2D or 3D platformer

Hi everyone,

I’m part of a small dev team. We’ve made a couple of medium to large 2D projects and a few mobile apps, but this is our first time working with a 3D engine.

We’re making a 2D platformer and we’re wondering if there’s any benefits to creating the game in 3D and locking the camera to 2D, or is it better just to use Paper 2D?

Our artist is happy to work in either 2D or 3D. So we’re really wondering about 2D vs 3D performance, visual depth and richness, lighting options, parallaxing etc.

Thanks for any advice you can offer :slight_smile:

I would say it is mostly a matter of preference. You will of course be able to use more of UE4’s features with 3d graphics, so why not try that style?

Hello and welcome,

I would love to give you a better insight of pros and cons but i am swamped right now,since we are releasing Spartan the next couple of weeks for consoles.
Our game is created with paper2d and is fact the first ever 2d game to be released using unreal on PS4 and XB1!

Feel free to take a look here Spartan. An epic 2d platformer powered by Paper2d! - Game Development - Epic Developer Community Forums
and maybe it will help you decide.

Cheers!

Listen to , he has probably experienced and solved more issues with 2D in UE4 than anyone else on this forum!

Thank you all for the advice, it’s given me plenty to think about.

Nice looking game ! Good luck with the release :slight_smile: