Impromptu VR Vector Field Painter

Wanted to gauge interest for this tool we’ve been making. Basically, it lets you author and edit vector fields by painting in VR.

Typically vector fields are painstaking authored by some arcane Maya process or generator script. That’s kind of awkward! But it’s just a big ol’ 3D grid of vectors, so painting them in VR turns out to be an excellent alternative. The tool outputs .FGA files which you can import into your projects, and you can also import your own existing vector fields and edit them.
Here’s a quick video of the tool in use. Better quality and more videos on my blog. Would you benefit from this thing?

Plan is to release it on Itchio and maybe Steam for some small amount of money in the next few weeks.

Here’s a gif of a VF I painted in like, one minute.

I made 1 UI suggestion. B) yall should get this thing.

This is out now!

Here’s where ya get it

Just bought this. Great work guys.

This will benefit our artists greatly.

Great work! Unfortunately I really need higher resolution vector fields. Is there a chance that we get an update? Unreal supports up to 128 voxels per axis.

I maxxed it out at 16x16 because it seemed the most folks’d tend to need and I was laggin’ out trying to edit larger ones. The project files are included, though, and you can easily make another button that sets the res higher! Performance might not be an issue at your end (especially if you cook out a build with nativisation).

Sweet, just snagged it, looking forward to testing

Dude! Hell yeah! Just picked up a copy. Thank you so much for making this. It was much much needed.

No probs, thanks for the support :smiley:

this is really great idea.

thanks ^_______^

@JoeWintergreen this is awesome!
I was wondering if there is the possibility to save the vector field once created, or if it is still an on-going feature. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Yep, you can save! It puts an .FGA file in the VFSaved directory.

I was searching for an easy and sensible way to create vector fields and stumbled upon your application.
It’s all I ever dreamed of when it comes to making this kind of stuff, thank you so much! :slight_smile:

On a different note:
I encountered a bug when using teleportation that caused the camera to flip 180° degrees.
I’ve experienced this in multiple UE4 Projects that use the out-of-the-box VR functions and was able to fix it by disabling the
camera based rotation input (z-axis) for the teleport arrow. I hope this might be of help.

Kind regards and thanks again!

Schnittbrot

Thanks! I’ll whack that on the list :smiley:

There’s a new version of this out:

-Added options for editing much higher res vector fields, but can’t recommend 'em performance wise
-Added a non-VR mode so you can use mouse and keyboard to paint vector fields now - not as intuitive, but hey
-Added new Paint Modes - you can still paint directionality (default) but also you can Attract and Repel
-Other stuff

Also, the tool is now Coming Soon On Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/684330 Consider showing your support by wishlisting it!

Hooray! This is on Steam!

Finally got to use this on a project. Frikin heck mang this is soooooo useful! Thank you! :smiley:

:smiley: My pleasure! Glad it helped ya out.

Looks cool! I’m not able to tell from the description in the Steam store, but can we import a mesh as a “guide” for the vector fields? I’m trying to create fields that trace trees, so ideally I could bring in a .obj of a tree and match the field to it. Possible? Thanks!