Looking for a critque on hand painted materials

edit: I have made these available for download here: a few (amateur) hand painted textures for those who want them. - Community Content, Tools and Tutorials - Unreal Engine Forums

I know this isn’t UE4 specific, but I’ve just created my first hand painted textures and was wondering if anyone would like to give me some feed back on them. appreciated.

From top left to bottom right

Autumn leaves, Plain grass, Spring grass, dirt, planks, cliffs.

Hopefully you can tell what they are, but just in case :slight_smile:

The autumn leaves are really good and detailed but perhaps a little bit to detailed ^^.
It’s like they don’t fit in the set.

About the cliffs, you may have a problem with the white highlights on the rock…
If you include such feature (specularity, highlights…) in the diffuse map, you should do the same for all of them.

In short, the textures are good, taken one after the other but, in my opinion, they may lack of consistency as a set.

Edit : I still look at the leaves texture and I’m impressed ! It’s really good !

Thanks for the feed back JogoiA, I still have all the files and can remove the white from the cliff material but it isn’t actually all too visible in engine, problem is if i remove the baked lighting on these materials they stop looking hand painted, i think i need to watch a few more tutorials to really get a hand on it.
Totally agree about the leaves being too detailed. That is something that i have been struggling with a lot. I usually put a lot of effort into making my textures as realistic as possible. turns out that’s easier that making it look low detail, go figure. :smiley:

I like the dirt texture. However, it is not really possible to judge the textures without seeing a scene using it. Overall, good impression, but the first grass is a little bit too bright for my taste. I agree with above poster, the leave tecture may be actually a bit too detailed… (also when compared to the other textures, which are rather simplistic stylized)

Or, you add it to other textures. It’s not a problem of quality, it’s a matter of consistency ^^

Picasso said : “When I was a child, I was drawing as Raphael but it took me a lifetime to learn how to draw as a child.:slight_smile:
Maybe you should look at what you’ve done with your grass and flower texture… A color background and flat and almost symbolic items on top of it.

BTW, if you plane to put your leaves texture in the trash, I humbly propose to give it a new life… In my project :wink:

I never put anything in the trash, at worst i have a folder on my resources drive labeled “failed attempts” so i can look back and not make the same mistakes again (its a big folder :smiley: )

At saying that, your welcome to use any of them if you so wish, I’ve put them in the Assets section of the forum here:

That’s really cool ! I was saying that as a joke but now… I will do some tests and if I keep it, I’ll let you show the result ^^.
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

I hope you find them useful. :slight_smile:

Your cliff texture would look great in a scene with some depth. Your planks are very well shaped but could use a obvious mark that they fasten to the floor or whatever is under/behind them. I agree that the plain grass is too bright. The leaves are awesome. The spring grass is cool, but depending on the project, it may be better to create your own spring foliage to put over the grass. Keep up the good work!!