Blueprint/Code driven landscape visibility?

Hi all,

Is it possible to change the visibility map of a landscape chunk in blueprints or c++ code?

What I’m trying to do: build into a blueprint or code snippet (I’m comfortable in either domain) the “erasure” of the underlying landscape where I’m placing the entrance mesh for a cave-spawning object. It’s always the same mesh, so I can define a constant size brush if necessary, or drive it from the collision mesh. The landscape material already has the right settings to support editor-painted holes in the visibility, but my end goal is to avoid using any landscape material painting in favor of plopping down a cave seed mesh and letting it dynamically grow at game launch, creating random cave systems. “Nice-to-have” would let me give that tool to players as a built in simplified map editor mode.

Thoughts? Thank you!

I know this is a very old thread but I am interested in this as well. From searching around this doesn’t seem possible but hoping UE5 introduced something? :crossed_fingers:

Might be possible to drive using RVT or a render target of your choosing and hooking that render target texture up to the visibility in the landscape material. I have no idea if it would work run-time though.

Resurrect a 5 year old topic to add nothing but silliness? Great work folks.

Its been possible to make cave entrances - including removing collision - since ue4.11 at the very least.

Look up tutorials online, there’s bound to be only about a billion.

Extrapolating from how you do it manually, to creating and setting up a render target to drive the actual landscape in real time takes maybe 10 minutes.

Anything that is driven by the material itself can happen in real time.

Anything that’s done by sculpting tools cannot.