Trees and anti-aliasing problem

Hi! I was experimenting with trees and I found something interesting. When I switch anti-aliasing method to MSAA I got result wchich I wanted from beginning but performance is low. Is there anything that I can do to get result similar to MSAA on other AA?

Maybe try running at higher resolution scale (like between 100 and 200 percent) and having FXAA. It should be less taxing than MSAA.

Oh wait, I just found out a way to improve the performance.

“To get a result closer to the deferred renderer, you can make your OpacityMask input into a steeper gradient. For example if you have an OpacityMaskClipValue of .33, you can do a Mul with 5 and then Subtract (.33 * 5). This will make the OpacityMask gradient steeper, pushing the translucent bands closer together, but keeping the value .33 in the same spot.”

This makes the leaves thicker with MSAA and improves performance by a lot. But keep in mind the opacity mask value doesn’t have to be multiplied by 5, it can (and should) be multiplied by a higher number. This keeps the density of the leaves from fading with distance. MSAA is still 10 to 20 percent slower than FXAA (depending on the scene).