Unreal Engine 4 Editor Slow On Fast Desktop?

Hi,

I might be pushing the limits here, but I am trying to run current Unreal Engine 4 editor in a VMWare virtual machine.
The guest Windows 10 Pro 64Bit VM has 4 CPU cores allocated and 8GB RAM.
The host OS is Linux Mint 18.2 KDE 64Bit.
UE4 editor works in the VM but it’s a bit on the slow side?

Desktop specs:

• Desktop Code Name: “Optimus Prime”
  • ASUS SaberTooth 990FX r2.0 Motherboard
  • AMD FX 4GHz 8-Core CPU (4 cores allocated to VM)
  • 32GB DDR3 RAM (8GB allocated to VM)
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 GPU (Linux proprietary display driver v378.13)

I’ve already compiled the editor’s source for Linux, but am not sure the Linux version does all the things that the Windows version does??
We want to target the following platforms:
(1) HTML5
(2) Android
(3) Windows Store
(4) XBox Live

Will the Linux version of UE4 editor build for the above 4 targets?
Let us know , thanks!

16BitSoft Inc.
Video Game Design Studio

The problem is that you’re trying to run unreal engine in a VM. It doesn’t work well, try dual boot instead.

The problem is that you’re trying to run unreal engine in a VM. It doesn’t work well, try dual boot instead.
[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I haven’t run Windows natively for over 10 years.

I have no problem using the Linux version of Unreal Engine 4 editor, but I don’t see 2 of the export platforms we wish to support:

• Windows Store
  • XBox Live

I only see: Linux, HTML5, & Android export options in the UE4 editor on my Linux?
Let me know, thanks!

VMWare Workstation? Even on Linux it supports up to DirectX 10 only. You won’t be getting full GPU DirectX 11 support in a virtual machine like that to use the GTX 970 properly with UE4.
If you want to use UE4 you need to boot Windows10 natively and let it use the whole 32GB RAM because it will need those. UE4 is fast if it can access the GTX 970 directly and 32GB RAM.
It is pretty obvious that it is slow in a virtual machine with just 8GB RAM and emulated DirectX 10 support with no direct access to DX11 on the GPU.

Ok…

But can I build a Windows Store game and XBox Live game using Linux version of Unreal Engine 4 editor??

I don’t know if you can compile a windows store or Xbox live game from the Linux editor but the save file are exactly the same. You can create your game on Linux and then launch your virtual machine and build from the command line. This is only dependent on cpu performance and does not need to be real time.

Alternatively, it is possible to get a virtual machine set up to run the editor well but you need to do a PCI-E pass through for the video card, which requires you to have a second GPU for the host. I use KVM\QEMU so I cant tell you how that is done in VMware.

Happy Coding,

Windows Store is not a supported platform of UE4, there’s a UWP version available from Microsoft but it’s not ideal. To get Xbox support you need to join ID@Xbox and if you get accepted then you’ll be able to purchase a developer kit and then you can contact Epic to get access to the version of the editor that supports Xbox

Hi,

Would an exported Windows game work with Microsoft’s “Desktop Bridge” Windows 10 Store converter?
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bridges/desktop

We are currently working with Microsoft to release our SDL2 game “LetterFall 5” to Windows 10 Store via above converter.
https://github.com/JeZ-l-Lee/SDL2-LettersFall5-Win10Store

Windows Store is the future of software distribution on Windows, UE4 editor should support it.

Are you so sure about that?

I bet that is just going to be another Microsoft huge mistake and failure.

They keep copycat Apple in the worst possible way and now they think to be able to force developers to publish on their store instead of Steam for PC games. That is not going to happen.
Just like the whole WindowsPhone thing got rejected by both developers and customers rather quickly. But they keep doing the same thing over and over and Windows10 is filled with all kind of spyware which makes it unusable unless using a 3rd party tool to disable all currently known Microsoft-phone-home nonsense spyware/malware in the OS.

No, it’s not. Windows store is complete garbage that noone needed or wanted in the first place.

Since a game is really complex I don’t think that would work for it. But also, for gaming there’s not really any reason to support the Windows Store specifically, everyone who games on PC will have Steam. The only reason to support the Windows Store is if you’re developing for Universal Windows Platform and the same build can then go to Xbox, but you don’t get as good of performance with UWP as you would with the native support for Xbox that UE4 is designed for.

So really, your best options right now are to develop for PC/Steam and once it’s in a good place then apply for ID@Xbox and become an Xbox developer which will get you the ability to release for Xbox.

Well, if you take a look at this thread VirtualBOX - UELauncher not working - Getting Started - Unreal Engine Forums it’s possible to get DirectX 11 to work (software Directx / very slow). It could be useful if you develop on Linux and only export to Windows / XBox platforms using a Windows VM.