NyLeve Falls Remake

Hey guys, I know this probably does not belong to Unreal Engine forums, but I figured off-topic section would be fine, as I may have some chances of finding some original Unreal fans over here :slight_smile:

So… after a while I’ve finally managed to finish my latest personal project. Some of you, who have played the first Unreal game may recognize the place. It’s NyLeve Falls level. There are some things I am not happy about, and the quality of the output is not the best since I could not afford enough renderfarm time to get out high quality frames, but I had to call it done at some point. Yes, this is not UE4 project, but offline-rendered one, done in 3ds Max and rendered in Corona renderer.

I love the game to this day for its amazing atmosphere and soundtrack, but these days, graphics are a bit dated. Back in the day, just those few polygons, textures and soundtrack were enough for my brain to draw all the details into the world, so I tried to re-create how the level looked in my imagination when I first played the game. I still have little hope Epic could eventually make re-master of the game :slight_smile:

And next thing on my TODO list right after finishing this is resuming learning of UE4, so eventually, I could come up with something similar, but in realtime UE4. I am looking forward to that.

Anyway, here we go:

Hope you like it :slight_smile:

Really nice quality, if you have that much done already you could probably convert that to UE4 and get it looking pretty nice

Thank you! I may give it eventually a shot, but I am quite skeptical :slight_smile: I know UE4 can handle even unoptimized high poly geometry, but it really goes into extreme here. I think I had around 92 billion of instanced polygons in the final scene. Not sure I could render it in UE4 without crashing it. :slight_smile: Most of all, vast majority of shading is procedural, so almost nothing is UVd. I really hate UVs, they are my mortal enemy :smiley:

This is absolutely incredible, I love it. You are 100% correct when you say the original UNREAL graphics are dated. I have played the game in its entirety probably 10 times or so. I have been working my way through the game again over the last year or so and really am finding it a chore this time for that simple reason. An updated remake is long overdue and would be appreciated by many people. Once again, fantastic work on this. Congratulations, well done.

Absolutely breathtaking!!!

I do have one nitpick about the waterfall though. It looked like it was falling too fast.

Looks excellent! Though I have one critique : Original NyLeve level looked very “alien”. This one feels like somewhere in Canada or Northern states of USA.