First person game with third person models (for other cameras)?

Hey everyone, this is my first time working on a first person game, and I was wondering what approach you guys would recommend for this type of game. It is a multiplayer FPS, so that would mean that I need to use different meshes for when a pawn is possessed vs being viewed from the “outside”.

My issue here is that I’m not sure how this works when it relates to animations… Do I create two different animations, one for each model? How do I make sure that they are in sync? Or do I use the same third person mesh for the first person view and just hide the bones that could mess up the camera?

For example, in Overwatch it looks like this:
2355b0b30ff95ffe94ec1b9d1c58c7606bf46cae.jpeg
94686-9bc306382c34e34c7f20ad8b6b504de3-650-80.jpg

The first person model matches the third person model so perfectly that it looks to me as if they just hid the bones from the third person one and called it a day. I’m kinda lost regarding this, so any pointers would be appreciated…

Thank you!

Obligatory link to my ye olde article on the matter : True First Person Viewpoint.

You’ll probably find that Overwatch is using the traditional method - separate first/third person animations.

Hey Kris,

Excellent short article! Especially the part in which you outline the issues with the traditional method:

Specifically regarding the first issue; how would I approach this if I’m doing, say, a melee animation? If I have a sword for example, do I just have to match/sync both animations by eye and hope they look good together? How do devs usually approach these issues?

I’d like to use the “newer” method of just using one mesh, but I have a feeling sword animations aren’t gonna look too visually appealing in that way… Do you know of any first person games that have at least some melee weapons other than using the butt of the weapon that utilize this method?

Also, why would so many studios decide to opt in for the traditional method?

Thanks!