Intel Core i7-7700K A Good Choice?

Hi,

I am getting a new desktop which I’ll use for both game development and playing. I was about to go with the new Intel Core i7-7700K CPU, but after reading some complaints about excessive overheating I am having a second thought. Should I get the i7 6700K instead? And how come this older version is more expensive than the newer one?

For the price I would get an X99 or X299 motherboard and a 6-core CPU. It wouldn’t cost a lot more… at the worst a little bit usually. The i7-6700K and i7-7700K are quite expensive CPUs and you are limited to Dual Channel memory configurations as well as 4-core CPUs. With X99 and X299 you have higher bandwidth with Quad Channel memory and CPU with more cores. Anyway get 32GB RAM if you want to work with UE4

I have i7 6700k and it is completely capable of handling everything in ue4.

Maybe consider a water cooler, they are pretty cheap these days :slight_smile:

Try not to use 1151 for development if possible. Unreal is heavily rely on multi-core and by getting 1151 means the platform will be stuck at 4c8t for many years.

x99 + E5 v3 (not v4) can be a very good choice considering both budget and performance (should you don’t want spend 7x24 in lightmass).

Overheat issue is mainly due to the cheap silicone layer embedded in consumer level of CPU, what you need is open it and replace with liquid metal.

I’d suggest Ryzen 7 1700X over the i7-7700K. Having more cores will benefit for rendering/compiling.