Displacement renders awkward geometry, using offset and tesselation

Hi all,

I am rather new to UE4 and have been trying out materials. I’ve had trouble getting displacement mapping to work, while using offset and tesselation.
I made several attempts with different textures (thinking I was using a texture pattern that maybe doesn’t displace well), watched and recreated several tutorial videos, linked and unlinked numerous nodes again and again for hours.
All my efforts have lead up to the same result, a diagonal displacement geometry on a square pattern (in the example I am uploading) and the same diagonal “waves” with other patterns, freeform like pebbles or more geometric.
In the process where I thought, texture maps might be my problem, I downloaded and started to use Awsome Bump awsome!! indeed. Below is a screenshot of the project map.

MyProject301.png&stc=1

The project I upload with this WeTransfer link (87MB), is based on AwsomeBump’s own basic pattern logo and it looks great mapped on UE4 material, but…same problem with displacement.

I would appreciate someone else looking into it, please.

Ty
Christos

First, you should show the Material you are using.
Unreal provides a feature “Crackfree Displacement”, it should be in the Displacement Options of your Material.
The quality of the Displacement is determined by the tessellation. You should evenly tesselate your Meshes in your 3D Modelling app, because Unreal locks the maximum tessellation depth to 8.

You should make sure that you displace into the direction of the Vertexnormal (Displacement = DisplacementMapVertexNormalDistance)

I uploaded the project and here is a screenshot of it

&stc=1

Strange: in the Youtube tutorials, I watched the author raise the tesselation to 100, I think, in any case much larger than 8. Point taken though, I’m now exporting a floor static mesh, with high poly.
It doesn’t even work in the material preview, it has the weird triangles there too… again that was different in the tutorials on Youtube.

Please take a look at the node spagetti and maybe you can point out what you mean.

Thanks

I re-did the mesh in Blender. Dense, hi polycount, that did it. Thank you. The material was correct from the beginning.
The floor measures 1000X1000cm and has a polycount of 1352 trigs.
With the texture applied at a larger scale (fewer tiles), it now looks as expected:

And for anyone who wants the project and assets, you can download the revised set, using this WeTransfer link (105MB).

Btw, is there a way to “unlock” the tesselation multiplier, so as to achieve the same end without reconstucting a mesh, outside of UE4?

Yes. How do I unlock tessellation limit? - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums

I do not recommend using a higher Tessellation Amount (because the Vertices have to be calculated each frame and multiplying each vertex eight times can get very heavy).
I recommend having an already tessellated Mesh. It is better for LODing aswell.

Thanks.

Yes, I understand, thank you. It’s like the use of the subsurf modifier in Blender, use with moderation…
I did plenty of experiments since the post and experienced fist hand the power and limitations.

LOD is something I have to learn next. (Though I imagine it less useful for Archiviz, than the large worlds of games)