Using Linux to develop games on UE4 is a good choice?

I’m building a PC to create a game using UE4. What I want to know is: Do you think it’s a good idea to use Linux to develop games using UE4? I read a few posts and there was a user saying that the engine doesn’t have all the features for Linux, also I’ll have another guy taking care of design on another computer so my only work is on the engine.

I hope you guys can clarify head, thank you.

I’m tempted to say “yes” just to give the Linux editor more exposure, but to be honest with you: it will be easier to develop on Windows because it is a much more traveled path. However, if you’re are passionate or adventurous enough and apart of developing the game you’re willing to invest some time into improving the engine or even the platform itself, go for it. I’d recommend double boot though.

Yes. The engine is running good on Linux. I also recommend dual boot. It’s a great way to have a backup handy, and work between OS. Your windows drive will show up on your Linux distro, and you can simply copy, and paste your project into windows. In the event something bugs out. My windows 10 version keeps having problems. It constantly starts having some kind of memory issues after 2 hours it fills up all of the ram, and gpu from svchost just creeps up, and up. Then restarts itself. This has been without UE4 running. So I’ve mostly just stuck with Linux. Make sure you have latest gpu drivers installed. I built from code using latest debian version with nvidia GTX running current 4.16.2 We dont have a launcher so any marketplace items I want I buy in windows, and paste folder into Linux.
I had problems with a buggy install because I had an outdated driver installed.

Dual boot will be my choice. I just ordered a few items to help in development, I would also like to receive a few opinions about my specs:

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700
  • SSD 120GB
  • 1TB HDD
  • 16GB RAM (2x8GB DDR4)

I already have a:

• NVIDIA GTX 750 ti (2GB, 128-bit)

System and Unreal Engine will be stored in SSD. Other items like project data will be stored in HDD. Also do you use NVIDIA driver or Debian non-free driver from repository (nvidia-kernel-dkms or such)? I always used Debian and I’ll keep using for UE4, I hope everything works ok

Just not to have to open Visual Studio 2015 is a relief. How building works on Linux? Can I use Sublime Text to edit files? Or do I have to use an IDE?

I haven’t used sublime in ue4. I’m not currently doing so much with C++. Gwenn does though.
You might want to dm, and ask. I believe Gwenn uses qt. I currently use eclipse. https://forums.unrealengine.com/member.php?413-Gwenn
A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums
Disney, Pixar, and dreamworks have been pushing Linux, and constantly trying to hire for Linux.
The stuff that they are doing with Linux is the stuff of legend. They are the ones pushing autodesk, nvidia, and amd to support Linux.
Which is why we are suddenly getting so much support for gpu drivers. I got a GTX1070 3 days after release, and had a driver that day.
At the same time they’re doing a lot of this for Redhat, and centOS. Kind of leaves the rest of our distro’s buggy, and waiting until patched. I just left centOS, and reinstalled debian.
I knew the debian drivers for nvidia would be glitchy for a few months.
Real-Time Graphics in Pixar Film Production - YouTube

i use Manjaro Linux the KDE version. have the best hardware driver support i ever seen. do you want the new nvidia driver? no problem thats are 4 mous clicks (systemsettings > hardwareconfiguration > video-nvidia > install (current nvidia 375.66))
for c++ i use Kdevelop, for 3d modells and texturing MODO and substance and krita

I have Nvidia 384.66 as latest driver for debian. Really Redhat/CentOs is best for support.(Most boring Distro’s Ive ever seen though) Due to being commercial. Followed by, Debian, and opensuse. Arch Linux is okay.

Visual Studio Code is a great tool that integrates well with UnrealEngine for Linux, you just need to install C++, C#, and LLDB support. I would reccomend VS Code as a #1 choice, simply because it has integration (it also has nice features such as multiple cursors, built in debug, and Git integration).

While I never used UE4 on Linux, I would advise against it if your game will be targeted on PC platform. In that case, vast majority of your players will likely be Windows gamers, so it just makes a lot more sense to develop, debug and playtest the game on the biggest platform it will be played on :slight_smile:

You’re more likely to hit bugs and glitches on Linux, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

Of course you can’t build for Windows from Linux, so there’s no avoiding it when you need to create a Windows build. Same goes for XB1, PS4 and Switch since their tools are all Windows-only but you could (and should) have a Windows box setup as a build worker (using a CI tool like Jenkins, for example) and make scripts that fetch from your repository and build those other versions for you.

Keep in mind that for UE4 on Linux you will need a few hundred GB for the editor.