Does it matter what scale a game is created at?

Specifically in terms of frame rate and online bandwidth economics, does it matter if a game is scaled a bit big? Big being say 10x larger then the engine default template character pawn. So far my game is scaled about 10x larger then engine templates. I don’t notice any framerate lag as I scale up and down and it doesn’t seem large enough to make textures look more pixelated but if anyone has any deeper insights it would be appreciated.

Physics do not scale linearly.
Take a read here. the last post is very informative.

I would expect a lot of errors with 10x larger everything. I like to make sure the units are meters and generally use the included character model as a good reference for scale.

Yes it matters. Don’t do it for reason I can not even begin to explain.

At the very least your browser assets should be at true world scale.

Thanks perhaps I will bring it back. I’ve noticed no errors or behavior difference at all but I’ll’see.

Any quick points of what areas are effected? I notice no difference in single player but was worried maybe issues would come up in multiplayer. I did notice lighting errors at around 20 x larger but 2x - 10x larger doesn’t seem to cause any noticeable issues on the face of it at least.

Importing assets
Physics
Lightmass
Collisions
Animations

may all begin to show errors. I’d avoid it all costs, I did the exact same thing and about a month in things became nightmarish.

I’m afraid it does matter about the scaling. Because The numbers are often OFF. As when I was transferring assets from one project to another. I found the scaling numbers were different in the other project because I had a smaller skybox I was transferring over into while the other project had a bigger skybox and it affected some of the location positions of the brushes because the two skyboxes were not the same size…

you know, i thought about this for my company project.
I thought “what if i scale everything down 0.001%, i can have infinity world/landscape even at 1x”.
It didnt work out as planned lol. I had so many errors and bugs and physics was a nightmare.

Well the most common problem is miss matched assets that does not match the relative scale of the player model where 1 UnrealUnit = 1 cm is the know scale in UE4.

UDK did not have a set scale so you land up with this.

So it was not uncommon for content creators to build ready made assets to an unknown scale so one would land up wasting time making things fit as to what they had set their projects relative scale to.

The other issue is maintaining the “fidelity” of the asset as imported from app A to app B so it’s common practice to say set 3ds Max to 1 MaxUnit = 1 cm to match the known scale so how something is made in Max imports into the same world scale in which it was built.

Some other stuff

For years though the issues as to scale has been a deep subject as to the problems that can be introduced into the work in progress that the simple solution was for everyone to accept “real world” measurements as best practice.

The big thing though is if you stick with a known scale then the results becomes predictable than going off scale and running into problems where scale is the root of the problem.

The number one reason.

As Epic improves rendering and physics features using real world models there may be a day your work will turn to mush as most real world models are seeded off the local scale and not the relative scale of an object.

A question though why go 10X off scale? Is if for a project or are you making up your own scale?