jusst wanted to know

hello there im new here im jut curious do yo guys have ever considered making games in which prioritizing the pc and then makin the same game on console but with sub-par graphics fidelity, i mean i wanted to see a game where it is super-optimized for pc, thats what im curious about, what would the game graphics look like if the pc is the priority and just an ok job for console what would it look like just wanted to know

As a matter of fact, we all use the editor on PC, mac or linux…
I’m pretty sure PC, mac or linux are the natural target platform for most of us.
And as we are a lot to use steam as a selling platform, I think that what you wish for is the main dev style.
Plus, it’s more simple and straight forward to dev for PC than for console because of the licensing process.
So, most of indie dev that are working on their first game do it for PC and, if it sells, think about porting it to console (that’s my plan, at least ^^).

But I see what you want to say.
You’re tired to see video games develop for consoles, poorly ported to PC.
But we are not in the AAA with big budget part of the industry here (for a majority of us, I suppose).

The graphic limitation of indie games are most often more related to the size of the teams, time of work than to the platform target.
You’ll see a lot of game here that doesn’t use every last possibility of DirectX, not because the dev target nintendo switch but because the graphical style doesn’t need it.

i see thanks for the reply but in your own opinion, you think consoles held back game dev team to up the ante graphics of a game, i asked it that because i believe that right now we can achieve a photorealism game graphics but end up being held back by the game publishing company or maybe because of the upper management of the game publishing, what you think??, tthanks by the way for replying tho and im sorry foe the constrution of my sentences :D, hope you get the idea of my question, im asian and english is not my primary language sorry again

I never heard something about the game publishing company holding back the developers…
In fact, they are all developing a service to make business with indies dev. XBLE, PSN… They want us to work for them :slight_smile:
They just take their cut on sales and are happy with it.

I didn’t get access to the documentation of nintendo or sony about publishing a game for consoles and I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure there’s no “don’t be to pretty” instruction in them ^^.
There’s certainly a “make a game that works flawlessly” line, beside :slight_smile:
If you make a photorealist game that produce 2 or 3 frame per second, you did wrong…
Those who dev for vive have such constraint : their game must run at 60 FPS to be published on steam. Valve doesn’t want that a poorly optimized game give a bad image to their technology.

Console games are more straightforward to hit performance targets, a lot of times if a game is being made for PC and console they will prioritize the consoles first and then make higher resolution textures and extra graphical options available in the PC version. It’s rare though that a studio will put as much work into optimizing for a PC–just consider how PC systems often have much more power than a console but some games require high PC specs to run as well as they do on console. GTA V is a good example of high optimization on all platforms–it was running on last gen and then improved for PS4/Xbox One and then further improved for PC. That’s a case where they put in the time and money to get it running well on all systems.

As far as Steam goes, they don’t have very high standards, there’s a ton of terrible and horrible performance games on there

Anyone who has released a game on PC knows you have to code for the lowest spec you plan to release on (the higher the spec, the less potential customers).

For example, if you’re going for China you still have to use DX9 because many people in that market don’t have Windows 10.

The argument that Consoles somehow prevent developers from optimizing for PCs is silly. If anything, Consoles give developers a upper-mid quality range they can target without worry of shifting hardware specs by region/income level.

thats my point consoles give midium quality to davelopers i just wish that a daveloper prioritize pc so it would be like ultra-quality from the ground up

my point why i wanted a game dev prioritize pc its because there are pc systems that are beyond what consoles can graphically do, and it is 1000++ i just think those people/pcgamer deserve more than what they have invested in but truth of the matter is that most game dev have to code-in across all platform and it would be like in medium setting, i just wish for at least just one time a game developer prioritize pc so that the graphics can be at ultra setting from the start, and the question has plaguing my mind is that why game dont game dev prioritize pc, then do the same game on console just in medium setting, and why game don’t do that there are people that paid premium on their pc so they deserve premium graphics,

my point why i wanted a game dev prioritize pc its because there are pc systems that are beyond what consoles can graphically do, and it is 1000++ i just think those people/pcgamer deserve more than what they have invested in but truth of the matter is that most game dev have to code-in across all platform and it would be like in medium setting, i just wish for at least just one time a game developer prioritize pc so that the graphics can be at ultra setting from the start, and the question has plaguing my mind is that why game dont game dev prioritize pc, then do the same game on console just in medium setting, and why game don’t do that there are people that paid premium on their pc so they deserve premium graphics