixel it’s not becoming visible. If you’re going to be using this for animation or a still image render then I wouldn’t worry about it because you can fix that issue by rendering to a higher resolution than your final image and then scaling down and that will improve the anti-aliasing.

Thanks Darthviper. The texture map was 3800x3800 so I reduced that and it seems to have solved the problem.

That texture doesn’t need to be big, you can make it like 128x128 an get the same quality by tiling the texture. To tile something in UE4 you open the material and plug a TextureCoordinate node into the UV input of your texture (on the left side) and then you can adjust the tiling settings in the TextureCoordinate node properties.

The issue you have is that the texture lookup fails to keep the white outline shape when sampling the texture at a distance.

Is your source image a power of 2? If not, it may not have mipmaps being generated.

When rendering textures, the texture streaming system selects which mipmap to use based on distance and other factors.

The mipmaps are created during cooking - properties controlling mipmap usage and generation can be set in the texture settings.

Using a mipmap might actually improve the image lookup, since it is generated ahead of time , and can be created with more expensive process that that retains the shape - eg with Anisotropic Filtering.