4.17 Preview - July 13th - Live from Epic HQ

WHAT
4.17 is about to be released and our lovely Technical Director, Mike Fricker, will once again join the livestream to give us an in-depth overview of what features you can expect to see soon. There are many new features, so be ready to buckle in and learn all about the brand new updates!

Feel free to post any questions you have to this thread. Do know, however, that time will be tight since we have tons of information to provide, but we’ll try to get to any questions if possible.

WHEN
Thursday, July 13th @ 2:00PM ET Countdown]

WHERE
Twitch
Youtube

WHO
Mike Fricker - Technical Director - @mike_fricker](https://twitter.com/mike_fricker)
Chance Ivey - Sr Community Manager - @anonymous_user_c5ad40d01](https://twitter.com/iveytron)
Amanda Bott - Community Manager - @amandambott](https://twitter.com/amandambott)

ARCHIVE
?v=UwVoYfgP6ZY

PogChamp !

Hopefully the Initial release of the Geo tools are in there :slight_smile:

I hope to see Niagara inside!

Apple’s ARkit!

Woot! Always excited for a #FrickerStream

[Question]
Any news on the modding updates making it into 4.17? There was some talk at GDC that changes were coming to make the process of adding mod support much easier supposedly in 4.17,4.18.

Well, that is a big surprise I didn’t expect to hear about 4.17 for at least another two weeks fantastic news.

Hopefully, we will get another large amount of bug fixes and performance updates to the engine.

Question

What is the status of better shadow map filtering? Is it slated for 4.17? Will the better filtering be a high-end only feature, or is the plan to improve shadow maps with lower-than-epic settings too? Do you plan on implementing slope scaled shadow map depth bias since currently shadow map acne is a pretty severe problem?

Based on roadmap and current state of things on github, I dont think they will be.

New mobile features! :wink:

PCSS shadows at last? May be virtual texturing also.

Would be great to hear some news on the alembic geometry cache progress :smiley:

Unreal hype!

Personally i rather see more 4.16 releases, because of the plugin update work. But good to see overall progress on the engine.

Awesome, can’t wait!!

Are you finally gonna have an Oculus online subsystem that actually works through only blueprints? It is still missing the most important node, which is Join Session, so all the Oculus Online Subsystem nodes that are available so far are quite useless, since you still need to go into C++ to set a net ID for the player in order to use the standard Join Session node. A quick Google search for this issue will reveal how many people are struggling because of this unfortunate oversight. Also, why are there still no Oculus Touch nodes that provide the location and velocity of the motion controllers, like Vive nodes?

You better bring the old bloom back. There are hundreds of projects that depend on that artistic control.

i just really want better mobile performance and support

Please… Dynamic Spotlights on mobile. UDK Had it. Unity Has it, now it’s time for UE4 to get Dynamic Spotlights. Also, Better mobile performance.

I hope to see a button “Make all game” ! :slight_smile: